Instant offense? Just add a pistol

If Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck employs the Pistol formation next fall as much as he did in NU's spring game, he'll find an avid supporter in Colin Kaepernick.

He's admittedly biased. In four years as quarterback at Nevada — where coach Chris Ault invented the sawed-off shotgun formation — Kaepernick ran nearly every play out of the Pistol. He became the first collegiate player to throw for 10,000 yards and rush for 4,000 in a career.

Continue Reading

The talk is always about the scheme, but I don't think that is the answer. There is no 'instant offense' scheme that you can employ and out-trick your foes. I think it's just what football boils down to: there's an inordinate amount of pressure and weight on the shoulders of the quarterback. Not for nothing is it the most glamorous position in football. I know some might disagree, but in my opinion it's tougher to win without a good one, and I mean good not in the physical abilities or even pure skills, but good in all the intangibles.

Colin has this reputation as an absolute film rat and thirsty student of the game. At least according to the guys Peter King spoke with. Of course this can be wrong or it might not translate to the NFL, but it's probably a fairly accurate description of the guy in college. I think that drive to consume every last aspect of the game of football, is what pushed Colin to the heights he eventually achieved with Nevada - although his physicality & skills didn't hurt.

It's what pushed guys like Zac Taylor to the top, in my opinion, and probably (just guessing now) why Lee never quite made it there, despite him looking much better on paper as a prospect.

So I'm always looking for the next Zac Taylor (in mind, not in footspeed ;)) type guy on the roster, the next complete football junkie, at the QB spot. Do we have him on the roster right now? ... I'm not sure we do really. At least I don't see it out of the top three guys yet, but they are young and we have a lot more to find out about them.

If Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck employs the Pistol formation next fall as much as he did in NU's spring game, he'll find an avid supporter in Colin Kaepernick.

He's admittedly biased. In four years as quarterback at Nevada — where coach Chris Ault invented the sawed-off shotgun formation — Kaepernick ran nearly every play out of the Pistol. He became the first collegiate player to throw for 10,000 yards and rush for 4,000 in a career.

Continue Reading

HA! To even SUGGEST a comparison of Kaepernick to Martinez is ludicrous! HOW MANY AWARDS DID KAEPERNICK WIN AS A FRESHMAN!? That's what I thought! Plus, we don't need no pistol (That's not what we ran under TO!!)... All we need is T-Magic's old high school playbook and as soon as we have that, EVERYONE in the Big Ten is toast!!!!!!!!!

Nah, I'm just kidding.