Frost/Warinner

Just a thought today. Beck wants to run first. Cotton wants to knock guys off the ball. Hasn't it been thought that Cotton and Watson conflicted on Oline schemes before? It seems to me that Cotton and Beck's desire to power run similarly would go better than Watson and Cotton?

We've got good backs, and we've got talented linemen. If we can get our offensive at least in some sort of accord, it would HAVE to be better than the last two years. Our best games were the ones where we lined up and told the guys across from us us that we were going to punch them in the mouth, and proceeded to do so.

I am braced to be completely underwhelmed by this coaching change. Pity.

:yeah

This does not appear to be going well. We need a big splash on the offensive side of the ball. We miss on this opportunity and prepare for 3-4 years of more mediocrity. Anyone from the NFL that could be a good candidate?

So you'd rather we make a big "splash" for the PR? Who's to say Beck isn't the best guy out there? He's got as much potential and more experience than Frost.

I'm all for pound the rock but I hope we get a coach in at some level that can Develop High School QB and Receiver Talent. What we need on offense is the ability to execute fast quick plays...perhaps hit up the TCU staff or Nevada (to give credit this came from another fan not my idea but a good one) Coming to Nebraska is a step up in the long run for coordinators on these teams. I hope that Beck is a quantum leap from Watts becasue identity without execution is not going to make us great.

I'm all for pound the rock but I hope we get a coach in at some level that can Develop High School QB and Receiver Talent. What we need on offense is the ability to execute fast quick plays...perhaps hit up the TCU staff or Nevada (to give credit this came from another fan not my idea but a good one) Coming to Nebraska is a step up in the long run for coordinators on these teams. I hope that Beck is a quantum leap from Watts becasue identity without execution is not going to make us great.

Sadly I think the offenses at both Nevada and TCU have more to do with the head coaches than the OCs at those respective schools. Nevada's head coach, Chris Ault, literally invented the Pistol offense. It would be like rather like a school nabbing Carl based on Nebraska's great defensive production over the years. They would get a quality assistant, but it does not mean they'd automatically get the "Nebraska defense."

Just a thought today. Beck wants to run first. Cotton wants to knock guys off the ball. Hasn't it been thought that Cotton and Watson conflicted on Oline schemes before? It seems to me that Cotton and Beck's desire to power run similarly would go better than Watson and Cotton?

We've got good backs, and we've got talented linemen. If we can get our offensive at least in some sort of accord, it would HAVE to be better than the last two years. Our best games were the ones where we lined up and told the guys across from us us that we were going to punch them in the mouth, and proceeded to do so.

Great post. I think a lot of the problem we saw with the line was a disconnect between Watson's WCO mentality and Cotton's power football/option mentality. I think having a more running minded OC would compliment Cotton much better. At least that's my hope.

My only hope in this rumored coaching re-shuffle is that Ron Brown inherits the WR position and keeps the TE position as well. He used to coach both positions simultaneously during the Osborne & Solich eras. So I'm not worried about him missing a beat with developing talent. He's a proven coach in that regard.

Ideally, I'd like to see Bo hire another OL coach to help Barney. Our pass blocking needs a lot of work and I'd like see us hire a guy who specializes in pass blocking. Leave Barney with run blocking.

My only hope in this rumored coaching re-shuffle is that Ron Brown inherits the WR position and keeps the TE position as well. He used to coach both positions simultaneously during the Osborne & Solich eras. So I'm not worried about him missing a beat with developing talent. He's a proven coach in that regard.

Ideally, I'd like to see Bo hire another OL coach to help Barney. Our pass blocking needs a lot of work and I'd like see us hire a guy who specializes in pass blocking. Leave Barney with run blocking.

I'm cool with that :thumbs

This does not appear to be going well. We need a big splash on the offensive side of the ball. We miss on this opportunity and prepare for 3-4 years of more mediocrity. Anyone from the NFL that could be a good candidate?

So you'd rather we make a big "splash" for the PR? Who's to say Beck isn't the best guy out there? He's got as much potential and more experience than Frost.

First, I was never all in on Frost as the OC. I would love him back at NU in some capacity but sounds as if he wanted OC or bust...I am fine with that if we couldn't come to agreement. Second, yes we need a big splash and to land a significant hire. Beck has been on this staff which hasn't exactly done much on the offensive side of the ball. So if you are telling me we looked at the former NU QB who is a hot but inexperienced prospect, the Notre Dame OL coach, Houston's latest OC, and maybe the guy at the local JUCO, but in the end decided on,"hey, let's just give Beck a shot!"...yes, I will be completely underwhelmed. This is Nebraska and we better start to get it together...unless everyone is happy with 2nd tier bowl games and no championships. I am willing to be patient, but yes this better be a damn good hire.

• Fire 1

Let's see. We know who Pelini is set to add on defense (Corey Raymond and Ross Els). What about those two vacancies on offense? Sounds like the leading candidate for one spot is ex-Husker center John Garrison, perhaps as co-offensive line coach. Two guys coaching the O-line? Worked pretty well for Milt and Dan.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_43305cea-1041-5d00-a56a-9ee16f15a395.html

Anyone know anything about this guy?

First, I was never all in on Frost as the OC. I would love him back at NU in some capacity but sounds as if he wanted OC or bust...I am fine with that if we couldn't come to agreement. Second, yes we need a big splash and to land a significant hire. Beck has been on this staff which hasn't exactly done much on the offensive side of the ball. So if you are telling me we looked at the former NU QB who is a hot but inexperienced prospect, the Notre Dame OL coach, Houston's latest OC, and maybe the guy at the local JUCO, but in the end decided on,"hey, let's just give Beck a shot!"...yes, I will be completely underwhelmed. This is Nebraska and we better start to get it together...unless everyone is happy with 2nd tier bowl games and no championships. I am willing to be patient, but yes this better be a damn good hire.

No offense but hiring someone to make a splash is stupid.

Our offense will improve with Beck. The blocking schemes in the WCO are different than what will be taught in the spread offense that beck will run. Plus the passing game should improve since we'll move away from "timing routes" in the WCO to ones based spot throws and seam routes. Its going to allow the QB to move around rather than be a sitting duck when making reads and he won't have 4 reads to make before he throws the ball. Plus now maybe he and the QB coach might see eye to eye and he won't be instructed to take the sack. Lord knows that would have helped in itself last year.

Let's see. We know who Pelini is set to add on defense (Corey Raymond and Ross Els). What about those two vacancies on offense? Sounds like the leading candidate for one spot is ex-Husker center John Garrison, perhaps as co-offensive line coach. Two guys coaching the O-line? Worked pretty well for Milt and Dan.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_43305cea-1041-5d00-a56a-9ee16f15a395.html

Former NU lineman.

John Garrison Player Bio