I really want to beat Wisconsin now

All through high school and college I worked for sole proprietorship businesses. I was usually working right along side the owner.

It was difficult when I graduated and started working at a mega corp. I am now on my third mega corp. I don't enjoy it is as much as being along side the owner, but it has it's perks. I receive a reasonable wage and great benefits.

The whole CEO and mega corp argument for me is tiring. The last company I worked for had 65,000 employees. Everybody wants to bitch that the CEO made $3 million. Who cares.

It may be tiring to you, but it is the #1 reason why the economy is a train wreck. 90% of the money is in 1% of the hands. Since the 80s the average wage has been damn near stagnant. But the CEO pay has gone up several hundred percent. If the CEOs all made something along the lines of no more than 20 times that of the lowest paid employee(which would have an operation with min wage workers limited to about 302,000) and spread all the exec and CEO money out across the rest of the workers, we would be on the way to righting the economy. Unfortunately the exec and CEO level are so greedy that they would sooner see the entire world economy collapse than have to only own one home.

I can not dispute the rise in CEO pay versus that of everyone else. The data out there confirms what you have said and it is unfortunate. CEO's are elected by a Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is elected by shareholders. Since the majority of us only own Mutual Funds, it is unlikely that we really have much of a say. I don't view this process to be a whole lot different then our political system.

It is very easy to look at data and come to a simple solution.

A reduction in CEO pay in order to distribute that throughout a company would have little to no effect on our economy at all. If we distributed the $3 million among the 65,000 at my previous employer, you be looking at a fat $46 a person. I did the math for my current employer and it's just over $100 a person.

I am not wealthy by any means but I can confidently say that redistribution of wealth is not the answer.

The real problem in this country is that we don't make anything anymore. I worked in an area of North Carolina that was completely ravaged by the loss of the textile industry. You had thousands of people in one geographical area that were responsible for anything from blankets to shirts to socks. They made a good living and had decent benefits. Do you think they can replace that wage with a job at Subway? That is just factoring the actual jobs lost in a factory. When you start to look at a gas station by a plant, a diner around the corner, a welding shop that helped to fix broken equipment the devastation of losing a plant/industry reaches far more then those that worked within the walls of the building. There are similar pockets throughout the country with the auto industry and just about any manufacturing in California.

I can't recall the title of the book (I'll try to track it down) that talks about the consumer habits of Americans and how we are helping to kill our own economy. The basic premise is that in attempt to save a buck at companies like Walmart, we (the consumer) are bypassing American quality and jobs. The buck that we save has a far greater impact then what is felt at the check out.

I'm not advocating CEO's and/or their pay, but I'm saying that they aren't the problem. We are not a service economy and 'Free' trade is killing us. There is too much legislation and legal hoops in America to compete on the world stage.

CEO's are responsible for our economic problems is no different then saying 'Fast Food' is why our kids are getting fatter.

A reduction in CEO pay in order to distribute that throughout a company would have little to no effect on our economy at all. If we distributed the $3 million among the 65,000 at my previous employer, you be looking at a fat $46 a person. I did the math for my current employer and it's just over $100 a person.

except that's not proportional over all companies. Not everyone has that many employees. And not only that, but many companies have SEVERAL upper management employees getting paid much more than the middle class. It's not just one CEO...it's many other people. How many times did we hear in the news during the recent recession about how upper management at banks, who had either gotten bailed out or had reported terrible losses, STILL got their year end bonuses??

I think a lot of problem has to do with EVERYONE of EVERY class expecting to get paid more than they are. The unions want more...the CEOs want more. The shareholders want the companies they are invested in to earn more. No longer is a company expected to break even. Shareholders want a better profit percentage than the year before. Otherwise the underlying stock stays stagnant. Analysts expect growth...and shareholders demand a company to follow or beat the expected analyst estimates. So a company has to find a way to do better than the previous year.

Which relates to your opinion on how no one ever makes anything anymore. What's a great way to cut costs but still allow upper management to keep their paychecks? Outsource!

