Frost/Warinner

I have seen some indications on other boards that the staff is done and they seem pretty happy about it. I saw pictures of Phillips, Frost, Warriner, Els, Raymond, and someone else on a post in an unrelated thread. Anyone care to share the latest? If that were true, I would consider that a homerun. I just find it improbable.

If they got all three, that must mean Frost settled for a position and a title. Or they gave up on Beck for OC.

I have seen some indications on other boards that the staff is done and they seem pretty happy about it. I saw pictures of Phillips, Frost, Warriner, Els, Raymond, and someone else on a post in an unrelated thread. Anyone care to share the latest? If that were true, I would consider that a homerun. I just find it improbable.

If they got all three, that must mean Frost settled for a position and a title. Or they gave up on Beck for OC.

That was my thought as well, which is why based on what everyone was indicating yesterday I have some doubts. However if even 2/3 of that is true, I think I would be happy.

Agree I think this staff maybe close to being finalized, but is not a done deal. To me its just seems impossible to land Phillips, Warinner and Frost. Phillips system doesnt even fit what Nebraska wants to do offensively. Like I said in an earlier post going to Houstons system would us behind the 8 ball as far as getting players into the system. it would be 2004 all over again. I believe we can adapt our offense to what KU did Warinner was their and similar success.

Els and Raymond are on board, we atleast know that much. 4 hires, 1 announcement.

Personally I want Frost more than any other candidate on either side of the ball. I like the upside, and when you're in the middle of a complete offensive rejuvenation, you want: young, motivated, solid recruiter, experience somewhere that counts, and if the guy's got ties to the program, doesn't hurt.

Frost is batting 3/4 in that category, and given the offense he's coming out of, I'd be more willing that usual to roll the dice with some real responsibility. Not to say I don't completely understand the hesitation to hand an OC role to a second year WRs coach, but if Oregon is the offense we want, Frost is necessary, IMO. I really hope we land him.

Agree I think this staff maybe close to being finalized, but is not a done deal. To me its just seems impossible to land Phillips, Warinner and Frost. Phillips system doesnt even fit what Nebraska wants to do offensively. Like I said in an earlier post going to Houstons system would us behind the 8 ball as far as getting players into the system. it would be 2004 all over again. I believe we can adapt our offense to what KU did Warinner was their and similar success.

Els and Raymond are on board, we atleast know that much. 4 hires, 1 announcement.

I am not sure Phillips wouldn't fit based on what I have seen from Houston the last few years. They appear to be a more pass heavy version of KU under Mangino to me. However if we get Warriner and Frost I would be happy. Frost would be a position coach in that scenario and would be able to continue to develop to being a OC. I am sure that in that scenario Beck would be a CO-OC and I would assume he would want to move on in a couple of years for his next step so Frost would be available to promote, much like what Stoops has done at OU a couple of times.

And the KU offense changed every so slightly between 2007 and 2008 to adapt to the talent that they had. That is a concept that we haven't had at NU in a very long time and it would be a sight for sore eyes if we get an offensive staff that can adjust and recruit. Just the thought of a competent offense staff with a Bo defense gets me excited to watch them kick some Big 10 ass next year!

Personally I want Frost more than any other candidate on either side of the ball. I like the upside, and when you're in the middle of a complete offensive rejuvenation, you want: young, motivated, solid recruiter, experience somewhere that counts, and if the guy's got ties to the program, doesn't hurt.

Frost is batting 3/4 in that category, and given the offense he's coming out of, I'd be more willing that usual to roll the dice with some real responsibility. Not to say I don't completely understand the hesitation to hand an OC role to a second year WRs coach, but if Oregon is the offense we want, Frost is necessary, IMO. I really hope we land him.

I'm just the opposite. I'll take him as a position coach but that's it. He has no business calling offensive plays when 99% of his coaching career has been on the defensive side and his experience as an option QB is of little use in the offense we want to run.

I understand why people want him here, he seems to be a very good recruiter which is why I wouldn't mind having him here as an position coach (he was offered to be the RB coach) and he has ties to our ass kicking run in the 1990's. But he needs more seasoning before he gets to be an OC at a major program.

And the KU offense changed every so slightly between 2007 and 2008 to adapt to the talent that they had. That is a concept that we haven't had at NU in a very long time and it would be a sight for sore eyes if we get an offensive staff that can adjust and recruit. Just the thought of a competent offense staff with a Bo defense gets me excited to watch them kick some Big 10 ass next year!

So is Warriner and Frost still what you are hearing?

I'm just the opposite. I'll take him as a position coach but that's it. He has no business calling offensive plays when 99% of his coaching career has been on the defensive side and his experience as an option QB is of little use in the offense we want to run.

I understand why people want him here, he seems to be a very good recruiter which is why I wouldn't mind having him here as an position coach (he was offered to be the RB coach) and he has ties to our ass kicking run in the 1990's. But he needs more seasoning before he gets to be an OC at a major program.

Which is why in a perfect world he either takes a pay raise, a co-OC title with the possibility of promotion in a couple years, or both. I hope to hell Bo figures out something that will reel him in. When I say necessary, I mean I think he needs to be on staff in SOME capacity. Full blown OC is probably too rich at this point, and by the sound of it a lot more than we're willing to offer.

I haven't heard anything new since the Beck/Warriner co OC's and Frost will only come if Bo gives in and makes him at least a Co OC, which Bo doesn't want. Frost was offered the RB coach job, take it or leave it. With Warriner being the main OL coach with Barney mainly recruiting the OL and Beck coaching the QB's. I would assume under this scenario that Brown would be the WR coach?

