new rb coach

with only 2 years at UO, i would guess Frost would need to stay there a couple more years to get a decent promotion.....after all, what other D1 team is after him?.....none i am aware of.......i think anything more than a position coach (QB or RB) is all the guy deserves....if he was a great WR coach at any school but Oregon, he wouldn't even get a glance after only 2 years....fact! he has dues to pay first!

with only 2 years at UO, i would guess Frost would need to stay there a couple more years to get a decent promotion.....after all, what other D1 team is after him?.....none i am aware of.......i think anything more than a position coach (QB or RB) is all the guy deserves....if he was a great WR coach at any school but Oregon, he wouldn't even get a glance after only 2 years....fact! he has dues to pay first!

One article this morning said another PAC-10 + some number was inquiring into him

Where are we going to find a solid QBs coach? We have one of the better QB coaches in the nation already. But we're getting rid of him. And Ganz is a student of that QB coach. He is not going to fit into this style of offense either. In addition to not ready to be a positions coach.

I am almost serious when I say we probably don't think we need a QBs coach. The RBs coach can teach our QBs everything they need to know in this scheme. As far as the passing part, eh, they'll figure somethin' out :P

I think familiarity with the current guys will trump everything as far as QBs coaches go, and Beck will continue on in that role. He coached WRs at KU, RBs here and it's been widely speculated since he came that he was a potential future guy at OC. Don't think he is wedded to the RBs position and probably will be OC/QB going forward. So really the positions we are looking to fill: RB, WR. My guess. And the way we are going I wouldn't say WR would be a huge part of the scheme. Why do you say that, out of curiosity? I would say RBs are much more important. WRs seem to have a significantly diminished role actually, compared to most.

Where are we going to find a solid QBs coach? We have one of the better QB coaches in the nation already. But we're getting rid of him. And Ganz is a student of that QB coach. He is not going to fit into this style of offense either. In addition to not ready to be a positions coach.

I am almost serious when I say we probably don't think we need a QBs coach. The RBs coach can teach our QBs everything they need to know in this scheme. As far as the passing part, eh, they'll figure somethin' out :P

I think familiarity with the current guys will trump everything as far as QBs coaches go, and Beck will continue on in that role. He coached WRs at KU, RBs here and it's been widely speculated since he came that he was a potential future guy at OC. Don't think he is wedded to the RBs position and probably will be OC/QB going forward. So really the positions we are looking to fill: RB, WR. My guess. And the way we are going I wouldn't say WR would be a huge part of the scheme. Why do you say that, out of curiosity? I would say RBs are much more important. WRs seem to have a significantly diminished role actually, compared to most.

My friend... if we had a solid QB coach, we would not have TMart throwing off the wrong foot so often, throwing w/o using his hips, throwing with a horrid technique for follow through and never, never, ever throwing the ball away but simply eating sack after sack. If we had a solid QB coach, our QB's would move through progressions --- which they do not. No... we do not... and I repeat... we do not have a solid QB coach. Literally... from a technique standpoint, many High Schools have better QB technique in their kids than does NU.

And, as for Ganz... no! If you want a solid QB coach, then hire someone with 3-5 years of successful experience elsewhere as a QB coach... one who is certifiably good. Ganz has no experience at all. Great guy... wonderful Husker. But not qualified.

I say it's a major part of our scheme because 85% of our offensive production will come from WRs or RBs - so it makes sense to pair those two with the OCs. The OC role will be new to Beck. Why complicate it further by giving him more new responsibilies (QB coach) when he can just retain the RB job. Especially since as you mentioned running the ball will be a huge part of the overall scheme. Where's the rule that says OC should always be QB coach as well? If we have to hire a position coach, I personally would rather see a QB coach come in and work with our young guys on fundamentals, passing, decision making, etc. Ganz (or someone else) would have no issues working with the 5-6 QBs we'll have on the roster. It's not as though we'd be placing the entire offense in his hands. He doesn't need to be spectacular. I'm sure if he was 100% dedicated to the QBs, it would be 80% more than Watson has had time for in the past juggling QBs and OC. He doesn't need to turn them into the next Peyton Manning, just get them to a point where that aspect of the game isn't such a huge liability.

If Watson - "suposedly" one of the better QB coaches in the nation couldn't juggle both OC and QB, what makes you think Beck could?

