Hawkeyes lose annual rivalry, gain another

Cool your jets BI. We still aren't what we were and they are better than what they once were. I can remember when Hayden Fry took over the Iowa and we signed a 4 year hme and home series with them. A lot of people in Nebraska thought 4 wins in the books and I said they will win at least one and they did.

<-- Disagrees completely. I think NU is in better hands now (defense wins championships) then all but the last few years under T.O., and also believe it can be clearly evidenced that Iowa is worse, and the big ten is worse in general.

IU is handing out schollies to players that NU doesn't even look at. Do some research. The talent disparity is greater now than ever between iowa and NU, and that will be seen on the field throughout the season this fall. Remember the bowl games last year? Boy the big ten sure looked great.

Slow, predictable, out-manned.

There is no competition in the conference in terms of speed.

The big ten is going to look like a one-legged man in an asskicking contest this fall vs. the flying Pelini's.

IMO etc.

Iowa and Wiskey are under center teams. You dont see to many teams like that anymore, they line up and run right at you and if you are going to stack the box, then we will pass. I tend to think nfl scouts like Iowa and Wiskey for that. You mentioned the huge difference in talented recruits, which is true, but Iowa and Whiskey send them to the pros just about as much as any other team. The nfl likes Iowa/Wiskey ball, and more important the fans love it. If you think the scouts were not watching Iowa/Wiskey play every year, I think you would be mistaken.

You all know what I am talking about, after all Nebraska had the most sucess of anyone, playing that same style of game. If I remember right, I was watching Nebraska ball, way back when and that was the first time I had ever heard of a college teams line avg right around 300 lbs. I seem to remember the announcers making a huge deal of it. Does this ring a bell or am I just losing it?

Talking Defense:

NU quit doing the "power football" because it stopped working, in particular when facing superior talent and specifically SPEED. (texas, oklahoma, SEC, etc.).

So, Bo got the speed to stop the fastest and most talented "skill position" teams out there, accounting for matchup problems, and has schemed/coached them up for four years now.

Today, Nebraska still has the beef on the D-line(This Is Nebraska), and NOW superior speed and athleticism across the back 6-7. I don't think a better dream scenario could have been worked out for NU, just based on matchup problems NU should own the conference for 2-3 seasons, or until the most traditional, last to the "play fast" party football conference makes adjustments across the board required to counter what Pelini has built. Hell, it could take longer, given the collection of programs we're talking about.

Teams like wisconsin and iowa in particular may never be able to recruit the type of talent that it will take to regularly contend with the Blackshirts between the white lines.

The big ten is about to find out in a very real way, that if you can't score, you can't win. I will guarantee right now that barring catastrophic injuries across the D, that this year's D will surpass the Suh led D statistically. There is no offense in the big ten, when comparing to the big 12. Who's going to score?? Does any honest person here really think Pelini, who's D stopped the SEC AND the BIG 12 consecutively, will not continue to dominate, but even more so, in the big ten? just think about it.

Its almost scary.

Talking Defense:

NU quit doing the "power football" because it stopped working, in particular when facing superior talent and specifically SPEED. (texas, oklahoma, SEC, etc.).

So, Bo got the speed to stop the fastest and most talented "skill position" teams out there, accounting for matchup problems, and has schemed/coached them up for four years now.

Today, Nebraska still has the beef on the D-line(This Is Nebraska), and NOW superior speed and athleticism across the back 6-7. I don't think a better dream scenario could have been worked out for NU, just based on matchup problems NU should own the conference for 2-3 seasons, or until the most traditional, last to the "play fast" party football conference makes adjustments across the board required to counter what Pelini has built. Hell, it could take longer, given the collection of programs we're talking about.

Teams like wisconsin and iowa in particular may never be able to recruit the type of talent that it will take to regularly contend with the Blackshirts between the white lines.

The big ten is about to find out in a very real way, that if you can't score, you can't win. I will guarantee right now that barring catastrophic injuries across the D, that this year's D will surpass the Suh led D statistically. There is no offense in the big ten, when comparing to the big 12. Who's going to score?? Does any honest person here really think Pelini, who's D stopped the SEC AND the BIG 12 consecutively, will not continue to dominate, but even more so, in the big ten? just think about it.

Its almost scary.

How have you come to the conclusion that Nebraska has greater team speed than the entirety of the Big 10?

Why does a simple speed advantage (presuming this is true) mean we "own the conference for 2-3 seasons?" Speed alone does not win games.

I will guarantee right now that barring catastrophic injuries across the D, that this year's D will surpass the Suh led D statistically.

That's a pretty bold statement. The '09 Blackshirts were the best scoring defense was only bettered by 01 Miami and 08 USC, the team that had 3 top-40 picked LBs, Taylor Mays, Everson Griffin, Jurrell Casey, and Josh Pinkard.

I didn't go back and check, but I'd be willing to bet that was one of the only defensive units this decade to have the top scoring defense, top pass defense, and top-10 rush defense.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Blackshirts are gonna be nasty this year, but better than Suh's crew? We'll see

I am looking forward to the new matchups and all the fun of seeing new venues, even if its only on TV. As for the results, I am not going to get caught up in that. Truth is that I am never truly happy as a fan unless we win all the games. That happens very few times, so dissecting games now and figuring up the wins and losses, well, it's just not very productive.

1) How have you come to the conclusion that Nebraska has greater team speed than the entirety of the Big 10?

2) Why does a simple speed advantage (presuming this is true) mean we "own the conference for 2-3 seasons?" Speed alone does not win games.

Talking Defense:

1) didn't say that? I said that NU has speed to stop the fastest offenses around, and has demonstrated such. Team speed is just as much about understanding and knowledge of the scheme as it is about 40 yard dash times. 4 years in, look out.

