Frost/Warinner

Well...obviously everyone knows Frost said no. He thought coming here as a run game coordinator was a lateral move and saw staying a receivers coach as pretty equal. That's too bad because the reason we even gave him the opportunity to come back is because we felt he might understand how things are done at NU. Apparently . . he doesn't understand it as much as we thought.

Sounds like 3 of 4 coaches are now hired. Lots of rumors flying but I at this point most people are guessing. I have someone who does know but he won't give it up at this point. He just said its not who people think and left it at that.

Question, when you say "3 out 4" coaches have been hired, do you count Beck's promotion in that count? If so, will Bo only hire 1 offensive coach to replace Wats and Gilmore and just go with 1 coach less? If not, who is the third coach?

Els and Raymond are the defense. 1 new offensive coach has been hired and 1 more spot on offense to fill. Beck was just promoted and not counted in the new hires.

Thank you, that answers the numbers question. Care to give a hint as to who was hired? First I had heard this.

Frost doesn't strike me as the type that would be nothing more than a yes man for Bo. After watching Bo pull rank last year when Cody started a couple of games and before the season this year when Martinez shot up from third to first, it's understandable why Frost wouldn't want to be a part of this. Bo knows defense. It remains to be seen how much he knows offense.

I guess I think Frost was kind of short sighted in this and not just because this is Nebraska. (For the record I've always thought he was a douche bag but still wouldn't have minded him on staff.) His basic premise for staying was that Chip Kelly can teach me more about the offense and running a program than Bo can at NU. Well. . bull sh#t. First Chip developed his offense sitting in TO's office and picking that guy's and his staff's brain. Sure he took it further, but you cant tell me that TO doesn't understand whats happening and couldn't help Frost understand the same types of offensive schemes. Plus and most importantly he'd have what is arguably the best defensive guru in college football in the past 25 years or more. I don't think you could get a better education than you could here. Plus. . CK isn't really running his program. . Nike is. Now. . if Kelly was running say a pro style offense that Frost felt was the way to go. . I couldn't fault him...but he's basically deciding between which state quarter he wants to collect between CK and TO. Both spend the same but have a slightly different picture on the front.

Well...obviously everyone knows Frost said no. He thought coming here as a run game coordinator was a lateral move and saw staying a receivers coach as pretty equal. That's too bad because the reason we even gave him the opportunity to come back is because we felt he might understand how things are done at NU. Apparently . . he doesn't understand it as much as we thought.

Sounds like 3 of 4 coaches are now hired. Lots of rumors flying but I at this point most people are guessing. I have someone who does know but he won't give it up at this point. He just said its not who people think and left it at that.

Question, when you say "3 out 4" coaches have been hired, do you count Beck's promotion in that count? If so, will Bo only hire 1 offensive coach to replace Wats and Gilmore and just go with 1 coach less? If not, who is the third coach?

Els and Raymond are the defense. 1 new offensive coach has been hired and 1 more spot on offense to fill. Beck was just promoted and not counted in the new hires.

Thank you, that answers the numbers question. Care to give a hint as to who was hired? First I had heard this.

I have no clue at this point. I thought I might have some ideas and then the guy says its not who you might think it is. I guess I would need to know exactly what position was filled to even have a guess. If someone gives it up. . I will.

I have no clue at this point. I thought I might have some ideas and then the guy says its not who you might think it is. I guess I would need to know exactly what position was filled to even have a guess. If someone gives it up. . I will.

Hmmm two unknowns on O. Interesting.

Not saying this will be the two people hired, but I remember last year after the Big 12 title game loss to Texas, two people from HI close to the situation mentioned that Beck would be promoted to OC if Watson and Gilmore were let go and the following two names came up as position coach replacements: PJ Fecko and Jeff Sims.

Not sure if Fecko & Sims are still on the staff's radar a year later, but this was the rumor back in December 2009.

Not saying this will be the two people hired, but I remember last year after the Big 12 title game loss to Texas, two people from HI close to the situation mentioned that Beck would be promoted to OC if Watson and Gilmore were let go and the following two names came up as position coach replacements: PJ Fecko and Jeff Sims.

