Bo's new contract

I'm hearing this rumor that Carl Pelini was banging a boosters wife. TO was going to fire him but Bo would quit if done so. Tom didn't want that so he asked Bo to straighten it out, soon after Bo got his raise.

The 2009 Rumor-mill called and wants you to upgrade to the 2011 version.

D'oh !

Salary (in millions), Years as FBS coach, Highest accomplishment

5.17, Nick Saban, Alabama, 15, two national championships

5.10, Mack Brown, Texas, 26, one national championship

4.53, Bob Stoops, Oklahoma, 12, one national championship

4.00, Lane Kiffin, USC, 2, 15-11 career record

3.78, Kirk Ferentz, Iowa, 12, four top-10 seasons

3.75, Les Miles, LSU, 10, one national championship

3.65, Jim Tressel, Ohio State, 10, one national championship

3.56, Bobby Petrino, Arkansas, 7, two top-10 seasons

2.94, Jim Grobe, Wake Forest, 16, one ACC championship

2.81, Mark Richt, Georgia, 10, six top-10 seasons

2.80, Steve Spurrier, S. Carolina, 21, one national championship

2.80, Chip Kelly, Oregon, 2, BCS title game appearance

2.78, Bo Pelini, Nebraska, 3, two Big 12 title game appearances

2.75, Jimbo Fisher, Florida St., 1, one ACC title game appearance

2.75, Will Muschamp, Florida, 0,

2.55, Gary Pinkel, Missouri, 20, one top-5 season

2.50, Bret Bielema, Wisconsin, 5, two top-10 seasons

2.50, Houston Nutt, Mississippi, 14, two SEC title game appearances

2.44, Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech, 9, one ACC championship

2.30, Jeff Tedford, California, 9, one top-10 season

OWH LINK

I'd say Bo is fairly paid, judging by the accomplishments above him.

LOL @ USC paying Lane Kiffin $4.0 million

Seriously, what has he done to get a raise? Zero championships. He has embarrassed himself on several occasions by acting like a crazy person on the sidelines. Good role model. Our national image is now an out of control coach and Larry the Cable Guy. That is a fact.

The pay is getting beyond ridiculous for coaches. It is a reflection of the overall state of affairs in the country. Overpaid executives, while everyone else struggles. How about we put all of this money in a pot, except for a very high $300,000.00 a year salary. If he wins a National Championship, he can get the pot, otherwise, he gets a very large salary. He earns the pay.

Just so you can put it into perspective, if you make $50,000.00 a year (above average), it would take you 60 years to earn his one year of pay . . . 60 years. You had better show up to press conferences, answer questions, and act like a pro for that kind of pay - he doesn't.

Before you will probably say "it's what the market decides." There is no free market at work here, this is a monopoly. There is no downside. He can continue to do what he has been doing, not winning championships and still make this money. Look at our old coach, walked out the door with millions. In a bad or good year - three million. At least for business owners, bad year, bad decisions, mean loosing everything - home, savings, etc. Worst case he he goes back to NFL as an assistant.

I'd rather see them pay the players than this kind of money to coaches . . . or at least tie it all to results.

I'd rather see them pay the players than this kind of money to coaches . . . or at least tie it all to results.

They already do this in the SEC. Well, sometimes they pay the dad instead of the player.

Lots of Harvey Perlman quotes in this article concerning Bo's new contract.

LINCOLN — Miami's reported flirtation with Bo Pelini in December sent a shock wave through the Husker football fan base.

It's clear now that NU fans weren't the only ones shaken at the time. And apparently Miami wasn't the only school with an eye on hiring Pelini away from Nebraska.

On Monday, when asked if fear of other schools' calls prompted negotiations on the contract that bumps Pelini's salary to $2.775 million in 2011, NU Chancellor Harvey Perlman had this response: “I know it did.”

Continue Reading

Tom has said they did this to keep the wolves at bay and also stated three colleges were interested but would not name them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/04/25/nebraska-pelini.ap/index.html

We know Miami was one and who were the others ?

I don't know...Michigan, maybe? I know Bo is an OSU guy and everything, but as almost everyone probably already knows, Schembechler was a native Ohio son.

I would rather have Bo Pelini than Brady Hoke.

Tom has said they did this to keep the wolves at bay and also stated three colleges were interested but would not name them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/04/25/nebraska-pelini.ap/index.html

We know Miami was one and who were the others ?

I don't know...Michigan, maybe? I know Bo is an OSU guy and everything, but as almost everyone probably already knows, Schembechler was a native Ohio son.

I would rather have Bo Pelini than Brady Hoke.

Me too. But I like what I've seen of Brady Hoke so far. It'll take a year or two so see if Hoke is going to catch on at Michigan. If Brady Hoke flops like Rodriguez it might take the Vulvarines a few years to recover.