Carnes Starter?

Taylor Martinez also made crappy decisions in a sping game as a one year starter against a defense he sees every day in practice. You liked what you saw from Carnes for a freshman? Holy expectations. The kid performed and looked good out there, regardless of year.

As far as the appealing part, I think you may be reading too much into that. What I mean by appealing is his demeanor of a QB. His motion is the cleanest we have seen in a long time, and he looks natural. Which is why alot of people are buzzing. Like I said Taylor can get the job done, but everything about his motion, pocket presence, its ugly, and its difficult for many people to accept getting the job done ugly. If that makes sense.

* First-Team Freshman All-American (Rivals.com)

* Second-Team Freshman All-American (CollegeFootballNews.com)

* Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches, Rivals.com)

* Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year (AP, Dallas Morning News, Kansas City Star, San Antonio News-Express, Fort Worth Star-Telegram)

* Honorable-Mention All-Big 12 (Coaches, AP)

* Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award Semifinalist (1 of 16)

* Maxwell Award Semifinalist (1 of 16)

* Manning Award Midseason Watch List Addition

* Walter Camp National Player of the Week (Oct. 23 at Oklahoma State)

* Four-Time Rivals.com National Freshman of the Week (WKU, UW, KSU, OSU)

* Two-Time Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week (at Kansas State, at Oklahoma State)

* School Record Single-Game Rushing Yards by a Quarterback (241 at Kansas St., Oct. 7)

I suppose that was an OK year. I suppose he can "get the job done."

By the way, there are no extra points given for the beauty of your throwing motion. The most memorable throw in all of Nebraska football history was ugly as sin, but the ball got there.

• Fire 1

Do I need to remind everyone of where this team was last spring in the QB situation. Let see we got a returning starter at QB. A stud redshirt freshman, a fresh new offense for players to learn. Sounds alot like last year. Pretty much that puts those 2 at equal footing heading into the fall.

Most thought the returning starter last year was gonna start again. Suprise Suprise it didnt happen, it may well happen again this year. Im not saying this bash Taylor. Im saying Carnes has 5 months to learn the playbook to get ready for the fall. He could very well unseat Taylor, it may not happen in the first game, but at some point Taylor may not be the starting QB anymore.

True. But 2009 Zac Lee and 2010 Taylor Martinez are about as comparable as me and Peyton Manning.

Lee's career accomplishments:

* First-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2009, 2010)

* Big 12 Commissioner’s Fall Academic Honor Roll (2008, 2009, 2010)

* Big 12 Commissioner’s Spring Academic Honor Roll (2008, 2009, 2010)

* Brook Berringer Citizenship Team (2010)

* Scout Team Offensive MVP (2007)

And I'm a HUGE Zac Lee fan. But I'm also realistic.

Do I need to remind everyone of where this team was last spring in the QB situation. Let see we got a returning starter at QB. A stud redshirt freshman, a fresh new offense for players to learn. Sounds alot like last year. Pretty much that puts those 2 at equal footing heading into the fall.

Most thought the returning starter last year was gonna start again. Suprise Suprise it didnt happen, it may well happen again this year. Im not saying this bash Taylor. Im saying Carnes has 5 months to learn the playbook to get ready for the fall. He could very well unseat Taylor, it may not happen in the first game, but at some point Taylor may not be the starting QB anymore.

True. But 2009 Zac Lee and 2010 Taylor Martinez are about as comparable as me and Peyton Manning.

Zac Lee's 1 year as a starter was kill the clock, run the ball up the gut. Let our defense win!!!!!! You cant compare Lee and Martinez seasons, completely different offenses.

Im a Zac Lee fan too. But Lee probably wouldnt have been the starter if Witt didnt transfer and Spano doesnt rip apart his knee.

Zac Lee's 1 year as a starter was kill the clock, run the ball up the gut. Let our defense win!!!!!! You cant compare Lee and Martinez seasons, completely different offenses.

Im a Zac Lee fan too. But Lee probably wouldnt have been the starter if Witt didnt transfer and Spano doesnt rip apart his knee.

