Memorial Stadium

marble

There's truth to the idea that you have to pay for the best. But there's also truth to the fact that a LOT of families can't afford a $55 ticket (or two) to take Jr. to his first game.

Everyone likes to complain now about how dead our crowd is... well, we've priced tickets out of the range of the kind of people who would go to a game and scream for four quarters. Tickets can most readily be afforded by the Sit Down Blue Hairs.

Yep.

SEC fans sneak in Jim Beam.......NU fans sneak in Geritol. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Anybody thought about demolishing the east side balcony and then adding seats that are directly integrated with the main east side seating. You could then also tie them directly into north and south endzone seats. This would create more of a bowl shape and everything would be connected. You could then put your sky boxes on top on the east side. Might be more expensive but I think it would make it look way better. Take a look at a picture if you can't figure out what I mean.

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that the East Stadium facade is on the historical landmark list, which means it couldn't be demolished. That said...I like the idea you proposed.

Anybody thought about demolishing the east side balcony and then adding seats that are directly integrated with the main east side seating. You could then also tie them directly into north and south endzone seats. This would create more of a bowl shape and everything would be connected. You could then put your sky boxes on top on the east side. Might be more expensive but I think it would make it look way better. Take a look at a picture if you can't figure out what I mean.

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that the East Stadium facade is on the historical landmark list, which means it couldn't be demolished. That said...I like the idea you proposed.

Yeah I thought about that. However, the north stadium was just as historical and they tore that down. Also, if they build the skyboxes/new facade on the outside of East Stadium (like they did on the west) then it is gonna be covered up anyways and no one will ever see it again. Might as well tear it down and make the stadium awesome.

Yeah I thought about that. However, the north stadium was just as historical and they tore that down. Also, if they build the skyboxes/new facade on the outside of East Stadium (like they did on the west) then it is gonna be covered up anyways and no one will ever see it again. Might as well tear it down and make the stadium awesome.

That may be true on the north side, but if a building has been put into the historical area, one part of the building must still stand. Even if it is only 1 wall out of 4.

I get what you're saying but at the same time I love entering the West stadium and seeing the old facade underneath the new addition. I feel like I'm traveling back in time. It might not be ideal but I do like it.

That may be true on the north side, but if a building has been put into the historical area, one part of the building must still stand. Even if it is only 1 wall out of 4.

This is not true. If a building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places it can still be torn down. Proper documentation of it must be made, including architectural drawings/analyses, photo documentation should be taken where possible, and other such preservation efforts must be made. Consideration must be taken of the "impact" of demolishing the historic property, and it's possible that if Federal funds are being used by the entity who demolishes the structure, that entity may lose federal funding - or at least, have their funding put under a greater microscope. However there is nothing that stops a property owner from demolishing their property, even if it's listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

This is a key point in the battle over the Industrial Arts building on the former Nebraska State Fair campus, which will soon become UNL's new Innovation Campus. Preservationists have mounted a campaign to "save" the IAB (their site is HERE), and although the Save the IAB people have succeeded in having the building placed on the National Register of Historic Places, the ball will swing and it will be removed.