Sad Day at Penn University!

Man I hate reading about this. Such a promising future!

PHILADELPHIA -- Two days after one of the best games of his career, Penn running back Kyle Ambrogi committed suicide, the university and police said.

The 21-year-old senior, who died at his suburban Havertown home Monday, had been battling depression, the Daily News reported Wednesday, quoting the player's family.

"I knew my brother had been having some problems," Ambrogi's brother, Greg, a sophomore defensive back on the team, told the paper. "I thought he was getting better. I can't believe it happened. I can't cry yet."

Haverford Township police chief Gary Hoover told The Associated Press that Ambrogi's gunshot death wasn't being investigated as a criminal matter.

Quakers coach Al Bagnoli called the player "one of our shining lights."

"Kyle was a remarkable young man, a true scholar-athlete, an ambassador for Penn, a tremendous teammate and leader on and off the field, as well as a caring and outstanding brother," he said. "His loss will be felt for a long time. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this time."

The brothers had a big day Saturday in Penn's 53-7 rout of Bucknell. Kyle, a backup, carried five times for 18 yards and two third-quarter touchdowns. Greg scored a touchdown after recovering a fumbled snap in the second quarter.

"Afterward that's all everybody was talking about," Greg said. "How great it was that we, as brothers, got to score in the same game and did so on different sides of the ball. It was awesome."

Donna Ambrogi, the brothers' mother, said she was proud of Kyle not only for his accomplishments but for how he mentored Greg.

"He was the perfect son," she said.

Very sad story. Just feel so bad for people that feel they have no other option except this, b/c they must be in such a dark place. I know its not easy, but the thing people just have to remember is even if it doesnt seem possible at the time, things will get better, and a permanent solution is never the answer to a temporary problem. Think about how bad it will hurt the people who care about you, and always remember there are more people than you even realize who do. My deepest sympathies to his family & friends.

Yes very true. Ive even heard some say that they dont feel as bad for people that kill themselvs. This is utter rubbish to me. Like you guys said for someone to go to this extreme I cant even imagine the pain they were in. To me its almost MORE sad when people go out like this, b/c you know there was much suffering prior to it. Sad sad story. Thoughts & Prayers.