Offensive Coching Staff Evaluations

To start off, saying year 3 is the year when coaches "should be turning the corner and winning championships" is ridiculous. Look at what Bo came in with. If you told me at the end of 2007 that 3 years from then we were a 10 win team I call you crazy. Bo has done great things, but expecting championships in year 3? A little much.

I agree that Twatson sucks at play calling and Gilmore is a bum. I have mixed feelings about Barney. All the stupid pointless sacks that T-Tragic took looked bad on Cotton's part.

I still have nightmares about the play where #3 had 8 seconds of game clock to throw and still didnt get it done. Their was countless times where everybody knew the blitz was coming but yet.... nobody did anything no aubile, no timeout, we just ran the play and got absolutely ate up on 3rd and long. Of course we when run it on first and second down and get nothing. Then be in a 3rd and long with a non passing QB we are gonna know the results before they happen.

ah... i never even pay attention to scout.

'm pretty sure the rivals numbers are quite different

just looked...pretty similar imo thats still good enough numbers to at least field an average group.....not a group that gave up a billion sacks the last 3 games and only had one good game against anything that resembled a good defense

I bet if someone asked Barney what type of blocking he would like to teach his kids, it wouldn't be the type that he is teaching right now. I believe he teaches what he is told to by the OC and it isn't the style he is used to.

I believe that was the problem when Wagner was here. Wagner wanted power blocking... blowing guys off the ball, instead it was finesse cat fight blocking.

I bet if someone asked Barney what type of blocking he would like to teach his kids, it wouldn't be the type that he is teaching right now. I believe he teaches what he is told to by the OC and it isn't the style he is used to.

I believe that was the problem when Wagner was here. Wagner wanted power blocking... blowing guys off the ball, instead it was finesse cat fight blocking.

I think all of our offensive staff is doing things that are outside of their expertise. I don't know why we would waste our time asking coaches to go learn a new scheme and techniques when we could just go get a great, proven OC and let him put his own staff together!

This could be the downfall of Bo Pelini's head coaching career...time to be a CEO instead of just a DC...the next couple weeks are a pivotal juncture in his career AND more importantly, our future success!!!!

• Fire 1

ah... i never even pay attention to scout.

'm pretty sure the rivals numbers are quite different

just looked...pretty similar imo thats still good enough numbers to at least field an average group.....not a group that gave up a billion sacks the last 3 games and only had one good game against anything that resembled a good defense

Thanks for checking your facts you have good points. I'm out, thanks for all your opinions.

I think all of our offensive staff is doing things that are outside of their expertise. I don't know why we would waste our time asking coaches to go learn a new scheme and techniques when we could just go get a great, proven OC and let him put his own staff together!

This could be the downfall of Bo Pelini's head coaching career...time to be a CEO instead of just a DC...the next couple weeks are a pivotal juncture in his career AND more importantly, our future success!!!!

I think this is exactly what is wrong right now. I don't think you can point the finger at a single guy(except maybe Gilmore). I don't think Cotton is comfortable with the style of offense we're running, nor is Watson. Maybe switching one of these guys is enough, or maybe we just need to get rid of everyone and bring in a new staff. I'd hate to see Brown go though; his receivers always caught the ball back in the day and you can't argue that the best hands on the team this year belonged to the Tight Ends.

Dude, your expectations are way to high. How many coaches that have NC under there belt did it within 3 years of becoming head coach. Bo Palini isn't a wizard. It takes time. Yes this season was a let down but we won 10 games. Be patient.

It's not about winning national championships, it's about the level of play we're seeing on the field. The last two years, the offense hasn't been playing "Nebraska football." The offense has been undisciplined, they've struggled to run the ball (at least with Martinez hurt), they've committed turnovers and penalties like crazy, and much of the time they haven't played physical.

I think I speak for most Nebraska fans when I say it's not so much about whether the team wins or not, and more about how the team plays. It's one thing to get beat by a better team, but I don't really think that happened this year. That's what is so frustrating.

really great post imo

I don't think Barney is the real problem here. I think Nebraska's offense and play calling in particular situations in general is really the culprit. People forget just how predictable of an offense that we have. IMO it's made the offensive line look worse than they actually are and if anything you can blame a lousy offensive coordinator for that.

There are no excuse for Barney. His OL sucked under Frank and the only reason we won so many games in 2003 was the defense (sound familer?) and a very easy schedule. That year NU's defense set the NCAA record for turnovers forced. We were still whipped by the only two teams with a pulse (UT and KSU) and we even lost a game to Mizzou that was an average team at best.

Then his three years here the second time around and it's clear that he is a failure as an OL coach.

I don't think Barney is the real problem here. I think Nebraska's offense and play calling in particular situations in general is really the culprit. People forget just how predictable of an offense that we have. IMO it's made the offensive line look worse than they actually are and if anything you can blame a lousy offensive coordinator for that.

You can also blame a crappy OL/Coach for putting an OC in a position of no matter what they call, it won't work because of very poor OL play.

I think this is exactly what is wrong right now. I don't think you can point the finger at a single guy(except maybe Gilmore). I don't think Cotton is comfortable with the style of offense we're running, nor is Watson. Maybe switching one of these guys is enough, or maybe we just need to get rid of everyone and bring in a new staff. I'd hate to see Brown go though; his receivers always caught the ball back in the day and you can't argue that the best hands on the team this year belonged to the Tight Ends.

Bo wants to run the Oregon offense and we don't have the coaches to run it. The offensive coaches went to Oregon in the past off season to try to learn it, but it wasn't enough time to learn all of it. And this is why there is a rumor going on that Frost will come and be the Co-OC for whoever replaces Watson since he's a former husker than knows Oregon's offense.

To start off, saying year 3 is the year when coaches "should be turning the corner and winning championships" is ridiculous. Look at what Bo came in with. If you told me at the end of 2007 that 3 years from then we were a 10 win team I call you crazy. Bo has done great things, but expecting championships in year 3? A little much.

I agree that Twatson sucks at play calling and Gilmore is a bum. I have mixed feelings about Barney. All the stupid pointless sacks that T-Tragic took looked bad on Cotton's part.

Bo inherited a team with MUCH more talent than BC inherited from Frank. The defense was obviously very poorly coached by Coz, but there was talent there which was proven once a good set of defensive coaches got ahold of them.

Just because your an oline coach doesn't mean that you know how to coach every blocking scheme there is. Some are better at teaching man blocking compared to zone blocking and vice versa.

If we ran a power running game with a little pass thrown in, I bet our oline would be like night and day compared to what we have now.

AMEN!!!! First thing I have read that makes sense. We have the talent but not for this offense. We need to keep it simple and line up. Cotton comes from a different mindset. I bet if we went back to power I, play action, vanilla offense. We would run folks out of the stadium.