The Motivation Problem

GMoose

I've been trying to avoid HB and reading into the loss because I just feel flat about football right now. I just read the first article since the game, and in one short piece I saw for players (including Marcel Jones, a veteran) cite arrogance and motivation as a problem. I cannot begin to describe how much this frustrates me. Didn't they learn there lesson after they got embarrassed at home by TTU after their heads got too big when they beat Missouri? No. Certainly it wasn't a problem The next week either, oh wait. We lost to freaking ISU at home. So then it must have been better right? Nope. We got too high on ourselves and got outclassed by a sad excuse of a Texas team. After the most painful loss of most of their careers, certainly we would learn to respect every opponent right, even one we beat by 5 scores in September? WRONG.

The one single thing that has kept this team from reaching the next level is staying hungry, motivation, arrogance, whatever you want to call it, it's mental. It comes down to the coaching staff, they need to see to it that our guys aren't thinking like they have been. Do you think Saban let Alabama overlook any opponents after getting smacked by Utah?

My opinion is that the whole motivation excuse is just that-an excuse, and a piss poor one at that. I have never and will never understand how players can't get up for each and every game, but I'm not a D-1 athlete.

Thoughts?

What happened to the whole talk of players running through a wall for Pelini? I haven't heard this for awhile. Also, I heard when he was at LSU, every Friday before a game he would read something or show a video to get the team motivated and pumped for the game. Has he changed his coaching style since he became head coach? I wonder...

I understand your point, and I think it's something they need to take care of... But I thought the team seemed motivated ever since the SDSU game this year, except against Washington. And that Washington game was ridiculous, nobody was motivated for that, not even the fans. That was a pretty rare event.

I do think Bo has some work to do in terms of getting his guys mentally focused for each game. They could take a page out of Chip Kelly's book and use the no-huddle offense, which I think helps. You watch Oregon this year, and they're not competing against the defense, they're competing against themselves. It's not "how much can we beat these guys by?" but instead, "how fast can we go today? can we put up more points than we did last week?" It's harder to disrespect your opponent when you literally don't care who your opponent is.

What happened to the whole talk of players running through a wall for Pelini? I haven't heard this for awhile. Also, I heard when he was at LSU, every Friday before a game he would read something or show a video to get the team motivated and pumped for the game. Has he changed his coaching style since he became head coach? I wonder...

Whether they would run through a wall for him or not is not what I'm talking about. The players love Bo, and I love that. And reading something and showing a video is cute and all, but I don't think you can deny there is a problem. 2009, we got the big win over Mizzou, everyone anointed us as the best thing since sliced bread, and it clearly got the the players because they came out as flat as I've ever seen a team against TTU the next week. Same thing this year with Texas. we pummeled then might Daniel Thomas and KSU, while Texas was floundering. Everyone called for us to get the big revenge win, and again it clearly got to the players because we had NO business losing to Texas this year. Everyone pits Nebraska over UW as this year's iron clad lock for bowl season, and it got to their heads again, worse than ever. That showing in the Holiday bowl was nothing short of embarrassing.

I understand your point, and I think it's something they need to take care of... But I thought the team seemed motivated ever since the SDSU game this year, except against Washington. And that Washington game was ridiculous, nobody was motivated for that, not even the fans. That was a pretty rare event.

I do think Bo has some work to do in terms of getting his guys mentally focused for each game. They could take a page out of Chip Kelly's book and use the no-huddle offense, which I think helps. You watch Oregon this year, and they're not competing against the defense, they're competing against themselves. It's not "how much can we beat these guys by?" but instead, "how fast can we go today? can we put up more points than we did last week?" It's harder to disrespect your opponent when you literally don't care who your opponent is.

Thank you for pointing that out, I forgot that one too! We demolished Heisman hopeful Jake Locker and UW at their house and got high on ourselves again, and put together another atrociously uninspiring performance the next week against the might Jackrabbits.

This is just me, but I don't like it when I hear the players' attitudes are very business-like. Everytime I hear that they come out flat. Every team has their own way of acting, but sometimes I would just like to see some guys getting each other fired up.

Mostly I just want to see someone leading out there and inspiring the troops. Getting in guys ears if their head isn't in the game. When someone has a great play they are there knocking them to the ground and smacking them in the facemask as a celebration. Intensity...all that kind of stuff.

They can't do that anymore or else Harvey will come out and say they are crazy and out of control. Remember, you are not aloud to be yourself and show emotion at NU, it's against the rules.

I think Bo is looking for guys to step up and be vocal/emotional leaders. This team never had that. For all the Rex Burkhead's and Alex Henery's who lead by example we need our balance of Tommie Frazier's that get in guy's faces.