Exactly, which means that we can't use the argument that it happened before, so it could happen again. Sure, Martinez could get beaten by Carnes for the starting job, but the odds are VERY long.

HuskerScott and Lyons - let me ask you this: Would the two of you agree with me that it's a two-horse race right now between Carnes and Martinez, and that Green is out of the picture for the #1 spot? That's the main thing I took from this game.

Taylor Martinez also made crappy decisions in a sping game as a one year starter against a defense he sees every day in practice. You liked what you saw from Carnes for a freshman? Holy expectations. The kid performed and looked good out there, regardless of year.

As far as the appealing part, I think you may be reading too much into that. What I mean by appealing is his demeanor of a QB. His motion is the cleanest we have seen in a long time, and he looks natural. Which is why alot of people are buzzing. Like I said Taylor can get the job done, but everything about his motion, pocket presence, its ugly, and its difficult for many people to accept getting the job done ugly. If that makes sense.

* First-Team Freshman All-American (Rivals.com)

* Second-Team Freshman All-American (CollegeFootballNews.com)

* Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches, Rivals.com)

* Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year (AP, Dallas Morning News, Kansas City Star, San Antonio News-Express, Fort Worth Star-Telegram)

* Honorable-Mention All-Big 12 (Coaches, AP)

* Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award Semifinalist (1 of 16)

* Maxwell Award Semifinalist (1 of 16)

* Manning Award Midseason Watch List Addition

* Walter Camp National Player of the Week (Oct. 23 at Oklahoma State)

* Four-Time Rivals.com National Freshman of the Week (WKU, UW, KSU, OSU)

* Two-Time Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week (at Kansas State, at Oklahoma State)

* School Record Single-Game Rushing Yards by a Quarterback (241 at Kansas St., Oct. 7)

I suppose that was an OK year. I suppose he can "get the job done."

By the way, there are no extra points given for the beauty of your throwing motion. The most memorable throw in all of Nebraska football history was ugly as sin, but the ball got there.

Why thank you for assembling Mr. Martinez's resume for him. Remind me where I said he didnt get the job done holy sire. Thats the first half of the season. People have trouble remembering that. The image the have instilled is this team crashing late in the year, also due in part to bad QB play. (Que the injury defense) Im in no way arguing about his ability to get the job done. I simply put that Carnes style is very appealing. It is crisp and clean, and people have a hard time remembering Taylor of old, so seeing Carnes tear up a mediocre defense looks pretty dang good to them.

One game last year Taylor showed good throwing potential, and it was against a terrible pass defense. You cannot tell me that Taylor was making good decisions as a qb late in the year. Just because he won 126797453 awards as a quarterback one year doesnt mean that he is a 4 year all american.

Im not throwing Taylor under the bus, like you seem to think.

Exactly, which means that we can't use the argument that it happened before, so it could happen again. Sure, Martinez could get beaten by Carnes for the starting job, but the odds are VERY long.

HuskerScott and Lyons - let me ask you this: Would the two of you agree with me that it's a two-horse race right now between Carnes and Martinez, and that Green is out of the picture for the #1 spot? That's the main thing I took from this game.

The two situations are eery similar to last year at this point. So yes it can happen again. Lee missed spring ball last year because of surgery on his elbow. They were supposedly limiting Taylors reps because of his ankle. Plus a new offense to learn. Just like last year.

Yes I agree its a 2 horse between Martinez and Carnes. Carnes brings the dynamic we were hoping for in Green. A good passer, pocket presence, and ability to escape pressure.

Yes I will agree, hopefully people wont ride my ass as hard as last year when I say that he needs to switch postions.

The way I see it, for us to have an elite offense is with Taylor Martinez and Rich Rodriguez as his O coordinator or have a good passer that makes us two-dimensional.

When we played defenses that were great or well prepared, it wasn't difficult for them to figure out that if you stop Martinez from busting big runs, you stop Nebraska. Lowly Texas didn't give up an offensive touchdown, even lowlier aTm held us to 6, Oklahoma stopped us stone dead in the second half, and lowliest of all WASHINGTON held us to single digits.

