Munson's Thoughts: Not an elite year?

Everyone remembers Ndamukong Suh, especially Jared Crick. The two were part of the nastiest defensive lines in Nebraska’s football history. Both had ways to just take over games back in 2009.

Case in point was the 2010 Big XII Championship against Texas for Suh. Suh amassed ten solo tackles, 12 total tackles and 4.5 sacks. The name alone still causes nausea and vomiting to Texas fans and Colt McCoy.

For Crick you have to go back to the Baylor game in Waco in 2009. While Suh deserves some credit for allowing Crick the ability to make some plays that day, his individual effort should not be over looked. Crick finished the day with 13 total tackles, seven tackles for loss and five sacks.

Immediately after Suh was drafted in the first round by the Detroit Lions, there was speculation that Crick was just as good. According to Suh, he could even be better.

That’s a tall order.

Continue reading...

Good read. Kind of shuts up those critics of his. Hopefully if Steinkuhler will live up to the expectations, Crick could get a free hand into greatness. Remember it takes two to tango.

Steinkuhler had better start living up to those expectations or he's going to find himself watching from the sidelines. We have sick talent at DT, and we're solid four-deep. This is an embarrassment of riches, this is:

1st String: Crick/Steinkuhler

2nd String: Moore/Randle

3rd String: Rome/Guy

4th String: Peat/Williams

Rankings are speculation on my part, of course, but I'm confident that any of those top six guys could come in and perform admirably this year. Those are some heavy hitters, and Baby Stein had best play like he wants the job. If he does, look for Crick and EMart/Stache to wreak havoc all year.

Good read. Kind of shuts up those critics of his. Hopefully if Steinkuhler will live up to the expectations, Crick could get a free hand into greatness. Remember it takes two to tango.

Steinkuhler had better start living up to those expectations or he's going to find himself watching from the sidelines. We have sick talent at DT, and we're solid four-deep. This is an embarrassment of riches, this is:

Rankings are speculation on my part, of course, but I'm confident that any of those top six guys could come in and perform admirably this year. Those are some heavy hitters, and Baby Stein had best play like he wants the job. If he does, look for Crick and EMart/Stache to wreak havoc all year.

Baker should flashes last year, but in other games he was no where to be found. A good season from him could help Crick out alot.

And, you are right Knapp with the young-guns at DT we have, he needs to strap it up everyday this fall. With a front four like that (assuming they all play to their potential) this years defense could mirror the 90's defenses ALOT.

Baker should flashes last year, but in other games he was no where to be found. A good season from him could help Crick out alot.

And, you are right Knapp with the young-guns at DT we have, he needs to strap it up everyday this fall. With a front four like that (assuming they all play to their potential) this years defense could mirror the 90's defenses ALOT.

And the talent isn't just on the inside. We're gonna have us a great set of DEs this year with Cam and Josh Williams/Eric Martin. The pressure from our DEs, plus our lock-down corners, should pave the way for Crick having a great year.

Andrew Perloff of SportsIllustrated has Crick going 10th in next year's draft:

10. Washington Redskins: Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska

Crick had 17 tackles for a loss and 9.5 sacks last season despite constant double-teams. His best fit in the NFL will be 3-4 end, but he could also slide over to tackle in a 4-3.

LINK

The highest Big Ten player he has listed is Iowa's Riley Reiff (OT) at #7. I don't know if Reiff and Crick will line up against each other, but it would be a hell of a battle if they did.

And the talent isn't just on the inside. We're gonna have us a great set of DEs this year with Cam and Josh Williams/Eric Martin. The pressure from our DEs, plus our lock-down corners, should pave the way for Crick having a great year.

And hopefully Ankrah, too. I'd love to see that guy make good on his promise. If he's even close to as good as recruiting buzz said he'd be, we're stacked there, too.

And hopefully Ankrah, too. I'd love to see that guy make good on his promise. If he's even close to as good as recruiting buzz said he'd be, we're stacked there, too.

Yeah, I'd like to see Ankrah do something too. I thought he was gonna be the stud of his recruiting class. But so far ... crickets.

Yeah, I'd like to see Ankrah do something too. I thought he was gonna be the stud of his recruiting class. But so far ... crickets.

I hate to bring the bad memories, but it makes me wonder how insane our D would be with Owa at one end spot.

I hate to bring the bad memories, but it makes me wonder how insane our D would be with Owa at one end spot.

He had a fine season for the Bruins. Four sacks, six starts, good overall play. As a true freshman, no less.

Frankly, though, I'm not missing him. EMart could make Odighizuwa look like a second-stringer if he can build on his Spring Game.

Crick had 17 tackles for a loss and 9.5 sacks last season despite constant double-teams. His best fit in the NFL will be 3-4 end, but he could also slide over to tackle in a 4-3.

LINK

The highest Big Ten player he has listed is Iowa's Riley Reiff (OT) at #7. I don't know if Reiff and Crick will line up against each other, but it would be a hell of a battle if they did.

Wasn't Riley Reiff committed to Nebraska for awhile? makes ya wonder if he would have stayed aboard

LINK

Wasn't Riley Reiff committed to Nebraska for awhile? makes ya wonder if he would have stayed aboard

He was committed for a couple of months, orginally recruited as a DE out of HS.