Offensive Coching Staff Evaluations

I bet if someone asked Barney what type of blocking he would like to teach his kids, it wouldn't be the type that he is teaching right now. I believe he teaches what he is told to by the OC and it isn't the style he is used to.

I believe that was the problem when Wagner was here. Wagner wanted power blocking... blowing guys off the ball, instead it was finesse cat fight blocking.

I think all of our offensive staff is doing things that are outside of their expertise. I don't know why we would waste our time asking coaches to go learn a new scheme and techniques when we could just go get a great, proven OC and let him put his own staff together!

This could be the downfall of Bo Pelini's head coaching career...time to be a CEO instead of just a DC...the next couple weeks are a pivotal juncture in his career AND more importantly, our future success!!!!

I think this is exactly what is wrong right now. I don't think you can point the finger at a single guy(except maybe Gilmore). I don't think Cotton is comfortable with the style of offense we're running, nor is Watson. Maybe switching one of these guys is enough, or maybe we just need to get rid of everyone and bring in a new staff. I'd hate to see Brown go though; his receivers always caught the ball back in the day and you can't argue that the best hands on the team this year belonged to the Tight Ends.

Bo wants to run the Oregon offense and we don't have the coaches to run it. The offensive coaches went to Oregon in the past off season to try to learn it, but it wasn't enough time to learn all of it. And this is why there is a rumor going on that Frost will come and be the Co-OC for whoever replaces Watson since he's a former husker than knows Oregon's offense.

Is this true? Was there a story about this that I missed?

Funny. I've heard Bo desires the Tebow-esque Florida offense. Now if only we had a QB like Timmy. What a difference that would make.

I'd settle for an offense that can put up some points, that doesn't give up the ball like Lindsay Lohan gives up (well, you know), and maintain some semblance of consistancy

Funny. I've heard Bo desires the Tebow-esque Florida offense. Now if only we had a QB like Timmy. What a difference that would make.

I'd settle for an offense that can put up some points, that doesn't give up the ball like Lindsay Lohan gives up (well, you know), and maintain some semblance of consistancy

speeding tickets?!?!?!!?

:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

I bet if someone asked Barney what type of blocking he would like to teach his kids, it wouldn't be the type that he is teaching right now. I believe he teaches what he is told to by the OC and it isn't the style he is used to.

That's a damn good point.

Actually, I think the big problem we have is that "all" of our offensive coaches are trying to do things they're not familiar with "and" as they all come from different backgrounds (Barney-smashmouth, SW/Gilnore-WCO, etc) there's no synergy between them.

None of them are stupid. They're just out of their expertise.

Whoever the new OC is, he "must" be given authority to have a staff that fits what he wants. Without that, imo, we're right back to where we are now.

The offense was terrible in the second half of the season. The offense should be better at the end of the season, all units should be. This season has been a big disappointment. It was Bo's 3rd year, the 3rd year is when a great coach turns the corner and wins championships. I love Bo. If Bo keeps the staff together and continues to get these results Bo may not get a chance to change the staff. Bo could be fired himself. So here are my evaluations.

Watson has been a terrible play caller. He may have been handcuffed by Bo, but it was Watson who recruited Cody Green and to a lesser extent Zac Lee. I dont think he had much to do with recruiting T-Mart, but my point is he chose these QB's and he needs to take responsibility if they miss. He has reconstructed the offense in the middle of '09 at Bo's request and again to begin '10. So in fairness this has been his first season running a new offense. I believe he is a good coach, but it's not like he can be demoted. It would be a risk for Bo to think Watson could turn this offense around.

Gilmore is a bum. This guy does little for our recruiting. He turns a talent like Niles Paul into a punch line. Kinnie has produced, but as a JUCO how much credit can Gilmore get for that? Guys like Guillen, Cooper, and Enuwa who show promise in practice or games are unable to see the field. Chris Brooks can't get on the field at NU, but get hard looks from the NFL. I will stop ranting now.

Barney Cotton is OK in my opinion. I am frustrated with the sacks. I think the run game really improved this year. In Cotton's defense I will point out the talent level of the '10 OL. Caputo was a walk-on. Sirles is a 3-star RS-FR. Ricky Henry is a 3-star JUCO. DJ a 3-star. Keith Williams a 4-star. The OL depth was pretty thin when Barney showed up, and I expect the OL to improve as guys like A-Rod get into the mix.

