I Have To Wonder...

I've been very impressed with how Japan is reponding emotionally to their situation. They are accepting the help, but aren't asking for it so to speak. In our country I think we'd be crying for help and would expect it from other countries, we could learn somethings about this entire situation from Japan.

Dog in Japan stays by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble"]Dog in Japan stays by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble

The video is a stark reminder that, as was the case when Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast in 2005, there will likely be thousands of pets orphaned or involuntarily abandoned due to the catastrophe in Japan. If you'd like to help efforts to help these animals, you can find info on doing so here.

UPDATE: CNN and the UK Telegraph have both reported that the dogs have been rescued since the footage aired, and are both receiving veterinary care; the more seriously wounded dog is at a clinic in the city of Mito, while the protective spaniel-type dog is receiving care at a shelter in the same town.

Here is an English translation of the voiceover exchange between the two reporters in the clip (translation courtesy of Toshiyuki Kitamura):

We are in Arahama area. Looks like there is a dog. There is a dog. He looks tired and dirty. He must have been caught in the tsunami. He looks very dirty.

He has a collar. He must be someone's pet. He has a silver collar. He is shaking. He seems very afraid.

Oh, there is another dog. I wonder if he is dead.

Where?

Right there. There is another dog right next to the one sitting down. He is not moving. I wonder. I wonder if he is alright.

The dog is protecting him.

Yes. He is protecting the dog. That is why he did not want us to approach them. He was trying to keep us at bay.

I can't watch this. This is a very difficult to watch.

Oh. Look. He is moving. He is alive. I am so happy to see that he is alive.

Yes! Yes! He is alive.

He looks to be weakened. We need to them to be rescued soon. We really want them rescued soon.

Oh good. He's getting up.

Notice theres no chaos going on over there. No looting, people waiting in long lines for food and water. Supermarkets cutting prices and vending machine owners giving out free drinks as people work together to survive. Very polite people with great culture, something we could all learn. How about the Fukushima 50 battling radiation risks as a Japan nuclear crisis deepens.

I lived in Japan for two years and I can say that it was probably the best time I have ever lived in any country.

They pride themselves on their culture and believe that you should NOT invade others privacy. So for them not to do any looting doesn't surprise me at all. Hell I would still live there if I could even with everything that is going on now.

Their country is beautiful, the people are very helpful. I was lost trying to find a hotel. A man was walking in my direction and I pointed to my paper and asked if he knew where it was. He took a hold of my arm, turned around and walked me 5 blocks and then pointed to the hotel. I thanked him and he turned around and walked the way we came. For him to go basically 10 blocks out of his way to help speaks volume to me.

As for the only country to help. I know when 9-11 hit us, Russia sent us a "Tear Drop" statue. You never heard about it in the news or anywhere else. It was a great gesture from them to us. Here is a description and a pic of it in snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/tributes/teardrop.asp

Dog in Japan stays by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble"]Dog in Japan stays by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble

The video is a stark reminder that, as was the case when Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast in 2005, there will likely be thousands of pets orphaned or involuntarily abandoned due to the catastrophe in Japan. If you'd like to help efforts to help these animals, you can find info on doing so here.

UPDATE: CNN and the UK Telegraph have both reported that the dogs have been rescued since the footage aired, and are both receiving veterinary care; the more seriously wounded dog is at a clinic in the city of Mito, while the protective spaniel-type dog is receiving care at a shelter in the same town.

Here is an English translation of the voiceover exchange between the two reporters in the clip (translation courtesy of Toshiyuki Kitamura):

We are in Arahama area. Looks like there is a dog. There is a dog. He looks tired and dirty. He must have been caught in the tsunami. He looks very dirty.

He has a collar. He must be someone's pet. He has a silver collar. He is shaking. He seems very afraid.

Where?

Right there. There is another dog right next to the one sitting down. He is not moving. I wonder. I wonder if he is alright.

Yes. He is protecting the dog. That is why he did not want us to approach them. He was trying to keep us at bay.

Yes! Yes! He is alive.

He looks to be weakened. We need to them to be rescued soon. We really want them rescued soon.

Dogs are some of the best people in the world.

T_O_B

Where?

Yes! Yes! He is alive.

Dogs are some of the best people in the world.

T_O_B

I can still picture Radar O'Riley saying that on M*A*S*H

My Husky is still a little traumatized from last Wednesday's "Home Invasion" by the local Police.