Frost/Warinner

So if you are telling me we looked at the former NU QB who is a hot but inexperienced prospect, the Notre Dame OL coach, Houston's latest OC, and maybe the guy at the local JUCO, but in the end decided on,"hey, let's just give Beck a shot!"...yes, I will be completely underwhelmed. This is Nebraska and we better start to get it together...unless everyone is happy with 2nd tier bowl games and no championships. I am willing to be patient, but yes this better be a damn good hire.

chamrocck, I think the order is wrong there. The sense I am getting now that I missed in the midst of all the hoopla, is that Beck was already in place, and it was these other guys that we were going after for position coaches and nothing more. Beck's shot was always there and he was going to get it, we are by no means settling.

I don't know why some people think Beck is a run-first guy though. He is familiar with Bo and in this system for the past three years, but at Kansas he ran a pretty balanced offense.

Fun fact about our "pass happy" 2008 offense under Watson.

Run 486

Pass 468

Now it's dangerous to take these numbers too literally, but generally a sling-it-around, disrespecting-the-run kind of guy tends to put out a product that has a passing % that isn't less than 50.

So while Bo's vision, with a different passing system in place of the WCO principles, could well work, it is still debatable if this stuff is Beck's strongsuits and if we wouldn't be better off with a more balanced attack. Although I think it's also fair to ask if a more balanced attack IS Bo's vision, just not realized this past year for whatever reason (Our % pass plays was just over 30% this past year).

I am braced to be completely underwhelmed by this coaching change. Pity.

:yeah

This does not appear to be going well. We need a big splash on the offensive side of the ball. We miss on this opportunity and prepare for 3-4 years of more mediocrity. Anyone from the NFL that could be a good candidate?

So you'd rather we make a big "splash" for the PR? Who's to say Beck isn't the best guy out there? He's got as much potential and more experience than Frost.

First, I was never all in on Frost as the OC. I would love him back at NU in some capacity but sounds as if he wanted OC or bust...I am fine with that if we couldn't come to agreement. Second, yes we need a big splash and to land a significant hire. Beck has been on this staff which hasn't exactly done much on the offensive side of the ball. So if you are telling me we looked at the former NU QB who is a hot but inexperienced prospect, the Notre Dame OL coach, Houston's latest OC, and maybe the guy at the local JUCO, but in the end decided on,"hey, let's just give Beck a shot!"...yes, I will be completely underwhelmed. This is Nebraska and we better start to get it together...unless everyone is happy with 2nd tier bowl games and no championships. I am willing to be patient, but yes this better be a damn good hire.

No offense but hiring someone to make a splash is stupid.

Our offense will improve with Beck. The blocking schemes in the WCO are different than what will be taught in the spread offense that beck will run. Plus the passing game should improve since we'll move away from "timing routes" in the WCO to ones based spot throws and seam routes. Its going to allow the QB to move around rather than be a sitting duck when making reads and he won't have 4 reads to make before he throws the ball. Plus now maybe he and the QB coach might see eye to eye and he won't be instructed to take the sack. Lord knows that would have helped in itself last year.

God I hope you are right about these things with Beck. I would greatly appreciate seeing that style of offense. I hope he can get everything put into place and done right. Our O-line blocking schemes MUST change!