• Fire 1

If you do happen to make the trip to Maddison, make sure you get your picture taken by all the Palm Trees.

Fair and balanced, my friend. Fair and balanced.

Not sure what you mean as I very rarely watch TV news..

I get all MY news from HuskerBoard, the local hard Rock Shock Jocks, and if anything from either source spurs my interest,...google.

You "wingers" can keep listening to the same 26 discussions about Charlie Sheen and his Tiger Blood/Madonna DNA interupted by countless car ads...All while taking turns blaming each other for every little booboo.

The real people in charge of the world banks like it when you're all distracted.

I enjoy the irony. This guy gets punched, the douche behind him is holding a "FAKE NEWS" sign in the background, and the people (who sooooooooo wish that they were in the streets during the '68 DNC) to the right holding the "Be nice, The World is Watching" sign. Why would anyone take these people, or their demands, seriously when they act in this manner? If you're going to protest, protest in the correct manner instead of this childish manner.

http://videos.mediaite.com/embed/player/container/420/421/?layout=&playlist_cid=&media_type=video&content=H965C227PT0SDW59&read_more=1&widget_type_cid=svp&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediaite.com%2Ftv%2Ffox-news-mike-tobin-shares-details-of-unwanted-touching-received-by-wisconsin-protesters%2F#

For some reason I was reminded of when Gameday went to Lincoln and some of the "worlds greatest fans" heckled "girlyman" Herbstreit for his (greatest team playoff) rant over voters picking our '95 team over our '71 team and he thought there should be more "passing teams" mentioned.

How long have these network reporters been giving such emotional opinions? I'd rather they gave us the facts and not tell us what we should "think" about it.

If you do happen to make the trip to Maddison, make sure you get your picture taken by all the Palm Trees.

I get all MY news from HuskerBoard, the local hard Rock Shock Jocks, and if anything from either source spurs my interest,...google.

You "wingers" can keep listening to the same 26 discussions about Charlie Sheen and his Tiger Blood/Madonna DNA interupted by countless car ads...All while taking turns blaming each other for every little booboo.

The real people in charge of the world banks like it when you're all distracted.

Easy sir. I was taking a jab at Fox News. That's their slogan, you know . . . and I was pointing out how they fail to live up to that slogan.

Also, I'm with you. I no longer have cable and my TV only gets channel 6 at the moment. Someone had to explain the Charlie Sheen thing to me yesterday. BUT I do know about nearly every bill that is going through the state legislature.

Easy sir. I was taking a jab at Fox News. That's their slogan, you know . . . and I was pointing out how they fail to live up to that slogan.

Also, I'm with you. I no longer have cable and my TV only gets channel 6 at the moment. Someone had to explain the Charlie Sheen thing to me yesterday. BUT I do know about nearly every bill that is going through the state legislature.

So, c&t, brah.

So, c&t, brah.

It's not by choice . . . brah.

You'd be pissed too if you were taking a paycut, with little chance for future raises because you are unable to even talk about them with your boss.

Don't join a union that constrains you to follow in line w/ the other thousands of employees then. Unions award the underperforming with job security, and consequently fail to award high performers. If you're in the high performer group - don't be in a union. If you're in the underperforming group, pay your dues enjoy the status quo.

Why do you think teachers are on salary schedules? (hint: unions) Teacher of the year for the state of Nebraska gets the same compesation as the teacher the district is attempting to fire but can't without a year's worth of documentation. The children ultimately pay the price.