Not sure if Fecko & Sims are still on the staff's radar a year later, but this was the rumor back in December 2009.

Sims I buy as I recall there was a whole lot of smoke about him last year. Hadn't heard about Fecko.

---EDIT---

After looking Fecko up, I don't think he is a target. He looks to be a defensive coach.

Re: loyalty and bleeding red. Maybe Frost remembers getting booed, a lot, in 1996. He hung in there and QB'd the team to an MNC the next year. He owes us nothing.

I'd be on the side of saying the booing probably helped. If he would not have been booed do you think he would have come back with the chip on his shoulder he did?? That chip(and a lucky kick and catch) got us the national championship that year.

Maybe, but what I'm saying is that he might not feel as compelled to return as some people think he does. It seems clear that he'd return on his terms, and not just to go back to Nebraska.

Frost doesn't strike me as the type that would be nothing more than a yes man for Bo. After watching Bo pull rank last year when Cody started a couple of games and before the season this year when Martinez shot up from third to first, it's understandable why Frost wouldn't want to be a part of this. Bo knows defense. It remains to be seen how much he knows offense.

I guess I think Frost was kind of short sighted in this and not just because this is Nebraska. (For the record I've always thought he was a douche bag but still wouldn't have minded him on staff.) His basic premise for staying was that Chip Kelly can teach me more about the offense and running a program than Bo can at NU. Well. . bull sh#t. First Chip developed his offense sitting in TO's office and picking that guy's and his staff's brain. Sure he took it further, but you cant tell me that TO doesn't understand whats happening and couldn't help Frost understand the same types of offensive schemes. Plus and most importantly he'd have what is arguably the best defensive guru in college football in the past 25 years or more. I don't think you could get a better education than you could here. Plus. . CK isn't really running his program. . Nike is. Now. . if Kelly was running say a pro style offense that Frost felt was the way to go. . I couldn't fault him...but he's basically deciding between which state quarter he wants to collect between CK and TO. Both spend the same but have a slightly different picture on the front.

Definitely think that Frost could learn as much or more from Osborne as from Kelly, but Osborne isn't gameplanning every single week like Kelly is. Plus, while Osborne is a father figure to Frost, who else on Nebraska's staff would Frost be close to personally? No one, at least not right away. He's already got strong relationships with the staff in Eugene, and he's got a good job that isn't much different than what he'd have gotten at Nebraska.

Can't say I blame either side for this not happening. Just not meant to work out right now. If Frost really does want to return to Nebraska some day, he's taking a bit of a risk by hoping there will be an opening down the line, but his reputation is only going to continue to grow while he works with Chip Kelly at Oregon. As long as he didn't overstep or tick anybody off during this process, then he could still be an option down the road.

Just too bad it didn't work out this time.

Re: loyalty and bleeding red. Maybe Frost remembers getting booed, a lot, in 1996. He hung in there and QB'd the team to an MNC the next year. He owes us nothing.

I'd be on the side of saying the booing probably helped. If he would not have been booed do you think he would have come back with the chip on his shoulder he did?? That chip(and a lucky kick and catch) got us the national championship that year.

Maybe, but what I'm saying is that he might not feel as compelled to return as some people think he does. It seems clear that he'd return on his terms, and not just to go back to Nebraska.

I think it's true that players like Frost don't forget about that kind of thing. I'm sure Frost remembers that, and while I think he probably understands it and why it happened, he probably has a better perspective on Nebraska's fan base as a result of that. At least a better perspective than the people who walk around saying, "We're the best fans and greatest people in the universe, why wouldn't someone love us?"

That is pretty much what I've heard too. Nobody knows who the one who is hired is or who they are looking at. If anyone says that they do, then they are full of sh#t.

And Sipple was correct, it seems like we have struck out on Warriner, Frost and everyone else we have talked too.

That is pretty much what I've heard too. Nobody knows who the one who is hired is or who they are looking at. If anyone says that they do, then they are full of sh#t.

And Sipple was correct, it seems like we have struck out on Warriner, Frost and everyone else we have talked too.

The other day you were certain with Warinner. What happened with that? Have you heard?