You have to also remember that this season Nebraska went from Hunter to Hunted. We had the target on our backs. Everyone from the Big12 wanted to beat us and then after we run that gauntlet (quite well in my opinion) we get a washington team that wanted to avenge their loss. I think just as much as anything else these kids were tired of being the favorite. Tired of trying to live up to the lofty expectations. Tired of the disappointment. Remember that 07 was a disaster and there are plenty of kids that were there for that. Then the next two years were over-achieving years. This is the first season the kids had big goals that they and the fans/media expected them to accomplish. We lost the CCG last year and were pumped to be in the Holiday bowl. Because we were supposed to get blown out by Texas. We exceeded expectations. This year after blowing the lead in the CCG we fell short.

Next season we will be hunted again as we a the new kids in the conference and the whole nation will be taking note of how we perform. These kids will start to get used to it as will Bo. When he coached LSU they were not the hunted. They were part of the SEC pack. IF Bo can keep us performing well eventually the players get used to being the hunted and the new kids coming in learn fast. It just takes time.

To be honest, Husker Nation was in trouble from the moment they announced this literal rematch on the "BCS: Bowl Selection Special." The announcement wreaked of sarcasm and the Big XII Conference giving us the unspoken, symbolic double "middle finger" salute on our way out the door.

I say this for two reasons: 1) Generally, the Big XII division champion -- that loses the Conference Championship Game -- goes to either the "Cotton Bowl" (Dallas, TX), or the "Alamo Bowl" (San Antonio, TX) as a rule of thumb. I'm sure all of us agree that both the Cotton and Alamo Bowls are held in higher regard than the "Holiday Bowl", especially the "Cotton Bowl". The fact that we were inexplicably passed over for both is not a coincidence. They are two bowl games -- with Big XII tie-ins -- that are both hosted in Texas aka "The Motherland of the Big XII Conference". The tension (that you could cut with a knife) and "bad blood" between us and Texas on all things football -- without question -- played a significant role in the snub. Especially since we are leaving for the Big 10, which leaves the Big XII minus one of its marquee programs and its proverbial 800 lb gorilla of the North Division. Our defection has cost the Big XII money, prestige, and conference strength -- not to mention vitality for the future. All that creates a toxic elixir to give us the royal "F.U." as we depart the conference -- which they did.

Seeing that we "stomped out" U Dub -- at home -- by a staggering 35 point margin, there was no reason for us to play them a second time. We should have been playing a much more respectable opponent, considering our record. This is why I was in favor of declining the invitation to the "Holiday Bowl" on principle alone, because it was so blatantly obvious that what has been done was carried out with malicious intent and a thinly veiled ulterior motive/agenda in mind.

The on-field performance was indicative of a team and coaching staff that didn't want to be there. Hell, the fans didn't want to be there either. It seemed that as the game wore on, the less interested we became. Through my TV set at home, it was a very palpable sense/feeling -- from the coaches, players & fans -- of lets get this over with and get ready for the Big 10. I could only imagine what it was like at Qualcomm Stadium in SD,CA.

Anyway, when you consider all of the scenarios/circumstances, I believe this bowl performance -- from bowl preparation to the on-field performance -- was an aberration for Pelini and Co. I truly believe "Husker Nation" (from the Dr. Tom on down to the scout team plus the fans) were just too overcome with anger & hate for Texas and the Big XII in general that we lost our focus/direction by seasons end. The mental and emotional grind of all the built-up ambivalence/apathy was too much for us to try to overcome and re-focus one more time -- particularly for a U Dub team we already smoked by 35 earlier. The "Holiday Bowl" felt more like a punishment or demotion than a bowl game.

In closing, "Husker Nation" had high expectations placed upon us by the media and ourselves to do big things this season and go to a BCS bowl game. That's cool because it made sense based on the talent and coaching we have in our possession. However, as fans, we also harbored a very palpable and tangible anger/ hate throughout this season like we've never had before. I truly believe that the ballplayers felt our sentiments, along with their own, and were ultimately burdened by the "revenge" factor and figurative "bucket of blood" that we wanted as fans for all other Big XII affiliates on our way out the door. When that didn't materialize after two "L's" to both Texas and aTm -- games we had no business losing -- the angst and anxiety levels spiked throughout Husker Nation. The loss to old school, arch-rival Oklahoma -- in a game where we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory -- was gut-wrenching which caused us the fans' "blood rage" to boil over and left the kids "punch drunk" from the perspective of psyche and "swagger". Finally, the disrespect and humiliation felt from being placed in the Holiday Bowl against a U Dub team we already smoked? ..... Well that was the figurative thump on the forehead that toppled us over. The "Holiday Bowl" was really over before it started. The only chance the Huskies had of beating us was to catch us disengaged, unmotivated, and uninspired. It played out that way, exactly. The end result: UW 19 - Nebraska 7.

Here's to happier times and a new beginning in the BIG TEN...........Throw Da Bones :throwdabones1:

This was an undisciplined team from the start. The Fumbles, dropped passes, the penalties, the lack of bringing the "A" game each and every week. This all points to the coaches. The players are also responsible for their fair share of the blame, but the coaches should have the little things worked out by now.

