2011 D1 Recruits By State

I always find it amazing that New York state, the 3rd most populous state, ranks down around 20th in number of commits. I guess they don't play football in NYC.

Me too. An emphasis thing, I guess. That explains the disproportionately high D1 players (relative to state population) for the states in the south --- sure Georgia is fairly populated but to be generating so many recruits... same for NC, SC, and Mississippi... Alabama too. The south owns football it would seem.

The mountain west? Not so much so.

I always find it amazing that New York state, the 3rd most populous state, ranks down around 20th in number of commits. I guess they don't play football in NYC.

Me too. An emphasis thing, I guess. That explains the disproportionately high D1 players (relative to state population) for the states in the south --- sure Georgia is fairly populated but to be generating so many recruits... same for NC, SC, and Mississippi... Alabama too. The south owns football it would seem.

The mountain west? Not so much so.

i think "demographics" have a lot more to do with the number of studs coming out of the south compared to other areas. (or to put it less delicately, there are more black people in the south than in other areas, and african americans tend to have more fast twitch muscle on average.) it is odd though how the big metro areas of the northeast tend to not produce as much football talent as you would expect. i've always guessed this was due to the popularity of basketball in urban areas.

Max Prep's Twitter:

158 out of the 372 Texas D1 commits stayed in the Lone Star State. 42%

LINK

About the same as us. 4/9 stayed in Nebraska = 44.4%. (Note: MaxPreps revised their numbers slightly since your first post. Nebr now has 9 D1 recruits.)

• 3 months later...

*bump*

Here's a pretty good article from scout.com on this same topic. It has stats for D1 signees cut three different ways. D1 by state. BCS by state. And D1 normalized for population.

LINK