Frost/Warinner

Not to throw more rumor fodder out there, but I'm hearing rumblings that Brown's office has been cleared out. Has anyone heard anything like this from someone around the AD?

I know there has been mentions on here about Brown retiring, though that thread quickly devolved into an immature argument about religion. Not looking for that to be revived here.

No clue, but the timing would be strange if true considering Brown is the Special Guest at a Nebraska Alumni event in March.

Northeast Kansans 4 Nebraska

I saw that and had the same thought initially, though I imagine he would still be a guest speaker draw throughout the state for the rest of his life - both because of his strong history with the program and his ability to captivate and motive a crowd with his talks. Dude makes me want to go tackle somebody whenever I hear him speak. So I don't think that scheduled event necessarily means he's staying on staff, though I hope it does.

I'm inclined to agree with bournehusker here. Perhaps due to the rumored re-shuffling of the staff, maybe he's moved into a new office? It wouldn't surprise me if Brown is taking over the Recruiting Coordinator duties, therefore moving into Gilmore's old office? :dunno

I have no clue on this but is Gilmore's office near the Compliance office? Pretty sure RC's have to keep in touch regularly with compliance staff, no?

I hope you're right. Just throwing this out there, but would there be need to change offices if you are a recruiting coordinator? Maybe so, but I just can't think of why that added duty would necessitate a different office (assuming his office really is cleared out, which is just a rumor at this point). Anyhow, I hope he's still on the staff.

Ron Brown is my neighbor, and he shows no signs of slowing down that I can see. He looked good and healthy at Prairie Life last night...

Dr. Tom/Bo will offer Frost the following:

Title:Co-offensive Coordinator

Duties: Quater Back Coach/Running Game Coordinator

Salary: $300,000.00-$350,000.00

Future bright for major promotion

Done Deal???

One would think!!!

Saw this on another board thought I'd share.

Man if this turns out to be right, I called that way back whens.

Someone asked about Beck as OC. Beck obviously came from a good football background but really kind of made his mark in the Texas High School ranks. Remember these programs are like small colleges. And he was the TO of high school coaches in his few years there. All the coaches called him, copied his offenses etc. That's part of the reason hes so connected there. His offenses operated on simple ideas but could put up big numbers either way. Think of simplicity like Mike Leach's offense. It was always said Leach had 10 plays in his play book that was it, but you never knew what was coming.

Beck was recruited to KU for those reasons and it was thought he'd go from there to OC at KU as soon as the OC there. He's was 4-5 years ago where Frost is now.

Is that why Leach always called plays from a cocktail napkin?

Done Deal???

One would think!!!

If that's what we're offering Frost would be nuts to turn it down. That's a big step up from WR coach and will help spring board his career a lot faster.

Done Deal???

One would think!!!

If that's what we're offering Frost would be nuts to turn it down. That's a big step up from WR coach and will help spring board his career a lot faster.

That's a pretty damn good offer... Of course, Oregon could easily counter with a similar promotion, and then advantage: Ducks. I think UO could easily offer more money than that, even without the promotion.

The best thing Nebraska can pitch is a clear path to offensive coordinator and head coach after that.

Done Deal???

One would think!!!

That's a pretty damn good offer... Of course, Oregon could easily counter with a similar promotion, and then advantage: Ducks. I think UO could easily offer more money than that, even without the promotion.

The best thing Nebraska can pitch is a clear path to offensive coordinator and head coach after that.

Why would Bo tell him he can be head coach when he leaves? This is Bo's job until he doesn't want it anymore and who knows Bo even wants to leave Nebraska, eventually? He might want to be here til he retires, who knows?

Done Deal???

One would think!!!

Assuming this offer is true, I can't help but think that T.O. hasn't already had private talks with Frost about the long-term potential of this offer short of it being a head coach-in-waiting title. My guess is T.O. would like Frost to be the next HC at NU whenever Bo leaves. By the time that happens, T.O. will likely have retired as A.D. Therefore Frost's experience up to that point will benefit him for assuming the HC role when it becomes available.

This is a nice chunk of change to start with not including whatever bonuses for winning conference titles and BCS bowl game appearances. Watson left NU making $380,000 as an OC. Frost could basically step right in and make almost as much and isn't even considered a full-on OC.

Done Deal???

One would think!!!

Assuming this offer is true, I can't help but think that T.O. hasn't already had private talks with Frost about the long-term potential of this offer short of it being a head coach-in-waiting title. My guess is T.O. would like Frost to be the next HC at NU whenever Bo leaves. By the time that happens, T.O. will likely have retired as A.D. Therefore Frost's experience up to that point will benefit him for assuming the HC role when it becomes available.

This is a nice chunk of change to start with not including whatever bonuses for winning conference titles and BCS bowl game appearances. Watson left NU making $380,000 as an OC. Frost could basically step right in and make almost as much and isn't even considered a full-on OC.