Ron Brown bleeds husker red, gotta love this guy. He is an asset to recruiting efforts. It would be hard to get rid of this guy.

Tim Beck should be the OC next year right. He seems to be a bright young mind. He is a great recruiter. He has no OC experience, and has never called plays at the college level. There is not much more he can do for himself as a position coach, and one would think he will get a chance to be a OC somewhere if that is his desire. I dont know if he should be OC, but it would suck to lose him.

So what does Bo do? What would Tom do? I believe Tom is tutoring Bo, and will have a hand in this. I dont think Tom ever fired a coach. It eventually turned out OK for him, but Tom's AD through much of that tough time was Devany. Bo will be HC as long as Tom is AD, but how long is that? We all know how a 9-3 coach can be fired by a new AD. Im ranting again.

What should be done? Promote Tim Beck and bring some young coaches into the mix? Give the reins of the offense to a new OC who will change the system? Stick with everyone on the staff and give them year 2 to develop their system?

Im sorry if I am too long. Please no mention of names for new offensive coaches, they have all been stated in previous threads. I would like to hear opinions of the current coaches.

You are on your own on that opinion, in my mind Cotton needs to be the first one to go he is TERRIBLE!

Thank you! Cotton sucks! Should not be here in the first place.

Posted this in a new thread, but maybe it goes here. In regards to the coaching of the offensive line and the talent we have at that position, thought I'd submit these thoughts for consideration.

I researched and gathered this info off of Rivals. Wisconsin was known this year for it's great offensive line. The Badgers' offensive line goes:

327 (Outland Trophy-winning left tackle Gabe Carimi)

323 (first-team All-America left guard John Moffitt)

318 (center Bill Nagy)

315 (right guard Kevin Zeitler)

322 (right tackle Ricky Wagner).

Carimi - 3 star (2006)

Moffitt - 3 star (2006)

Nagy - 3 star (2006)

Zeitler - 3 star (2008)

Ricky Wagner - Walk on (Yes, walk on ... gotta love that!)

Note that the Oglesby, a 5 star in 2007 and Konz, a 4 star in 2008 are not starting.

jliehrs added some information on the guys: "Oglesby started 3 games his freshmen year, 10 games his sophomore year (injured in others), and started the first two games this year before hurting his knee, he played in a few other games, but had knee surgery in December. He has had a ton of injuries that have set him back, but was preseason 2nd team All-Big Ten according to Phil Steele and was on the Outland Trophy watch list. Konz started 9 games in 2009 and 10 games this year, he also got injured. He was a freshman All-American by sporting news last year, honorable mention All-Big Ten team and was on the watch list for the Rimington Trophy."

Outside of Oglesby and Konz, all the rest of the Badgers recruits are 3-stars going back to 2005, a couple are two stars ... and don't forget that Ricky Wagner walked on.

Doesn't one have to credit coaching to the success of Badger line?

This is my concern for our line and the coaching in that area. It is looking more and more like we will have 4-stars across the board ... however, without the proper coaching what does it matter?

Just some stats to add to the debate and comparison.

SheepdogMark

• Fire 1

Dude, your expectations are way to high. How many coaches that have NC under there belt did it within 3 years of becoming head coach. Bo Palini isn't a wizard. It takes time. Yes this season was a let down but we won 10 games. Be patient.

Saban at Alabama, Meyer at Florida. It get your point, but the end of this season feels like a step backward.

Neither of these were after being a HC for three years their first time.

The offense was terrible in the second half of the season. The offense should be better at the end of the season, all units should be. This season has been a big disappointment. It was Bo's 3rd year, the 3rd year is when a great coach turns the corner and wins championships. I love Bo. If Bo keeps the staff together and continues to get these results Bo may not get a chance to change the staff. Bo could be fired himself. So here are my evaluations.

Watson has been a terrible play caller. He may have been handcuffed by Bo, but it was Watson who recruited Cody Green and to a lesser extent Zac Lee. I dont think he had much to do with recruiting T-Mart, but my point is he chose these QB's and he needs to take responsibility if they miss. He has reconstructed the offense in the middle of '09 at Bo's request and again to begin '10. So in fairness this has been his first season running a new offense. I believe he is a good coach, but it's not like he can be demoted. It would be a risk for Bo to think Watson could turn this offense around.