As Bo mentioned when he arrived, he was looking for something like the Florida spread attack (only better). Well, assuming that's the case Leak threw for 2600+ yards in 2005, Tebow/Leak over 3300 in 2006, and Tebow almost 3300 in 2007. Why do you think we're abandoning the pass to such an extent if this is where we are going? Even Oregon has 2800+ passing yards, Alabama 3100+.

Maybe the fact that Watson IS NOT one of the better QB coaches in the nation is why we're sitting at 2000,2300 the last couple of years. spread-option != triple-option.

No, Taylor's problems with mechanics and not knowing how to be a quarterback has EVERYTHING to do with Taylor and the kind of completely raw passer/QB he was coming into this program and coming into last year. End of that story.

Many of us were shouting that to everyone who would listen at the beginning of the season. That this kid couldn't throw, couldn't read defenses, was a disaster with his footwork and such. And shouted down since supposedly it wouldn't matter. Many insisted on believing that Taylor was a splendid passer, and some still do.

Watson had no issues "juggling" two positions. It's the kind of players we have had. And we have/had quarterbacks who are much better at throwing on the roster. But they can't run as well. Lee made big strides. Green made big strides (which don't bear out in the production, but you look at him and you can see he's a different player than the raw horrible mechanics passer who arrived). Neither got much of a shot, which is fair if Taylor flat out beat them for a job. But it's unfair to point to Taylor's throwing and say we don't have a good QBs coach.

No, Taylor's problems with mechanics and not knowing how to be a quarterback has EVERYTHING to do with Taylor and the kind of completely raw passer/QB he was coming into this program and coming into last year. End of that story.

Many of us were shouting that to everyone who would listen at the beginning of the season. That this kid couldn't throw, couldn't read defenses, was a disaster with his footwork and such. And shouted down since supposedly it wouldn't matter.

And his dramatic improvement in those areas over the course of the season proved how great of a QB coach Watson is? :sarcasm

Another thing said at the beginning of the year by a LOT of folks: Taylor's issues are so fundamental and encompassing in nature, that it's the sort of thing you need an offseason to address and hope he throws himself into making a quantum leap of progression.

In a live fire season, you are consumed with gameplans each week. If you want to spend that time instead taking one guy aside and working on drilling his mechanics, you can do that...if he's taking a redshirt year, or isn't the starter or backup.

Taylor's chance is now to improve those skills.

And on Ganz, it isn't even about experience at all. He is just not the right kind of guy to coach QBs here. It isn't a knock on Joe, who I think could be a great QBs coach in an offense similar to Watson/BC's O that he grew up in. But for whatever reason, that's not what we want anymore. So bye-bye Watson, bye-bye Joey.

Some of you guys are honestly expecting sheer impossibilities. If you follow Green/Taylor's recruiting, it is hardly a secret how completely raw they were at QB. I don't care how good a coach is, he can't turn a player into something he's not overnight, and maybe not ever, which is why the word project comes up. It would be like if we moved Curenski Gilleylen to QB right now. Serious, serious wheels, but I can guarantee you he won't be much of a thrower come the Fall, and that's regardless of who is coaching him as a QB.

Another thing said at the beginning of the year by a LOT of folks: Taylor's issues are so fundamental and encompassing in nature, that it's the sort of thing you need an offseason to address and hope he throws himself into making a quantum leap of progression.

In a live fire season, you are consumed with gameplans each week. If you want to spend that time instead taking one guy aside and working on drilling his mechanics, you can do that...if he's taking a redshirt year, or isn't the starter or backup.

The folks saying this weren't from HuskerBoard. Where did you hear this? HI?

I don't remember, but I remember saying it a few times and seeing it said a few times as well. It is hardly rumor or innuendo though. It's the whole reason why players take redshirt years. Because they need that time to work on fundamental skills, that they can't when every week is dominated by game prep. In Taylor's case, the whole deal was that his other skills overrode all of that and pressing him into service as is, gave us the best chance to win.

I do think Taylor gave us the OSU game that no other QB on the team would have given us.

And I am pretty big on the Packers :)

Just trying to clear up some complete misconceptions, IMO, about Watson as a QB coach. The only thing is that Watson's QB coaching was probably a poor fit for where we want to go with QBs, which again my opinion, speaks more poorly about where we want to go than his QB coaching abilities. In any case, folks expecting a step up in the QB coaching department are probably going to be left wanting.