The Sporting News Spring Top 10

Polls should not come out till atleast the 5th week of the season.

Yes and no.

Yes, polls should not come out until week 5 of the season if what you want is a meaningful/semi-meaningful poll. But... no... we need polls now so that we have reason to talk football in March rather than work ^_^

Well, we lost 3 of the 4 most important DBs on the team. That says to me we are going to have some growing pains. Returning a high quality front 7 and Dennard is great but you can't expect Ciante/A. Green to fill Hagg/Gomes/Prince's spots without a grace period. You are 100% right that we bring in some great recruits. Guess what though? None of those recruits have ever played a college football game.

We won't be doing the Peso thing anytime soon. You're gonna see a more traditional 4-3 instead of the 4-1-6 we were running most of the year, so the loss of those DB's isn't as bad.

It's true we will see a more traditional 4-3 but spread offenses still exist in the B1G. And that doesn't mean there won't be growing pains (or a grace period dedhoarse )with the kids filling Prince, Gomes, and Hagg's spots. No doubt the talent to replace those guys is already on the roster and by the end of the year they will be playing at a very high level. That fact, however, doesn't mean from day 1 of the 2011 those kids will be perfect.

This is a preseason poll questions and I believe you can't hand this kids a top ten position without having them prove it on the field first. I'm sticking with my 18 spot and I'll watch them climb up the rankings.

Don't disagree, but I just wanted to point out that we'll have 3 starting LB's with at least a year of starting experience. Add in 2 returning safties that started half the season, and a shutdown corner in Dennard, and things aren't that bleak. As for our ranking, IMO and top #20 is fine by me. When you see some of the teams that are in these pre-season rankings, it's apparent how much of a crap shoot it is.

Totally agree my friend!

Polls should not come out till atleast the 5th week of the season.

Yes and no.

Yes, polls should not come out until week 5 of the season if what you want is a meaningful/semi-meaningful poll. But... no... we need polls now so that we have reason to talk football in March rather than work ^_^

I will agree that it does give us something to talk about...and work is overrated anyways!!!

I think it's a good spot for us, keep the expectations high. I thought maybe another Big 10 school would of made it. What happened to Wiscy ? Did they lose too much.

You didn't see Ohio State at 4? And Wisconsin lost JJ Watt who was the catalyst for their defense. So they have to prove themselves before people take their defense seriously.