Hawkeyes lose annual rivalry, gain another

Nathan Scheelhasse, Dennard Robinson, Dan Persa say hello. What have Bo Pelini defenses struggled with over the years? Mobile quarterbacks, and that's what those three are.

Not worried.

And actually, the only teams that REALLY gave Bo's D problems were coached by Mike Leach or his progeny.

And were loaded with texas speed.

Edit: And so you're saying that any one of those three teams are imposing? On the contrary, the most consistently successful programs in teh big ten conf are now, and have been, SHOCKINGLY "power" football teams, meaning big beefy and slow as hell, with maybe that one wideout who has wheels, gets drafted high, and then never pans out. Which all means: their offense might as well not show up for the NU game.

Nathan Scheelhasse, Dennard Robinson, Dan Persa say hello. What have Bo Pelini defenses struggled with over the years? Mobile quarterbacks, and that's what those three are.

Not worried.

And actually, the only teams that REALLY gave Bo's D problems were coached by Mike Leach or his progeny.

Tyrod Taylor, and Brad Smith also say hello.

I dont think Iowa will ever stray from the power game.

Dude, they will have to, or be resigned to runner-up status at best. But, they won't have the cache to regularly acquire the talent required to compete at the level necessary.

I'm just saying programs like michigan, ohio state, penn st. and dear old NU will perennially dominate the conference going forward, even more so than in the last ten years, because the entire conference will be forced to match up talent wise with what NU brings to the party on the defensive side of the ball. This upcoming season will reflect this change, and the beginning of a new era in big ten football.

It ain't chess, its checkers. Unfortunately for the big ten, NU has 11 black-shirted kings.

Not worried.

Jake Locker in the Holiday Bowl, Robert Griffin in 2008, Todd Reesing a couple of times, there's quite a few on that list.

Not worried.

Jake Locker in the Holiday Bowl, Robert Griffin in 2008, Todd Reesing a couple of times, there's quite a few on that list.

Austen Arnaud last year, Chase daniel in 2008.

Are you for real? Reesing got demolished. Locker got pummeled. Griffin who?

Any negatives for the team regarding the washington rematch can be laid at watson's feet.

But obviously, we'll all have to wait until the season, friends.

and damn it i can't wait for that wisconsin game. there will be long faces in cheeze land.

PSSSST: its 2011 now, Bo doesn't have the cosgrove legacy to deal with.

What in the hell?????

It appears you still haven't recovered from 2008.

However, NU has.

NU scores 20 points each game during the big ten portion of the schedule, and they go undefeated.

Recovered from 2008? What?

Are you for real? Reesing got demolished. Locker got pummeled. Griffin who?

Any negatives for the team regarding the washington rematch can be laid at watson's feet.

But obviously, we'll all have to wait until the season, friends.

and damn it i can't wait for that wisconsin game. there will be long faces in cheeze land.

Very much for real. Sure, it's easy to discount the Holiday Bowl, so we can throw that out, but Reesing was a mobile QB whose team scored on DONU two years in a row despite Ndamukong Suh, and Griffin ran for over 100 yards against us - and we do not have a Suh-like player on the team. Both Griffin and Reesing are the type of mobile QBs who traditionally have given our defense trouble, and we're going to see guys like this in the Big 10. We do not have a speed advantage at the skill positions over teams like OSU, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State and Iowa, so it's going to come down to scheming. While I have confidence in the Bros. Pelini, these teams will present problems.

Of course, our offense could magically improve and we could see T-Mart, Rex, Kyler Reed, BK, Bell and the rest of our speed guys streaking down the field over and over and over, but until that actually happens in conference, I'm not going to count on it, and I'm not going to count those games as won. It's going to be FAR more difficult to win than you're letting on. If we contend for the Legends division title I'll be happy.

mobile QBs who traditionally have given our defense trouble

This is something that has always bothered me. Is it due to a lack of discipline or is it just the Achilles Heal of our defense?

I'd guess it's more of a factor of having to contain the guy while respecting his arm. That's a lot to put on a defense's plate, so typically they're going to gain yardage. You just hope to minimize the damage they do on the ground while shutting down his receiving options, and that's tough to do.

I dont think Iowa will ever stray from the power game.

Dude, they will have to, or be resigned to runner-up status at best. But, they won't have the cache to regularly acquire the talent required to compete at the level necessary.

I'm just saying programs like michigan, ohio state, penn st. and dear old NU will perennially dominate the conference going forward, even more so than in the last ten years, because the entire conference will be forced to match up talent wise with what NU brings to the party on the defensive side of the ball. This upcoming season will reflect this change, and the beginning of a new era in big ten football.

It ain't chess, its checkers. Unfortunately for the big ten, NU has 11 black-shirted kings.

And your argument on the rest of my post?? I pointed out why we wouldnt stray and that it does actually work, and you say, "because we will have to". I'll forward your request to managment, but I dont think it will get very far. As I stated, until the rest of the B10 can compete as well as Iowa and Wiskey have in thier bowl games, they have no room to brag. Getting to the bigger games is only part of it, once there you have to be able to win them. That is something I hope Nebraska brings to the table, because to be honest besides Iowa and Wiskey I am a little ashamed at the rest of the B10 and their less than stellar post season play. To put it simply, would you rather have Nebraska make it to the NC, only to lose, or would you rather make it to the rose or orange and win? So I really dont care what kind of game Bo wants to play, just play it well, as for who wins and who loses, that will be decided on the field on game day. You all should have a good time this year, the games are most of the time fairly close when it comes to State,MI,OH ST,Wiskey and Iowa and even sometimes MI ST. I hope you will find the experience much to your liking.