If I hear anything else, I'll post it. As we know nothing is for sure until the contracts are signed.

I haven't heard anything new since the Beck/Warriner co OC's and Frost will only come if Bo gives in and makes him at least a Co OC, which Bo doesn't want. Frost was offered the RB coach job, take it or leave it. With Warriner being the main OL coach with Barney mainly recruiting the OL and Beck coaching the QB's.

If I hear anything else, I'll post it. As we know nothing is for sure until the contracts are signed.

Okay, I'm not denying your source, but from what I heard we offered and then counter offered. It seems criminally insane to me to offer Frost a lateral move to a different position without any added titles or responsibilities. Why the hell would you leave Oregon for Nebraska given what our offense has been like the past two years? And not even co-OC when there are going to be two co-OCs? Wouldn't that put you third in line, assuming you could even call yourself in line that that point?

Oofta. I hope you're so wrong it hurts when the announcement comes, no offense.

I haven't heard anything new since the Beck/Warriner co OC's and Frost will only come if Bo gives in and makes him at least a Co OC, which Bo doesn't want. Frost was offered the RB coach job, take it or leave it. With Warriner being the main OL coach with Barney mainly recruiting the OL and Beck coaching the QB's.

Okay, I'm not denying your source, but from what I heard we offered and then counter offered. It seems criminally insane to me to offer Frost a lateral move to a different position without any added titles or responsibilities. Why the hell would you leave Oregon for Nebraska given what our offense has been like the past two years? And not even co-OC when there are going to be two co-OCs? Wouldn't that put you third in line, assuming you could even call yourself in line that that point?

Non taken. I just want it overwith one way or the other. That's why I hope my source was right about the announcement coming this Friday. And if he's wrong, then he will just owe me some beer and tickets to a game next year. I win either way. :corndance

I haven't heard anything new since the Beck/Warriner co OC's and Frost will only come if Bo gives in and makes him at least a Co OC, which Bo doesn't want. Frost was offered the RB coach job, take it or leave it. With Warriner being the main OL coach with Barney mainly recruiting the OL and Beck coaching the QB's. I would assume under this scenario that Brown would be the WR coach?

Thanks, just seems like some more smoke is flying. I hope Frost is a part of the solution somehow, though I have reservations about giving him Play calling duties. Bo's first stint at calling plays was 2003 at NU after 9 years in the pros as a position coach and some intern experience at the college level. Beck has been a position coach in college for quite a few years, moving up the ladder consistently. Per Sipple's article today, Beck did call plays for 1 season at a Div 1AA school and did well. I am guessing, without studying his resume in detail, that he moved on for a better job after that, which is why he only did that for 1 year. He was also basically a CO-OC at KU as the Passing Game coordinator. He knows how to develop a game plan and at least has some experience calling plays, not to mention many years as a position coach in which he learned from many OC's. I would feel OK if he got play calling duties, it is the logical next step for him and I think he is ready. I would love to have Warriner as well, he is a well respected OL coach, and I think everyone agrees we could use some help in this area, and also has OC experience. He has worked with Beck before as well, I think a OC tandem of those 2 would be a good fit for NU. I would LOVE to have Frost come in as a position Coach. As I mentioned in a previous post, that would allow him to continue to develop as an Offensive Asst. and when the inevitable time comes when Beck and/or Warriner move on, Frost would be the logical replacement. Very similar to what Stoops did at OU. Obviously having Frost on the staff would allow the staff to implement more of Oregon's offense if they so choose.

Thanks, just seems like some more smoke is flying. I hope Frost is a part of the solution somehow, though I have reservations about giving him Play calling duties. Bo's first stint at calling plays was 2003 at NU after 9 years in the pros as a position coach and some intern experience at the college level. Beck has been a position coach in college for quite a few years, moving up the ladder consistently. Per Sipple's article today, Beck did call plays for 1 season at a Div 1AA school and did well. I am guessing, without studying his resume in detail, that he moved on for a better job after that, which is why he only did that for 1 year. He was also basically a CO-OC at KU as the Passing Game coordinator. He knows how to develop a game plan and at least has some experience calling plays, not to mention many years as a position coach in which he learned from many OC's. I would feel OK if he got play calling duties, it is the logical next step for him and I think he is ready. I would love to have Warriner as well, he is a well respected OL coach, and I think everyone agrees we could use some help in this area, and also has OC experience. He has worked with Beck before as well, I think a OC tandem of those 2 would be a good fit for NU. I would LOVE to have Frost come in as a position Coach. As I mentioned in a previous post, that would allow him to continue to develop as an Offensive Asst. and when the inevitable time comes when Beck and/or Warriner move on, Frost would be the logical replacement. Very similar to what Stoops did at OU. Obviously having Frost on the staff would allow the staff to implement more of Oregon's offense if they so choose.

Beck is your man, Bo is loyal!

Yeah I read multiple posts on various boards indicating that we counter-offered Frost, right around the time when the news was that Frost turned us down. I think that information was based on Bo's original offer. I have seen some indications that Frost was much more interested in the second offer, but wanted to think about it. Now I am seeing very vague indications that the staff is complete. When the press "indicates" that Beck is a CO-OC, most likely with playcalling duties, then I would tend to believe that as they have to be getting it on purpose from the University. Since the press said Beck is a CO-OC, then I would believe either Frost or Warriner accepted to be the other CO-OC. Of that scenario, I would prefer Warriner with Frost coming on as a position coach, but if Beck is calling plays then I wouldn't be totally against Frost as the non-play calling OC. Not sure what to think anymore.