I think the most dangerous mobile QBs are the ones who are just enough of a running threat so that the back seven have to worry about them, which opens up the passing game for them, which is why they need a good throwing arm.

Martinez is a running threat with just enough passing ability for him to pass as a QB. Carnes at least looks to be a decent to good passer with enough running ability to be respected by the back seven.

Lyons, I don't know where your rancor is coming from. Why are you getting upset?

Not getting upset. I just get tired of people twisting posts to be more than they are. Maybe that is my fault for clarity, maybe not. I think I have had enough conversations on here, and showed enough sanity for people to realize that I would not count out an athlete like Taylor.

The only point that I have made is Carnes is a very appealing prospect for people. Taylor has played like crap for baseically the last 6 or 7 times we have seen him, including the spring game. Call that what you may. But all last year there was buzz about Carnes ability. And for him to come out in a widely covered practice and outperform a one year veteran, that opens eyes. Its like a having a nice car for awhile that you still enjoy, but then some new flashy deal comes out. You test drive it and it blows you away. Raises your brows a bit.

• Fire 3

Martinez will start in the fall, barring injuries. I haven't watched the spring game yet, but I've read the post-game quotes from the coaches. Last year they were pretty clear it was a three-horse race, and everybody was hearing whispers of Martinez being the guy. This year, the post-game quotes played down the performance of Carnes, and the whispers have been that Martinez fits the new offense (which we didn't run yesterday) like a glove.

I do like how Carnes looked in the highlights, though. We need depth, we need somebody who can step in and run our offense if Martinez goes down. I get the feeling that if Cody Green were to come in again, we'd have to restructure our offense just for him, like we did last year.

Lyons, I don't know where your rancor is coming from. Why are you getting upset?

Not getting upset. I just get tired of people twisting posts to be more than they are. Maybe that is my fault for clarity, maybe not. I think I have had enough conversations on here, and showed enough sanity for people to realize that I would not count out an athlete like Taylor.

Interesting, because I felt the same way about my time here, and my posts, and yet you're calling me "holy sire" and telling me I have trouble remembering last season. I haven't done the same to you.

Carnes at least will not cause Beck to make big changes in the offense if TM goes down with an injury again, which i fully expect to happen. i think the kid can be a great backup to TM and is probably a better thrower as well, and may just take over the job by mid-season this year......we'll see, TM still has a lot to prove when it comes to making good reads and finding the open receiver.

Interesting, because I felt the same way about my time here, and my posts, and yet you're calling me "holy sire" and telling me I have trouble remembering last season. I haven't done the same to you.

I have never singled you out for not "remembering" last season. The average Husker fan on the street, if you ask them today what they thought of last season what do you think they would say? And if you asked them about the QB? Im guessing the majority would agree that Taylor is very talented. But they also will probably have a more vibrant memory of the latter half of the season, where he was hurt, made bad decisions, and everyone was sitting around the TV screaming at how bad our offense was. Would you agree? I havent twisted your posts once. You are pro taylor, as am I. But you seem to believe that because I am stating that Carnes looked real good, and like a natural quarterback, that I am forming the idea of bench Taylor. Which I have reciprocated several times that I am not instilling that idea.

At the same time, last year's offense that was "just for Taylor" was designed by a man rooted in west-coast principles being asked to design a run-heavy spread attack to fit a quarterback that he had probably never expected to use under "his" system.

Beck's roots are in the spread as opposed to the west-coast, which is why I feel better about Beck's offense. Beck is being asked to run an offense he knows well, as opposed to being asked to run an offense he doesn't.

I would argue it's more like last year we had a "just for Taylor" wildcat package of plays that had to become the entire offense in a hurry midway through fall camp. We either took that and expanded it a little, or took whatever we had installed and junked a lot of it, to hit the season running with the 'just for Taylor' offense.

This year, we take what we know from last year and craft an offense from the beginning especially for him.