Frost/Warinner

Does anybody think that if we can't find an experienced OC to come in, that we offer Frost OC? Even though he doesn't have alot of experience, he can't be much worse than Watson. He will get better as he gains experience.

I don't think he comes now even if hes offered the OC spot. At least that's the vibe I've gotten this afternoon. I think we're probably on to new fish by Sunday afternoon if we can't get him by then in some capacity.

If he's actually offered the offensive coordinator position, he'd be crazy to refuse, I don't care how good his current job is.

Well that won't happen anyway. The best it ever was going to get for him was a Co-OC and someone else calling the plays. And that additional title was so he could say he was getting a better deal.

I'd love it if Frost would take that position, but in all honesty it would be a bad move for him.

Here's a question: given the state of our offense, what's the consensus on what an 'acceptable' level of experience is before you take a shot on a coordinator?

:yeah

Here's an idea. Give Beck the OC job. Forget about looking for a co-OC. Move Ron Brown to WR. Move Cotton to TE. Hire a new OL and RB coach and call it good.

Does anybody think that if we can't find an experienced OC to come in, that we offer Frost OC? Even though he doesn't have alot of experience, he can't be much worse than Watson. He will get better as he gains experience.

I don't think he comes now even if hes offered the OC spot. At least that's the vibe I've gotten this afternoon. I think we're probably on to new fish by Sunday afternoon if we can't get him by then in some capacity.

If he's actually offered the offensive coordinator position, he'd be crazy to refuse, I don't care how good his current job is.

Well that won't happen anyway. The best it ever was going to get for him was a Co-OC and someone else calling the plays. And that additional title was so he could say he was getting a better deal.

The good news is that is sounds like the defensive coaches all pa

You seem to be in the know, whose the netx OC?

If I had to put money on it. At this point I'd put it on Beck. Or at least he will be calling the plays unless some new highly experienced OC crops up. I suppose that could change, but its the most likely now.

That strikes me as the reason we coined the phrase "Worst case scenario." It's pretty clear we need a drastic overhaul. Bringing in an outside party would be like a breath of fresh air. Don't blow this one, Bo.

Here's a question: given the state of our offense, what's the consensus on what an 'acceptable' level of experience is before you take a shot on a coordinator?

:yeah

Here's an idea. Give Beck the OC job. Forget about looking for a co-OC. Move Ron Brown to WR. Move Cotton to TE. Hire a new OL and RB coach and call it good.

I like beck, but with the lack of offensive success, a fresh start on O might be needed....

I'd love it if Frost would take that position, but in all honesty it would be a bad move for him.

Thats the best offer he's going to get for at least the next 2-3 years. I think he was trying to play hard to get some more. He was offered basically RB's, he countered with OC calling the plays and WR or QB's and he got WR and the possibility of OC not calling the plays. I'm told he said no. That sounds like the final offer and he can think about it but not for long. Sounds like of like buying a house...doesn't it?

If I had to put money on it. At this point I'd put it on Beck. Or at least he will be calling the plays unless some new highly experienced OC crops up. I suppose that could change, but its the most likely now.

That strikes me as the reason we coined the phrase "Worst case scenario." It's pretty clear we need a drastic overhaul. Bringing in an outside party would be like a breath of fresh air. Don't blow this one, Bo.

Also why it'd be a risk for Frost to come as co-oc. Bo promotes somebody from the inside of an offense that has struggled mightily the last two years, and Frost has to make a decision about which offense he wants to attach his name to since he has no real coordinator responsibilities in either one. If you were Frost, which offense would you put your name with: Tim Beck's or Chip Kelly's?

Dont under estimate Beck.

Dont under estimate Beck.

I'm sorry, but I was here all the way through the Callahan/Cosgrove years. We are as bad on offense now as we were on defense then. To tell me that the best solution this HC/AD could come up with was to promote the RBs coach is to tell me that we're cashing in the minute we set foot in Vegas. It's time to dream big. If that means taking a chance, so be it.

Our defense was awful in 2007. Watson's offense was right on the heels of his that year. Kansas - #8. Nebraska - #9.

Source

Good point, but KU was putting up points on everyone that year.... In the end it comes down to the players, and you never know how much sucess is based on talent and how much is coaching....

That year KU only played 1 team with a winning record during the regular season and lost to that Missou team. chuckleshuffle To judge anyone by what they did to Cosgroves defense is not going to give you a very clear picture.

This is starting to feel a lot like Pedersons search for a new HC a few years back. Everyone turned him down, so he had to go with Callahan. Everyone is turning Bo down and he has to go with Beck. And da skers, you said don't underestimate Beck. What makes Beck a better OC than Watson? And that is a serious question, bc I don't know.

Not to get us off topic on this thread, but with all of the speculation about potential OCs, has anyone heard any names of possible for the WR position? Kind of surprising how that hasn't really been discussed much, especially with the expectation that Bo will unveil all of the new hires at once sometime next week.

Just remember Nebraska already has two other coaches on this staff (Brown,Beck) that have experience coaching wr and probably more qualified then the one that currently holds the position. They might be shuffling coaches around, but im only guessing. chuckleshuffle