2) where are you getting that all NU has is a speed advantage? Look who is coming back. Look who our coaches are, what they've done. Look at the league we're going into. Advantage NU every defensive category imaginable, regardless of how you partition it.

- and -

Consider:

(speaking in general terms, don't bother to come back with contrarian anecdotal examples.)

Remember what mike leach's offense did to the big 12? nobody could stop it, everyone tried to emulate it(KU, MU, UT, OU, OSU, etc).

Bo comes along, and figures out how to stop it, most effectively with said '09 D.

Teams begin to change their tac to more "power football" to counter the speed NU plays with on the edges.

NU continues to impress, even with NO FREAKING OFFENSE, even NEGATIVE offense(leading to more points for the other team than they score), down the stretch last season.

blah blah blah

enter big ten.

I believe that Bo's Blackshirt D will have the same magnitude of effect on the big ten that leach did on the big 12, forcing the entire conference to shift away from "power football" and ultimately making the entire conference better. Team will have to be more "multiple" and have more speed on the edges in addition to the tired old power game to consistently move the ball against the Blackshirts.

Nobody in the big ten is prepared for the defensive Armageddon that NU is about to unleash. I'm telling you guys, teams will hope to score a single touchdown this season.

.....and be disappointed.

.....of course, this must be with the caveat that NU's offense actually becomes liability-neutral this season.

Heaven help the big ten if our O can average 20 points a game in conference.

How can you not see this? Are you pulling my leg, knapplc?

How can you not see this? Are you pulling my leg, knapplc?

I get the impression you don't watch a lot of Big 10 football. I think you're vastly overrating Nebraska's defense against the Big 10. All of your comments are Nebraska-centric, with zero analysis of the teams we'll face. It's not out of the realm of possibility that we could start 0-2 in conference.

• Fire 2
I believe that Bo's Blackshirt D will have the same magnitude of effect on the big ten that leach did on the big 12, forcing the entire conference to shift away from "power football" and ultimately making the entire conference better. Team will have to be more "multiple" and have more speed on the edges in addition to the tired old power game to consistently move the ball against the Blackshirts.

Back the truck up, I would 60% of the B1G runs a spread attack. The only true "power" (if you could even call them that, since they are multiple) are Wisconsin, Iowa, and maybe Penn State. Other than that, you have alot of shotgun formation, spread the defense out kind of attacks. Next seaosn, before we play them, watch Illinois, Northwestern and Michigan.

Wrong again, bucko. I watch the big slow ten plenty, born in big ten country, raised there, and as recently as last season said to myself, "god these teams are so freaking SLOW".

and

"Man, i wish NU could play these guys, it would be hillarious. That stone age offense wouldn't go anywhere."

and

"Oh snap!!! Amukamara never would have let that slow ass dude get his hands on the ball!"

and

"That running back that looks like he's running in place never would have made it to the line of scrimmage."

Removing the "leach" factor from most of the teams we play allows Bo and Carl to focus on lock down corners and line of scrimmage play, something that this team has in the bag. But i won't bother with this discussion any more, we'll just have to wait until the teams line up this fall...but best believe I'll be back to scoop up my message board credits when Ohio State gets blanked, Wisconisin goes for 140 yards on the ground, Iowa fires its offensive coordinator after the NU game, etc.

Back the truck up, I would 60% of the B1G runs a spread attack. The only true "power" (if you could even call them that, since they are multiple) are Wisconsin, Iowa, and maybe Penn State. Other than that, you have alot of shotgun formation, spread the defense out kind of attacks. Next seaosn, before we play them, watch Illinois, Northwestern and Michigan.

Yeah, teams that have no skill players trying to run a scheme that relies on skill position mismatches doesn't work well.

What's your point?

Consider this: Last year Nebraska had a porous run defense. We finished 63rd in the nation playing in a pass-centric offensive conference. We gave up 153 yards per game, including 179 yards to W. Kentucky, 175 to Washington (the first time), 141 to SDSU, 180 to KSU, 209 to Texas, 212 to Oklahoma St, 157 to Iowa State, and 268 to Washington (the second time).

Now we're joining a conference where smash-mouth football is the norm, and we're going to roll over them with speed? We'll see.

but best believe I'll be back to scoop up my message board credits when Ohio State gets blanked, Wisconisin goes for 140 yards on the ground, Iowa fires its offensive coordinator after the NU game, etc.

Deal. When we shut out Ohio State, hold Wisky to 140 (or less) yards on the ground and the Hawkeyes fire their OC because of us, you get to boast all you want. :thumbs

Yeah, teams that have no skill players trying to run a scheme that relies on skill position mismatches doesn't work well.

What's your point?

Nathan Scheelhasse, Dennard Robinson, Dan Persa say hello. What have Bo Pelini defenses struggled with over the years? Mobile quarterbacks, and that's what those three are.

I dont think Iowa will ever stray from the power game. Thats what we like, and as fans, thats what we demand. I also ask you to take a look at Iowas bowl record for the last 6 or so years, power football has led them to win almost every bowl game for sometime now, regardless of what conference the other team is in or how "fast" that conference is percieved to be. In fact one could argue that OH ST getting away from traditional B10 type football, could be why they do not fare so well in bowl games, infact I would GUESS that almost all the teams in the B10 that dont play the power style ball have worse bowl records than Iowa/Wiskey who do still play the power game . I also still argue no way TCU beats Wiskey if Wiskey does what it does best, instead of trying to throw to many non-traditional plays in the mix.

Nebraska does have a very good D, is it unlike anything the B10 has ever faced, I doubt it. I personally am glad you all have a excellent D, I like those 10 to 7 type games, makes it more like a chess match and coaching and execution become paramount in a game like that.