2012 Presidential Campaign - Obama vs. Romney

I will say in response to some of the discussion on Paul, I don't see any conflict between his being against abortion and also not supporting a law prohibiting abortion. Actually that sums up my position on it pretty well. Personally I am against it and I don't want to see it be encouraged but I also don't think it is an issue that should be prohibited or supported by our government. I could support making abortion illegal or allowable in certain situations but I am convinced our government and judicial systems are incapable of managing the nuances to any reasonable level of acceptability.

The abortion flip-flop is just one of literally dozens of positions Paul has taken over the years which at times contradict each other, or which are completely untenable. Ron Paul owes his popularity to the fact that the average American simply doesn't dig elbows-deep into the facts surrounding the candidates they support.

Sometimes you make it seem that Americans did that previously in elections that Americans dig deep on facts about candidates. If anything we know more due to the internet alone and so many people using it.

I have not made that assertion. Not sure where you're coming up with that.

It just comes off that way that in earlier times in America people were more informed then than now.

Well Politics and political support should never be mixed with anything religious.

I'm taking my precedent from Jesus who would have never voted for any candidate had he lived in a democratic society...nor would he throw his 'approval' behind any king other than God.

So, why do people incessantly continue to support individual men/women and mix politics and religion together?

If you're talking about this forum, it's just designed as a big bucket to put the most controversial topics of our time into.

If you're talking about politics in general, it's really hard to separate the person from the belief system, so religion (or lack of religion) will always have a role in politics. I think that's inevitable.

If you're talking about politics in general, it's really hard to separate the person from the belief system, so religion (or lack of religion) will always have a role in politics. I think that's inevitable.

Well, I know if you're a Christian...there are plenty of Scriptural examples that prove we shouldn't mix the two. I just follow Jesus' example on it.

Do you? Don't you vote based on your moral convictions, and aren't those convictions a product of your religious beliefs?

Further, wouldn't you be more likely to vote for a candidate who openly espouses beliefs compatible with those of your religion, rather than for a candidate who openly espouses beliefs contrary to your religion?

It just comes off that way that in earlier times in America people were more informed then than now.

I don't think so.

Projection?

I just think that there is a tendency to imagine some rosy past and to believe that it has been a steady decline from that ideal.

Ask someone about our founding era or the 1950s for common examples.

I don't think so.

Projection?

I just think that there is a tendency to imagine some rosy past and to believe that it ha been a steady decline from that ideal.

Ask someone about our founding era or the 1950s for common examples.

No it just seemed to me from Knapplc that somehow Americans cared more about politics back then than they do now and made better decisions even though they had less ways of obtaining that information.

No it just seemed to me from Knapplc that somehow Americans cared more about politics back then than they do now and made better decisions even though they had less ways of obtaining that information.

This is a great example to you of how you are prone to project your feelings on someone's post. You should work on that.

This is a great example to you of how you are prone to project your feelings on someone's post. You should work on that.

well you constantly say that Americans aren't informed now so leads me to believe that at some point they were even though that is less likely.

Show me where I put some temporal connection to the knowledge of Americans, please.

When you cannot do that, it should show you that this is something you dreamed up, not something I ever asserted. You can stop this nonsense any time.

Do you know what seem means? obviously you don't.

Show me where I put some temporal connection to the knowledge of Americans, please.

When you cannot do that, it should show you that this is something you dreamed up, not something I ever asserted. You can stop this nonsense any time.

Do you know what seem means? obviously you don't.

I simply asked you what your basis for making that statement was. I'll take it from your answer that you cannot show why it SEEMS that I said that. Especially when I clearly did not.

Sorry to jump in on the 'were Americans more informed back then' discussion, but it's an interesting one.

I think people worry too much about politics in our current culture, and a lot of this is fed by our extremely polarized and mostly useless media. People think in hysterics because most information is portrayed to us with a tone of hysteria. Why do you think every single damned election in the last fifty years has unequivocally been dubbed "the most important of our lifetimes," including this one. The fact is this isn't the most important election of our lifetimes, and it's probably not even close. Our nation has survived a revolutionary war, slavery, a civil war, a Great Depression (which makes our current problems seem cute by comparison), two world wars, womens lib, civil rights, and countless economic setbacks, bumps, bad breaks, and long days.

I think at times we lack perspective. Most people forget that Rod Serling was cracking jokes about the national debt in the original Twilight Zone.

America is still the dominate world power and by a mile. We are still living in the very best moment in history. If there were any other time I could choose to live, it would be ten years from now, when things are going to be even better. We've got problems, sure, but then so did every other generation of Americans, and every other generation of world citizens, since our distant ancestors decided to flee Africa due to a climate crisis.

Whether Obama gets reelected or Romney wins, time marches on, and so does progress. It's pretty well unstoppable at this point, provided nobody does anything stupid like ignite a global nuclear war.

This seems a little incoherent, but whatever. Anyone cleaning out their pants over what's going to happen this November, deep breaths. We're good.

• Fire 3

Sorry to jump in on the 'were Americans more informed back then' discussion, but it's an interesting one.

I think people worry too much about politics in our current culture, and a lot of this is fed by our extremely polarized and mostly useless media. People think in hysterics because most information is portrayed to us with a tone of hysteria. Why do you think every single damned election in the last fifty years has unequivocally been dubbed "the most important of our lifetimes," including this one. The fact is this isn't the most important election of our lifetimes, and it's probably not even close. Our nation has survived a revolutionary war, slavery, a civil war, a Great Depression (which makes our current problems seem cute by comparison), two world wars, womens lib, civil rights, and countless economic setbacks, bumps, bad breaks, and long days.

I think at times we lack perspective. Most people forget that Rod Serling was cracking jokes about the national debt in the original Twilight Zone.

America is still the dominate world power and by a mile. We are still living in the very best moment in history. If there were any other time I could choose to live, it would be ten years from now, when things are going to be even better. We've got problems, sure, but then so did every other generation of Americans, and every other generation of world citizens, since our distant ancestors decided to flee Africa due to a climate crisis.

Whether Obama gets reelected or Romney wins, time marches on, and so does progress. It's pretty well unstoppable at this point, provided nobody does anything stupid like ignite a global nuclear war.

This seems a little incoherent, but whatever. Anyone cleaning out their pants over what's going to happen this November, deep breaths. We're good.

Hear, hear.