Flooding in Siouxland

As of today, the Missouri River at Sioux City/South Sioux City is at 28 feet. Flood stage is 30 feet. They are predicting that we will reach flood stage by this weekend, and up to 37 feet by mid-June.

Sandbagging has already begun and people are being asked to pack all their belongings and evacuate. Dakota Dunes residents were recommended to leave on Monday I believe and they said to be prepared to be gone for two months.

Here are links for the flood maps released by the US Army Corps of Engineers:

South Sioux City

Other maps of Siouxland

So this thread is for updates from people who will be effected or who have family or friends that will be effected. What are you doing to prepare for the flood? Pictures are also welcome if you have any.

This is poor planning on South Dakotas part and now we have to suffer. They should've released water once winter was over. I'm still in Vegas and the only updates I have is from friends posting pictures on Facebook or my parents texting me.

I talked to a gentlemen here in Vegas who's wife was as attending the PA conference in Vegas and they're from Blair. The guy was pretty upset that the Dam in Yankton wasn't releasing water earlier in the year and said that this is piss poor planning on Yanktons part. Now he and his wife had to leave Vegas to attend to his business back in Blair/Omaha and gather their belongings before the flood destroys it.

I believe a few years ago the Yankton Dam refused to release more water when the river was low. It was so low that you couldn't dock your boat on the South Sioux side so you had to go to the Sioux City's dock

This is poor planning on South Dakotas part and now we have to suffer. They should've released water once winter was over. I'm still in Vegas and the only updates I have is from friends posting pictures on Facebook or my parents texting me.

I talked to a gentlemen here in Vegas who's wife was as attending the PA conference in Vegas and they're from Blair. The guy was pretty upset that the Dam in Yankton wasn't releasing water earlier in the year and said that this is piss poor planning on Yanktons part. Now he and his wife had to leave Vegas to attend to his business back in Blair/Omaha and gather their belongings before the flood destroys it.

I believe a few years ago the Yankton Dam refused to release more water when the river was low. It was so low that you couldn't dock your boat on the South Sioux side so you had to go to the Sioux City's dock

Yeah it is poor planning. I have also heard that the dam in Montana or North Dakota could reach its limit and overflow or burst, and then the flooding will be much more widespread and devastating.

I'm in South Sioux but no where near the low level flood stage. I will be clearing out the basement, putting in sewer stoppers, and sump pumps. The ground water and sewage backing up is my biggest concern.

I'm in the same boat as you.

Let me first say that this is will be a flood that will affect us for years to come, it is truly a scary situation. Should be good down in Sloan, we are just to expect higher than normal ground water, which is what we see every year in the summer <_< The only thing to do is hope for the best and expect the worst. This will be a long hard summer for everyone that lives along the river.

To SSC guys- I did hear today that they do not expect the flooding to reach past the bypass on the west side of town, but NW corner of town is in bad shape.

We were sandbagging our equipment in the Wynstone area today and have never seen anything like the scene that is in the Dunes area right now.

Let me first say that this is will be a flood that will affect us for years to come, it is truly a scary situation. Should be good down in Sloan, we are just to expect higher than normal ground water, which is what we see every year in the summer <_< The only thing to do is hope for the best and expect the worst. This will be a long hard summer for everyone that lives along the river.

To SSC guys- I did hear today that they do not expect the flooding to reach past the bypass on the west side of town, but NW corner of town is in bad shape.

We were sandbagging our equipment in the Wynstone area today and have never seen anything like the scene that is in the Dunes area right now.

Yeah part of the Covington golf course is already under, and I know quite a few people that live that area that will be affected. It also looks like Wal-Mart and Hy-Vee could be affected too.

If anyone has questions on sump pumps let me know, just check them often to make sure they are doing their job. Also just be aware that even if you have sump pits in your basement it is possible the hydrostatic pressure will force water up cracks in the floor or near the foundation before being drained to the pit as I found out last summer with the big rains we had here. The only good thing about this whole mess is that we got plenty of time to prepare for this disaster heading our way.

For those of you in Sioux City, will it affect the Saturday in the Park show at a place called the Grandview Park?

And by affect, I mean is the park in a place that will be hit by heavy flood waters in early July? I'm asking, selfishly, because my favorite musician (Ben Harper) will be playing there in early July.