Texas Spring Game on ESPN

JTrain

I don't agree with that. True they had a bad year last season ... except against us. But he has had a lot of good years, including NC and played for another one. He has to be doing something right with his coaching ... there's a lot more to it than just recruiting. You still have to develop players. I can't think of him less than a great coach ... he wouldn't have down as well if he wasn't, talent or no talent.

Consider this. One of the best defensive coordinators of this college football era worked at Texas, and he was good enough to become the head coach at Florida. Texas, year-in and year-out, has one of the highest if not the highest ranked recruiting classes in the nation. Each year, they recruit more four and five star players than almost any other school in the nation. They're at the heart of arguably the deepest and most talented recruiting hot-bed in the nation.

When Mack Brown won his lone championship for Texas, it was with one of the greatest college quarterbacks ever. Go back to the 2005 National Championship game. Does Texas win that game without Vince Young? No, they don't.

What does this all mean? Is Brown a bad coach? No, I wouldn't say that. I would, however, say that he's not a great coach. He's simply a good coach with a lot of talent and millions of dollars to throw around thanks to an outstanding athletic department and state. Great coaches don't go 5-7 and lose games like he did last year. They just don't.

Well said

I wonder at what point a university crosses the line between a non profit organization and a taxable entity competing with the business sector. It's one thing for Notre Dame and conferences to sign television contracts with ESPN, CBS, etc., but to start a partnership with ESPN to create a network...give me a break. I realize the Big Ten Network has come under attack as a tax-exempted entity, but at least it consists of only educational institution members. I am very curious as to how taxes and profits will be allocated in a partnership between what is clearly a for-profit business entity and a non profit program. I am sure some Texas lawyers are on this, but it seems to me like a line has been crossed.

You guys could be right ... I could be wrong. But you still have to coach Vince Young and the other players. You still have to develop them regardless of their stars. Without great development, Suh continuing with BC as coach never would have been that great of a player. One bad season doesn't make Brown less of a coach for the overall duration of his stay at UT. He perhaps got complacent ... took his eye off the ball ... but that doesn't mean he won't bring his teams back. Respectfully, we have a difference of opinion. :)

• Fire 1

I wonder at what point a university crosses the line between a non profit organization and a taxable entity competing with the business sector. It's one thing for Notre Dame and conferences to sign television contracts with ESPN, CBS, etc., but to start a partnership with ESPN to create a network...give me a break. I realize the Big Ten Network has come under attack as a tax-exempted entity, but at least it consists of only educational institution members. I am very curious as to how taxes and profits will be allocated in a partnership between what is clearly a for-profit business entity and a non profit program. I am sure some Texas lawyers are on this, but it seems to me like a line has been crossed.

The Big Ten Network is partially (49% I believe) owned by Fox.

The Big Ten Network is partially (49% I believe) owned by Fox.

Thanks for that info. Guess I'm not surprised now that the BIG Network gets scrutinized. I still have to say I'm little surprised this gets by. I kinda wonder what the breaking point is as far as business models, or if it has already been crossed and more government heat comes at some point down the road for these setups.

Their offense is so boring to watch. And it's clear to me that Mac Brown is more of a icon than a coach, he's been on his headset talking to ESPN the whole day, wasting valuable coaching time. He's having his guys coach, he just recruits and says something like "well I think this guy looks pretty nice for us." Yeah and Longhorn Network commercials and logos are plastered all over this game. It's clear that it's an advertisement for the school.

I also love how the stadium is about 20-30% full... and tickets were free. HA! Our tickets are $10 and we still sell out or sell at least 70% of the game out every year.

What did you expect watching a glorified spring practice. Of course they weren't going to be all complucated on offense. New staff memebers, new schemes. Have you been to NU's spring game? They are actually pretty boring as well. Mack also has been the type of coach that has always let his assistants do their thing and not step on their toes. He has always coached like that. Mack is much like Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno, a CEO type coach. Because you always saw those guys hop in drills to make points the last couple of years. Finally what do you think the purpose of the Longhorn Network is? It IS an advertising mechanism for the school. It is going to be all about the Horns, and honestly why shouldn't it be. It would look exactly the same if NU would've gone that route. Sorry, GKF, but this is easily your worst post I have seen.

Texas officially announced 45000. What a load. Not that it really matters, but why flat out lie when hundreds of thousands watching on TV could clearly tell otherwise? Those actually in attendance estimated around 20k.

AUSTIN - As part of an effort to draw families to its spring football festivities, Texas promised a screening of Toy Story 3 on the giant scoreboard at Royal-Memorial Stadium on Sunday. But following an orange-white scrimmage in which old, familiar plots developed for a team that went 5-7 last year, fewer than 50 fans stayed for the duration of the movie.

Despite coach Mack Brown's best intentions, it seems fantasies about inanimate objects suddenly coming to life remain as hard of a sell at UT as ever.

Work to be done

The optimistic viewpoint of Sunday's scrimmage — played in front of an announced crowd of 45,000, at least a third of which apparently will be later digitally added by Pixar - was that the Longhorns have some excellent walk-ons and backups to rely upon. The more realistic outlook was that UT is not yet close to ridding itself of the issues that plagued the team last fall.

Texas officially announced 45000. What a load. Not that it really matters, but why flat out lie when hundreds of thousands watching on TV could clearly tell otherwise? Those actually in attendance estimated around 20k.

AUSTIN - As part of an effort to draw families to its spring football festivities, Texas promised a screening of Toy Story 3 on the giant scoreboard at Royal-Memorial Stadium on Sunday. But following an orange-white scrimmage in which old, familiar plots developed for a team that went 5-7 last year, fewer than 50 fans stayed for the duration of the movie.

Despite coach Mack Brown's best intentions, it seems fantasies about inanimate objects suddenly coming to life remain as hard of a sell at UT as ever.

Work to be done

The optimistic viewpoint of Sunday's scrimmage — played in front of an announced crowd of 45,000, at least a third of which apparently will be later digitally added by Pixar - was that the Longhorns have some excellent walk-ons and backups to rely upon. The more realistic outlook was that UT is not yet close to ridding itself of the issues that plagued the team last fall.

Texas Spring game/Toy Story 3 screening=EPIC FAIL

Its pretty obvious either Texas fans have better things to do or they simply dont care.