How Long?

Im new to the board but have been attending games since i was able to as a kid and have been thru the good and bad of recent husker football. My question for all is how long will BO allow Tom to continue run this program? It started with Tom choosing Solich as a coach which was an ok choice in my opinion but Tom left the program and it started to change. Now BO and Tom has been back in the program for 3 years and yes slowly becoming a top program again but how much of an influence does Dr. Tom still have on Bo's decisions. Since the conference with Harvey and Tom it seems like the team lost the fire and passion we saw at the beginning of the season. So my question to you if infact nothing changes in the next two years does BO leave Nebraska or does Tom step down as AD First.

Tom will step down when Gibraltar falls. Tom is the rock upon which this program is founded, and no pipsqueak third-year head coach is going to run him out of town.

Nor, coincidentally, does Bo want to see Tom leave. He has unlimited access to the most successful coach of the last quarter century. Why would he want that wisdom to take a hike?

Tom will step down when Gibraltar falls. Tom is the rock upon which this program is founded, and no pipsqueak third-year head coach is going to run him out of town.

Nor, coincidentally, does Bo want to see Tom leave. He has unlimited access to the most successful coach of the last quarter century. Why would he want that wisdom to take a hike?

Bo might want "that wisdom to take a hike" because Bo is Bo, and Bo no like someone else running his program. At the same time, I can't think of any real hard evidence (aside from Watson) that TO is doing anything to get in Bo's way of running the football team.

I'd say w/ the timing, Tom will probably be gone in 2-3 years. Can Bo make it that long? It seams like every year there are a few premier programs with openings. Who knows who it will be next year. After our 9-4 season Bo might not be all that sought after anyway.

Assuming he has a great season or two, if Bo leaves it will be for some spectacular job - a Texas, LSU, Alabama, Florida type program. One where recruiting is easy and doesn't take nearly as much family time, money is thrown at him, etc. Ohio State is thrown around on this board a lot - but I've been hearing more talk about Meyer eventually taking that job in 3-4 years if Tressel steps down. He's an Ohio native, playing DB for Cincinnati and doing his grad assistant time at tOSU. He's even previously stated he'd be interested in the job.

Personally, I think there are definately some conflicting opinions between Bo and others about how the program should be run. How bad they are we'll never know. Probably not that bad overall.

IMO, Bo stays here mainly because he's not going to be that badly wanted anywhere else. We worship Bo - but in the grand scheme of things he hasn't done anything special (yet). He reversed a really bad defense into a dominant force...but you're judged on wins and losses and ultimately he took over a program that had won at least 9 games a season for about 40 years in a row, and has continued to win 9 games. He just brought back the standard, nothing more. Sure the program was kind of in the dump - but when you look at the schedule Bo has played the last 3 years...would you have expected much less? 3 easy NC games, ISU, KST, KU, 1 south team. There's almost 7 guarenteed wins each year. He only needs to go 2-5 the rest of the way to get his 9 wins. Not rocket science. :)

Until he has a champship (BIG10 and/or MNC) - he's ours. And I don't see one coming in the next couple of years.

I'd say w/ the timing, Tom will probably be gone in 2-3 years. Can Bo make it that long? It seams like every year there are a few premier programs with openings. Who knows who it will be next year. After our 9-4 season Bo might not be all that sought after anyway.

Assuming he has a great season or two, if Bo leaves it will be for some spectacular job - a Texas, LSU, Alabama, Florida type program. One where recruiting is easy and doesn't take nearly as much family time, money is thrown at him, etc. Ohio State is thrown around on this board a lot - but I've been hearing more talk about Meyer eventually taking that job in 3-4 years if Tressel steps down. He's an Ohio native, playing DB for Cincinnati and doing his grad assistant time at tOSU. He's even previously stated he'd be interested in the job.

Personally, I think there are definately some conflicting opinions between Bo and others about how the program should be run. How bad they are we'll never know. Probably not that bad overall.

IMO, Bo stays here mainly because he's not going to be that badly wanted anywhere else. We worship Bo - but in the grand scheme of things he hasn't done anything special (yet). He reversed a really bad defense into a dominant force...but you're judged on wins and losses and ultimately he took over a program that had won at least 9 games a season for about 40 years in a row, and has continued to win 9 games. He just brought back the standard, nothing more. Sure the program was kind of in the dump - but when you look at the schedule Bo has played the last 3 years...would you have expected much less? 3 easy NC games, ISU, KST, KU, 1 south team. There's almost 7 guarenteed wins each year. He only needs to go 2-5 the rest of the way to get his 9 wins. Not rocket science. :)

Until he has a champship (BIG10 and/or MNC) - he's ours. And I don't see one coming in the next couple of years.

I don't worship Bo. He crazy!

I never said he was making the QB decisions. Yes Bo has fixed the defense problem but the offense has been all 3 years he has been here take away Ganz era. Yes we were close the past 2 years in the Big 12 championships but each time the defense carries and the offense doesnt show.

Perhaps TO indirectly makes the QB decisions, if he's the lone ranger who's keeping Watson on the coaching staff. Food for thought...

I never said he was making the QB decisions. Yes Bo has fixed the defense problem but the offense has been all 3 years he has been here take away Ganz era. Yes we were close the past 2 years in the Big 12 championships but each time the defense carries and the offense doesnt show.

Hey. . keeping Wats was smart at the time and a good recommendation. Where the hell would have we started focusing? We had to recruit for defense to balance us out. Imagine trying to retool an offense 100% with none of the right personnel groupings and build a defense that was already a a bunch of left overs. It would be very very hard to do in the B12. Look at KU this year. Hell. . .look at Michigan 3 years ago. If Rich Rod would have had the defense stay in tack he would have not gone 3-7 or what ever the hell it was. Yes, To made the suggestion to keep Wats and Gilmore but if TO was running things I know of at least 2 hires that TO did not care for that Bo made. One of which is a "Nebraska" guy.

Perhaps TO indirectly makes the QB decisions, if he's the lone ranger who's keeping Watson on the coaching staff. Food for thought...

TO isn't keeping him there.

Bo might want "that wisdom to take a hike" because Bo is Bo, and Bo no like someone else running his program. At the same time, I can't think of any real hard evidence (aside from Watson) that TO is doing anything to get in Bo's way of running the football team.

So... what are you saying? :D

If Tom has as much influence on Bo as you seem to think, OP, then I think this program is in far worse trouble than it ever was. For example, if Tom is pressuring Bo to keep Watson because he hung onto some of his coordinators and assistants for years, then something is wrong. Bo is the head coach and needs to make his own decisions. It's his team.

T.O. offers advice when needed, but his personality does not dictate that he influences and runs the program. He has a seriously vested interest in it without question, but I'm almost certain that Bo just has a similar mindset to what T.O. has. He likes things to be a process and he might still have faith in Watson. I hope he doesn't, but who knows what goes on in Bo's head.