Every team gets dropped passes, penalties and fumbles. But the excessive FUMBLES AND PENALTIES we have been produceing this year have been a joke. Many are right, we shoot ourselves in the foot more then not. And its really upsetting because this was the year i thought everything would come into play. We finally got those top 10 wins. Martinez was lighting things in the beginning but like the norm we fell on our face. After martinez went down we were scrambling for answers and solutions. Burkhead really stepped up but sometimes you need more then that. I dont know if firing Watson is the answer, or having someone else step up as QB be the answer. Someone said something on here that made sense. Green has been here for 2 years now and doesnt seem to have improved, he still seems well green when he goes out there. It sucks because we will never find a talent like Henry ever again and he has saved this teams a**es more then a few times. I can only hope we can clean this stuff up because the penalties and fumbles are makeing us look like a pop warner team.

To be honest, Husker Nation was in trouble from the moment they announced this literal rematch on the "BCS: Bowl Selection Special." The announcement wreaked of sarcasm and the Big XII Conference giving us the unspoken, symbolic double "middle finger" salute on our way out the door.

I say this for two reasons: 1) Generally, the Big XII division champion -- that loses the Conference Championship Game -- goes to either the "Cotton Bowl" (Dallas, TX), or the "Alamo Bowl" (San Antonio, TX) as a rule of thumb. I'm sure all of us agree that both the Cotton and Alamo Bowls are held in higher regard than the "Holiday Bowl", especially the "Cotton Bowl". The fact that we were inexplicably passed over for both is not a coincidence. They are two bowl games -- with Big XII tie-ins -- that are both hosted in Texas aka "The Motherland of the Big XII Conference". The tension (that you could cut with a knife) and "bad blood" between us and Texas on all things football -- without question -- played a significant role in the snub. Especially since we are leaving for the Big 10, which leaves the Big XII minus one of its marquee programs and its proverbial 800 lb gorilla of the North Division. Our defection has cost the Big XII money, prestige, and conference strength -- not to mention vitality for the future. All that creates a toxic elixir to give us the royal "F.U." as we depart the conference -- which they did.

Seeing that we "stomped out" U Dub -- at home -- by a staggering 35 point margin, there was no reason for us to play them a second time. We should have been playing a much more respectable opponent, considering our record. This is why I was in favor of declining the invitation to the "Holiday Bowl" on principle alone, because it was so blatantly obvious that what has been done was carried out with malicious intent and a thinly veiled ulterior motive/agenda in mind.

The on-field performance was indicative of a team and coaching staff that didn't want to be there. Hell, the fans didn't want to be there either. It seemed that as the game wore on, the less interested we became. Through my TV set at home, it was a very palpable sense/feeling -- from the coaches, players & fans -- of lets get this over with and get ready for the Big 10. I could only imagine what it was like at Qualcomm Stadium in SD,CA.

Anyway, when you consider all of the scenarios/circumstances, I believe this bowl performance -- from bowl preparation to the on-field performance -- was an aberration for Pelini and Co. I truly believe "Husker Nation" (from the Dr. Tom on down to the scout team plus the fans) were just too overcome with anger & hate for Texas and the Big XII in general that we lost our focus/direction by seasons end. The mental and emotional grind of all the built-up ambivalence/apathy was too much for us to try to overcome and re-focus one more time -- particularly for a U Dub team we already smoked by 35 earlier. The "Holiday Bowl" felt more like a punishment or demotion than a bowl game.

In closing, "Husker Nation" had high expectations placed upon us by the media and ourselves to do big things this season and go to a BCS bowl game. That's cool because it made sense based on the talent and coaching we have in our possession. However, as fans, we also harbored a very palpable and tangible anger/ hate throughout this season like we've never had before. I truly believe that the ballplayers felt our sentiments, along with their own, and were ultimately burdened by the "revenge" factor and figurative "bucket of blood" that we wanted as fans for all other Big XII affiliates on our way out the door. When that didn't materialize after two "L's" to both Texas and aTm -- games we had no business losing -- the angst and anxiety levels spiked throughout Husker Nation. The loss to old school, arch-rival Oklahoma -- in a game where we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory -- was gut-wrenching which caused us the fans' "blood rage" to boil over and left the kids "punch drunk" from the perspective of psyche and "swagger". Finally, the disrespect and humiliation felt from being placed in the Holiday Bowl against a U Dub team we already smoked? ..... Well that was the figurative thump on the forehead that toppled us over. The "Holiday Bowl" was really over before it started. The only chance the Huskies had of beating us was to catch us disengaged, unmotivated, and uninspired. It played out that way, exactly. The end result: UW 19 - Nebraska 7.

Here's to happier times and a new beginning in the BIG TEN...........Throw Da Bones :throwdabones1:

Amen Brother

This team, players and coaching needs a checkup from the neck up. Seriously in need of a sports psychiatrist to sort out issue with mistakes, poor decision making, choking, motivation, leadership ... rage.

Seriously, at this point they should be willing to try anything.