Remember when 10-4 seemed like a dream?

I look at a guy like Harbaugh and wonder if he ever would have made it here.

He has a complicated system to be sure, and needed a guy like Luck to come along for it to really take off, as well as a couple years of putting it in place and perfecting it.

Now at Stanford, people are not really gonna care if they lay back in the shadows for a few years. I mean, come on, it's Stanford. This was a breakout season for sure for Stanford but I don't think their expectations are going to turn sky high either going forward. I think they recognize this is a run that will likely be over soon and it's back to being Stanford.

At Nebraska, Harbaugh probably has to do things differently. He would probably have to try to seek shortcuts/JUCOs to win right away instead of just doing what he could the first few years. And that probably means it takes longer to get the program to lift-off. After five or so unspectacular seasons, he is probably sent on his way or at least has plenty of fans calling for his head.

It is nice for these talented coaches to be at this darkhorse programs, Stanford or TCU or Boise or UConn. They can lay low and just perfect their system away from the limelight, pressure, and rabid expectations of a fanbase like ours. I really think the year in year out pressure to succeed can take away from the top programs.

I look at a guy like Harbaugh and wonder if he ever would have made it here.

He has a complicated system to be sure, and needed a guy like Luck to come along for it to really take off, as well as a couple years of putting it in place and perfecting it.

Now at Stanford, people are not really gonna care if they lay back in the shadows for a few years. I mean, come on, it's Stanford. This was a breakout season for sure for Stanford but I don't think their expectations are going to turn sky high either going forward. I think they recognize this is a run that will likely be over soon and it's back to being Stanford.

At Nebraska, Harbaugh probably has to do things differently. He would probably have to try to seek shortcuts/JUCOs to win right away instead of just doing what he could the first few years. And that probably means it takes longer to get the program to lift-off. After five or so unspectacular seasons, he is probably sent on his way or at least has plenty of fans calling for his head.

It is nice for these talented coaches to be at this darkhorse programs, Stanford or TCU or Boise or UConn. They can lay low and just perfect their system away from the limelight, pressure, and rabid expectations of a fanbase like ours. I really think the year in year out pressure to succeed can take away from the top programs.

So the pressure not to win right away at Stanford allowed Harbaugh to win right away at Stanford (from 4-8 in 2007 to 12-1 in 2010)? You are right about one thing: Having Andrew Luck is the difference maker for that team. Hard to believe that with Luck and Gerhart in the backfield last year, Stanford still managed to lose 5 games.

Remember when we went 13-0 and were national champions? Just sayin'.

There are a few of us (19-20-21) year olds who don't quite remember that. Same thing goes to the folks who tell us "act like you've been there before." Well, what if some of us haven't?

Doesn't mean you have to get all giddy over 10-4. I came of age during the dark days of the 80s, when we lost eleventy bajillion bowls in a row, and folks would hearken back to the golden olden days, the early 70s. So even then I knew Nebraska had higher standards than yearly heartbreakers to OU and some southern team in a bowl.

If you weren't there for the ride in the 90s, take it from us old folks (I'm 34!) - it happened, and it is where Nebraska is supposed to be. We may never win 3 (should have been 4) titles in one decade again, but we ought to snag one now and again. And 10-4 is NOT acceptable.

Having said that, we have to take our lumps early on in the B10, especially since it looks like Wats ain't going nowhere.

Remember when we went 13-0 and were national champions? Just sayin'.

There are a few of us (19-20-21) year olds who don't quite remember that. Same thing goes to the folks who tell us "act like you've been there before." Well, what if some of us haven't?

Doesn't mean you have to get all giddy over 10-4. I came of age during the dark days of the 80s, when we lost eleventy bajillion bowls in a row, and folks would hearken back to the golden olden days, the early 70s. So even then I knew Nebraska had higher standards than yearly heartbreakers to OU and some southern team in a bowl.

If you weren't there for the ride in the 90s, take it from us old folks (I'm 34!) - it happened, and it is where Nebraska is supposed to be. We may never win 3 (should have been 4) titles in one decade again, but we ought to snag one now and again. And 10-4 is NOT acceptable.

Having said that, we have to take our lumps early on in the B10, especially since it looks like Wats ain't going nowhere.

I didn't really mean to have the post in that context. I merely meant that, while I'm disappointed by the way we finished 10-4, I'll still take it over sitting at home watching bowl games, wishing we were in one. I didn't start rabidly following NU football until 2002, so hearing from my Dad, I thought Nebraska was the best of the best, and historically we are. In my time as a diehard fan, I've put up with 7-7, 10-3, 5-6, 8-4, 9-5, 5-7, 9-4, 10-4, and 10-4 again. 73-44 record in that time span. Still, if we consider this rock bottom, than we have it pretty good. Just look at OU in their days of futility in the 1990's. Makes me a bit sad, that I wasn't around yet for 1970, 1971 and don't remember 94, 95, 97. Looking back and at clips of those years, makes me ridiculously proud to be a Husker. I wouldn't have it any other way. Just desperately wanting another National Title. Seems like every big game lately, we've came away with heartbreak. None have hurt worst for me, than 05 TT when LeKevin intercepted it, and than fumbled it back, 06 Texas, 08 Texas Tech, 09 Virginia Tech and 09 Texas. To the older generation, everyone says that 83 Miami hurt the worst, but to me 09 Va Tech is the loss, that when mentioned, takes me back to the very place I was watching Tyrod Taylor pull some magic out of his ass. It's good when the losses hurt, it means your getting somewhere. Somewhere back closer to the upper tier of college football. I would love nothing more than to win the Big 10 title next year. The way I see it going though, is taking our lumps early in the season, and than having to put on Bo Pelini-esque stretch run ala 2008 or 2009.