If businesses were run this way they'd fail (oh wait, large numbers of them recently did)

I used to think the way you do. I am a high performer at my job. Hated the Union. Then the compnay started trying to bone me for no reason what so ever, the company tried to cut our pay, they want to limit our medical excuses to 4 a year, with out unions these large companies could do pretty much whatever they want with their employees fair or not. End of the day there are tons of out of control unions. However they have a purpose and that is to get fair payment and treatment for all employees. Look back at the days before unions in America, get rid of unions get ready for some real bs

I used to think the way you do. I am a high performer at my job. Hated the Union. Then the compnay started trying to bone me for no reason what so ever, the company tried to cut our pay, they want to limit our medical excuses to 4 a year, with out unions these large companies could do pretty much whatever they want with their employees fair or not. End of the day there are tons of out of control unions. However they have a purpose and that is to get fair payment and treatment for all employees. Look back at the days before unions in America, get rid of unions get ready for some real bs

That is a tragic story. I actually read it all even though I wanted to stop after 'the compnay started trying to bone me'. You left out the part where someone held a gun to your head and made you work there.

I have the exact same story, but with a different ending. I quit...got a job with higher pay...and was promoted to a higher level then my previous employer in a very short period of time.

Who decides what is fair?....You, Union, a lawyer..the HR department. 'Back in the days before Unions' there were no ambulance chasers, OSHA, affirmative action, forced diversity, FMLA. The unions served a legitimate purpose at one time, but those days are long gone. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about with the 4 medical excuses. Any lawyer would have a field day if it violated FMLA, which is ridiculously easy to qualify for (a topic for a later date).

You're a member of the sector of our society that is growing like a virus....a victim. It's always someone else's fault.

You'd be pissed too if you were taking a paycut, with little chance for future raises because you are unable to even talk about them with your boss.

Don't join a union that constrains you to follow in line w/ the other thousands of employees then. Unions award the underperforming with job security, and consequently fail to award high performers. If you're in the high performer group - don't be in a union. If you're in the underperforming group, pay your dues enjoy the status quo.

Why do you think teachers are on salary schedules? (hint: unions) Teacher of the year for the state of Nebraska gets the same compesation as the teacher the district is attempting to fire but can't without a year's worth of documentation. The children ultimately pay the price.

If businesses were run this way they'd fail (oh wait, large numbers of them recently did)

Very true. As the union membership has shrank over the last couple decades, worker wages in all fields stagnated, while upper management wages sky rocketed. Vacation days have shrunk, many workers have no such thing as a sick day. And countless other tyrannical policies. If you want to see things like the minimum wage, the 40 hour work week, overtime, vacation days, sick days all go away, sure, lets get rid of unions. Contrary to rightwing propaganda, the theory that free market without rules will give you all those things, is a fallacy in almost every field. Most operations use a race for the bottom method for anyone who does not work in a corporate office.

My 2 cents. I have worked both sides in my life. I worked for 1 company that was not union and did not need to be, they paid a fair wage, offered an employee stock program, put 6% of your yearly gross into a retierment fund, had a decent medical/dental/vision plan. Now I have worked at so many places that the odds seem rather small to find a place like that. Flip side I have worked for unions that put $500 a year into your retirement, had insurance but wasnt all that good (ex. wanted that drug to stop smoking and it wasnt covered), pay was good for area, had to work 13 days on one off (2 days a month off).

Point is and I think this is the point some people were trying to make, it is up to the companies and the people who run them to take care of thier employees. Employee health and keeping good employees (decent wage) should be top of the list, but when the goverment or making money make it easier and cheaper to import workers for less pay and less bennies, well you are going to see the decline in quality jobs as well as a decline in society as a "middle" class. But as stated the people at the top will not be taking any sort of pay cut or cut in managment bennies, as stated they will turn a bigger profit and be rewarded even more.

Btw, that good company I worked for years ago, now closed one of thier 4 plants and shipped it over seas, so I suspect they tried to be the best they could for as long as they could but in the end the goverments laws and loop holes just made it easier to leave. This was just in the past couple of years they did this.

There are five states where collective bargaining for teachers is illegal. Those five states rank near the bottom in SAT score rankings, South Carolina 50th, North Carolina 49th, Georgia 48th, Texas 47th, Virginia 44th, and Wisconsin is 2nd. Dumbing down America is at an all time high. If you pay in peanuts, you get monkeys.