Gilmore is a bum. This guy does little for our recruiting. He turns a talent like Niles Paul into a punch line. Kinnie has produced, but as a JUCO how much credit can Gilmore get for that? Guys like Guillen, Cooper, and Enuwa who show promise in practice or games are unable to see the field. Chris Brooks can't get on the field at NU, but get hard looks from the NFL. I will stop ranting now.

Barney Cotton is OK in my opinion. I am frustrated with the sacks. I think the run game really improved this year. In Cotton's defense I will point out the talent level of the '10 OL. Caputo was a walk-on. Sirles is a 3-star RS-FR. Ricky Henry is a 3-star JUCO. DJ a 3-star. Keith Williams a 4-star. The OL depth was pretty thin when Barney showed up, and I expect the OL to improve as guys like A-Rod get into the mix.

Ron Brown bleeds husker red, gotta love this guy. He is an asset to recruiting efforts. It would be hard to get rid of this guy.

Tim Beck should be the OC next year right. He seems to be a bright young mind. He is a great recruiter. He has no OC experience, and has never called plays at the college level. There is not much more he can do for himself as a position coach, and one would think he will get a chance to be a OC somewhere if that is his desire. I dont know if he should be OC, but it would suck to lose him.

So what does Bo do? What would Tom do? I believe Tom is tutoring Bo, and will have a hand in this. I dont think Tom ever fired a coach. It eventually turned out OK for him, but Tom's AD through much of that tough time was Devany. Bo will be HC as long as Tom is AD, but how long is that? We all know how a 9-3 coach can be fired by a new AD. Im ranting again.

What should be done? Promote Tim Beck and bring some young coaches into the mix? Give the reins of the offense to a new OC who will change the system? Stick with everyone on the staff and give them year 2 to develop their system?

Im sorry if I am too long. Please no mention of names for new offensive coaches, they have all been stated in previous threads. I would like to hear opinions of the current coaches.

You are on your own on that opinion, in my mind Cotton needs to be the first one to go he is TERRIBLE!

Thank you! Cotton sucks! Should not be here in the first place.

Posted this in a new thread, but maybe it goes here. In regards to the coaching of the offensive line and the talent we have at that position, thought I'd submit these thoughts for consideration.

I researched and gathered this info off of Rivals. Wisconsin was known this year for it's great offensive line. The Badgers' offensive line goes:

327 (Outland Trophy-winning left tackle Gabe Carimi)

323 (first-team All-America left guard John Moffitt)

318 (center Bill Nagy)

315 (right guard Kevin Zeitler)

322 (right tackle Ricky Wagner).

Carimi - 3 star (2006)

Moffitt - 3 star (2006)

Nagy - 3 star (2006)

Zeitler - 3 star (2008)

Ricky Wagner - Walk on (Yes, walk on ... gotta love that!)

Note that the Oglesby, a 5 star in 2007 and Konz, a 4 star in 2008 are not starting.

jliehrs added some information on the guys: "Oglesby started 3 games his freshmen year, 10 games his sophomore year (injured in others), and started the first two games this year before hurting his knee, he played in a few other games, but had knee surgery in December. He has had a ton of injuries that have set him back, but was preseason 2nd team All-Big Ten according to Phil Steele and was on the Outland Trophy watch list. Konz started 9 games in 2009 and 10 games this year, he also got injured. He was a freshman All-American by sporting news last year, honorable mention All-Big Ten team and was on the watch list for the Rimington Trophy."

Outside of Oglesby and Konz, all the rest of the Badgers recruits are 3-stars going back to 2005, a couple are two stars ... and don't forget that Ricky Wagner walked on.

Doesn't one have to credit coaching to the success of Badger line?

This is my concern for our line and the coaching in that area. It is looking more and more like we will have 4-stars across the board ... however, without the proper coaching what does it matter?

Just some stats to add to the debate and comparison.

SheepdogMark

I'm glad you brought this post up, otherwise I was going to.

Very similar to a post I made earlier in the season about Oregon's receivers and how they've only got 2 receivers still playing receiver that they recruited in the past 4 recruiting cycles. These types of things show that coaching can go a hell of a lot further than talent (most of the time).