Husker football fun fact pertaining to MNC

Nexus

Did some research and found that Nebraska is one of six programs with an active streak of contending for an MNC at least once in consecutive decades. I used 1936 as the starting point for this research (aka "The polling system era") since that was the year the AP poll was introduced followed by the Coaches poll 14 years later. NU's current streak began in 1965 when they contended for their first MNC against Alabama in the Orange Bowl, even though they lost.

Teams with active streaks:

Alabama = 8 consecutive decades and counting...

Nebraska = 5 " "

Florida = 3 " "

Florida State = 3 " "

Miami = 3 " "

Auburn = 2 " "

Another thing I found interesting is the fact that we've won at least one MNC every other decade since 1965.

60s = Lost

70s = Won

80s = Lost

90s = Won

00s = Lost

10s = ?

If the above historical pattern continues, then we're due to win another MNC this decade.

Below are some streaks that have ended. Keep in mind that teams like Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, USC and Texas have contended for MNC's in the 2000s decade, so they're essentially starting over again.

Michigan - 1940-1990 (6 Consecutive Decades)

Notre Dame - 1936-1990 (7 Consecutive Decades)

Oklahoma - 1940-1980 (5 Consecutive Decades)

Penn State - 1960-1990 (4 Consecutive Decades)

Ohio State - 1940-1970 (4 Consecutive Decades)

Texas - 1940-1980 (5 Consecutive Decades)

Tennessee - 1970-1990 (3 Consecutive Decades)

Georgia - 1960-1980 (3 Consecutive Decades)

LSU - 1950-1970 (3 Consecutive Decades)

USC - 1950-1970 (3 Consecutive Decades)

Michigan State - 1950-1970 (3 Consecutive Decades)

Washington - 1980-1990 (2 Consecutive Decades)

BYU - 1980-1990 (2 Consecutive Decades)

Pittsburgh - 1970-1980 (2 Consecutive Decades)

Arkansas - 1960-1970 (2 Consecutive Decades)

Iowa - 1950-1960 (2 Consecutive Decades)

Mississippi - 1950-1960 (2 Consecutive Decades)

Army - 1940-1950 (2 Consecutive Decades)

Minnesota - 1936-1940 (2 Consecutive Decades)

FYI, MNC winners and teams that might've contended for, but lost an MNC before 1936 don't count in the data I've compiled above.

• Fire 4

Good post, should be an exciting decade for Husker football, just like every decade. ;)

The best part is, not only are we due one championship according to the every other decade statistic, but we are due MULTIPLE championships.

As once we win one championship, history proves, that generally, 2 out of 3 times [66%] we win the Championship the next year as well.

So here's hoping to 2 or 3 National Championships [or even more] this decade! The stats back up this claim. :bigredn::koolaid2::w00t:clap:cheers:thumbs

not trying to discount your work nexus, because i unquestionably click on your threads...

but i swear i saw this somewhere else. i just cant link it. it might have even been here, awhile back. who knows.

either way, good on ya, its better BS to talk around a beer than most of the other garbage going on around this board.

I see at least one mistae.. Texas would've won the MNC had thy beat Georgia(?) in the Cotton Bowl after the 1983 season. I don't remember them contending in the 90s though.

I see at least one mistae.. Texas would've won the MNC had thy beat Georgia(?) in the Cotton Bowl after the 1983 season. I don't remember them contending in the 90s though.

Yea - didn't ND play for the MNC in 1990 as well?

You are both correct according to one website. I used 3 different websites for cross-referencing this info. and two of them did not acknowledge either of those teams in their polling data. I guess we could chalk it up to difference in interpretation or whatever?

The interesting thing about '83 according to one website, the pollsters from different committees that selected MNC's after bowl games were decided picked the following teams; Miami, Nebraska, Auburn, Georgia and Clemson. Not one pollster voted Texas even though they were the one team that gave Auburn their only loss that year while Georgia had a loss and a tie to Auburn and Clemson respectively. Ultimately the two big polls (AP/Coaches) selected Miami as MNC that year.

As for Notre Dame's inclusion for '93, I can see why there is some disagreement between the three websites I cross-referenced. One site included Notre Dame while the other two do not. Long story short, if NU beats Florida State that year, they would've been one of two teams to finish undefeated with Auburn. However, Auburn was on probation that year and was automatically disqualified from MNC contention. So basically the argument is, does an 11-1 Notre Dame deserve MNC consideration if NU finished undefeated? That's where those websites disagree. But as one site pointed out that since NU lost, ND deserved MNC contention status.

Thanks for pointing it out. +1

Yea - didn't ND play for the MNC in 1990 as well?

The interesting thing about '83 according to one website, the pollsters from different committees that selected MNC's after bowl games were decided picked the following teams; Miami, Nebraska, Auburn, Georgia and Clemson. Not one pollster voted Texas even though they were the one team that gave Auburn their only loss that year while Georgia had a loss and a tie to Auburn and Clemson respectively. Ultimately the two big polls (AP/Coaches) selected Miami as MNC that year.

As for Notre Dame's inclusion for '93, I can see why there is some disagreement between the three websites I cross-referenced. One site included Notre Dame while the other two do not. Long story short, if NU beats Florida State that year, they would've been one of two teams to finish undefeated with Auburn. However, Auburn was on probation that year and was automatically disqualified from MNC contention. So basically the argument is, does an 11-1 Notre Dame deserve MNC consideration if NU finished undefeated? That's where those websites disagree. But as one site pointed out that since NU lost, ND deserved MNC contention status.

Thanks for pointing it out. +1

For Texas 1983, I was thinking of them playing for th MNC in their bowl game (and hoping the Huskers would lose that night, as they did). Texas lost, so thy had no claim to the MNC after the bowls, but they probably would've been ahead of Miami had they won.

ND in 1993, I agree they weren't playing for the MNC since that would be the winner for NU-FSU. Maybe a tie would've helped. I think the question was the actual 1990 season, where a win over CU and other dominoes falling would've given them the MNC.