I'm not saying the money is bad. I'm saying that we're going to have to compete with Oregon for Frost. This past year, he made over $250,000 and he was the lowest paid assistant on the staff. UO has made it publicly clear that they will negotiate hard to keep Frost, and whether that's because they really want to keep him or because they like him enough to get him the best deal possible at Nebraska, I'm guessing Osborne isn't going to be a huge fan of the number they finally settle on.

Maybe the 350 K will be enough, I don't know. Just remember that money probably won't be an issue for Oregon, even if it means giving their entire coaching staff raises (which they were probably going to do anyways after having the best season in school history).

Done Deal???

One would think!!!

Why would Bo tell him he can be head coach when he leaves? This is Bo's job until he doesn't want it anymore and who knows Bo even wants to leave Nebraska, eventually? He might want to be here til he retires, who knows?

Bo wouldn't. TO might. I don't think there's much doubt about the idea that if Frost comes back to Nebraska and is successful, he would put himself in a very good position to be head coach someday, whether it's after Bo retires or leaves for someplace else.

Done Deal???

One would think!!!

I'm not saying the money is bad. I'm saying that we're going to have to compete with Oregon for Frost. This past year, he made over $250,000 and he was the lowest paid assistant on the staff. UO has made it publicly clear that they will negotiate hard to keep Frost, and whether that's because they really want to keep him or because they like him enough to get him the best deal possible at Nebraska, I'm guessing Osborne isn't going to be a huge fan of the number they finally settle on.

Maybe the 350 K will be enough, I don't know. Just remember that money probably won't be an issue for Oregon, even if it means giving their entire coaching staff raises (which they were probably going to do anyways after having the best season in school history).

I hear where you're coming from but I wasn't even debating $$ and counter-offers in my assumption piece. I was looking at it from a long-term perspective as it pertains to his future goals. The hint from his dad saying he'd like to come back to Lincoln and coach is proof enough to assume his ultimate goal is to one day become the HC at NU. So with this supposed offer, I've surmised that T.O. discussed the long-term potential of this offer short of it being a head coach-in-waiting at NU, money aside. If Frost wants to be HC at NU in the future, this offer basically sets him up for that, effective immediately.

Of course he can shun the NU offer now and stick with Chip Kelly or wait until another coordinator or HC position opens up in the near future while keeping an eye open for the NU HC job in the future whenever it becomes available. He's got options, so it's not like he's screwed if he decides not to accept the NU offer today.

Not to throw more rumor fodder out there, but I'm hearing rumblings that Brown's office has been cleared out. Has anyone heard anything like this from someone around the AD?

I know there has been mentions on here about Brown retiring, though that thread quickly devolved into an immature argument about religion. Not looking for that to be revived here.

No clue, but the timing would be strange if true considering Brown is the Special Guest at a Nebraska Alumni event in March.

Northeast Kansans 4 Nebraska

I saw that and had the same thought initially, though I imagine he would still be a guest speaker draw throughout the state for the rest of his life - both because of his strong history with the program and his ability to captivate and motive a crowd with his talks. Dude makes me want to go tackle somebody whenever I hear him speak. So I don't think that scheduled event necessarily means he's staying on staff, though I hope it does.

I'm inclined to agree with bournehusker here. Perhaps due to the rumored re-shuffling of the staff, maybe he's moved into a new office? It wouldn't surprise me if Brown is taking over the Recruiting Coordinator duties, therefore moving into Gilmore's old office? :dunno

I have no clue on this but is Gilmore's office near the Compliance office? Pretty sure RC's have to keep in touch regularly with compliance staff, no?

I hope you're right. Just throwing this out there, but would there be need to change offices if you are a recruiting coordinator? Maybe so, but I just can't think of why that added duty would necessitate a different office (assuming his office really is cleared out, which is just a rumor at this point). Anyhow, I hope he's still on the staff.

Ron Brown is my neighbor, and he shows no signs of slowing down that I can see. He looked good and healthy at Prairie Life last night...

i've seen your house...i used to walk a big white dog in that neighborhood(friends parents lived near there)

My suspicion - and it is growing stronger - is that Frost is a 'good guy' that we want to have on the staff, rather than a hot coaching prospect we are trying to chase to solidify the future of our offense. Remember, there are 2 offensive positions that need to be filled (or is it zero? I don't remember :LOLtartar). While it may take a nice sized carrot to get him here, I think he's viewed as a top positions coach candidate rather than the solution to our offensive woes...in that department, it seems like the "promote from within" philosophy that was predicted by many before the season was over, is likely the route we are taking.

Not totally a bad thing. I wasn't too pleased with that idea at first, but acknowledged then that I didn't like the idea of total upheaval either.