Chris Brooks

I was always under the impression that he wasn't a great blocker. It was because of this that he seldom saw the field.

That's what we were told. I typically equated that to benching a fine RB because he can't pass.

The whole blocking thing Gilmore used was pathetic. The primary job of a WR is to catch the ball but that seemed to be priority #2. It makes me wonder if a Desean Jackson type would have been able to earn major P/T under Gilmore. And to go along with your thoughts Knapplc, a better analogy would be benching a Cornerback because he's not a great tackler.

I was always under the impression that he wasn't a great blocker. It was because of this that he seldom saw the field.

That's what we were told. I typically equated that to benching a fine RB because he can't pass.

The whole blocking thing Gilmore used was pathetic. The primary job of a WR is to catch the ball but that seemed to be priority #2. It makes me wonder if a Desean Jackson type would have been able to earn major P/T under Gilmore. And to go along with your thoughts Knapplc, a better analogy would be benching a Cornerback because he's not a great tackler.

The primary job of a WR is not to catch a ball. Great receivers see the ball how many times a game, 6-8 times? Their primary job on passing teams is to run correct routes. On our team where we run as much if not more than pass, blocking becomes a primary job as well. Btw, I wouldn't have a cornerback playing on a defense for me that wasn't very good at tackling.

Not quite. Downfield blocking is at least something a WR is expected to do from time to time. Hines Ward is not the greatest receiver in the world, but is notable for his tenacious blocking.

A better analogy might be benching a fine RB who can't catch.

Whatever. My goal wasn't making the best possible analogy ever, it was to point out the foolishness of not playing your best WRs.

I hope I speak for all of Husker Nation when I say Gilmore was the worst coach on the staff and he needed to move on. I was calling for his departure and was really happy to see him go to U$C. I am expecting better results from our new WR coach. Time will tell...

I'll disagree with you on this point. 1st - The worst coach on the team is still coaching at least one more year here before being reassigned. 2- He actually did a pretty decent job of developing some guys but he valued certain things more than others based on what he was told to do by the OC. I don't think he's getting a fair shake. So. . if blocking or route knowledge was priority one then that was the focus. Never mind if the guy could create separation from a DB, catch consistently or was fantastic at creating yards after the catch,etc. Those things to me see high on a list more than blocking or routes but it wasn't the "company" way.