Collegefootballnews.com Big 10 Preview 2011

Big Ten Preview: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1090316.html

Schedules and Picks: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1090308.html

Legends (Us) Breakdown: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1090309.html

Leaders Breakdown: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1090311.html

Edit: 1k posts. yay me.

Interesting but I don't see us losing at all!

I’m glad you have confidence in your team but I don’t see anyone going UNDEFETED in the B1G this year. When was the last time you guys went undefeted?

Why is that? Would a team go undefeated if they had not cheated and broke so many rules? The last time we went undefeated is when we wanted to play a certain big10 team, but they were playing a patsy in the rose bowl instead. :)

I thought this was about Nebraska and not tOSU?? We were loaded last year and still lost a game before our season was vacated.

When was the last time you went undefeated again??

Nebraska will win a lot of games this year, but they will not go the entire season without a loss.

You are probably right. You made it seem like going undefeated in the big10 was not possible for Nebraska even though Ohio State has accomplished that feat. It just came off as being elitist. That's all. Wisconsin could go undefeated, or Iowa. Who knows.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, I’m just stating I don’t think anyone will do it this year. I could easily see Nebraska, Ohio State & Wisconsin all beating each other. I wasn’t trying to be elitist.

Nebraska @ Wisconsin = Wisconsin

Ohio State @ Nebraska = Nebraska

Wisconsin @ Ohio State = Ohio State

I think these three teams are the ones to beat and will remain that way until Penn State & Michigan can become competitive again. Until then we'll just have to beat up on each other.

Regardless if Ohio St. guys were selling crap or not, they are still in the midist of a great run. They have a chip on their shoulder with a ton of great athletes. This guy has every right to feel his team can compete and even go undefeated.

As regards athletes... I would have to think that the overall size/speed/football skill of the OSU squad is at least one level... if not two levels above that for the Huskers. They have a talent-base on that team that is likely among the top 5 most talented teams in the nation. The Huskers do not have top 15 talent (though are likely pretty close to top 15).

Anyone thinking that OSU is anything less than a major, major hurdle to get through is fooling themselves. OSU will be favored over the Huskers.. and justifiably so. They have talent the likes of which the Huskers can in no way contend with. To beat them we have to out-coach them, out-gameplan them and play with greater heart and intensity than them (and likely will need a break or two as well)... on talent alone, we do not match up.. at all.

I love the Huskers as much as anyone... but be real folks --- OSU has way, way more talent than we do --- perhaps OSU is a distracted team with issues off the field.. but their talent is very, very high. Actually, if they play with a chip on their shoulders and focus in view of their "adversity" --- then look out --- OSU could be better than usual. Of course, they may implode in view of the pressures. Who knows? But again, talent alone makes them the favorites in the conference. And clear favorites over us.

As regards athletes... I would have to think that the overall size/speed/football skill of the OSU squad is at least one level... if not two levels above that for the Huskers. They have a talent-base on that team that is likely among the top 5 most talented teams in the nation. The Huskers do not have top 15 talent (though are likely pretty close to top 15).

Anyone thinking that OSU is anything less than a major, major hurdle to get through is fooling themselves. OSU will be favored over the Huskers.. and justifiably so. They have talent the likes of which the Huskers can in no way contend with. To beat them we have to out-coach them, out-gameplan them and play with greater heart and intensity than them (and likely will need a break or two as well)... on talent alone, we do not match up.. at all.

I love the Huskers as much as anyone... but be real folks --- OSU has way, way more talent than we do --- perhaps OSU is a distracted team with issues off the field.. but their talent is very, very high. Actually, if they play with a chip on their shoulders and focus in view of their "adversity" --- then look out --- OSU could be better than usual. Of course, they may implode in view of the pressures. Who knows? But again, talent alone makes them the favorites in the conference. And clear favorites over us.

I think you're on crack. I cannot fathom that you honestly believe OSU is that damn good. OSU may be one-two levels better on O over the past 3 years (not this year) but no way on D. Our D has played in a league that puts scoring points as a priority, and yet, NU finished with a top 10 D the last 2 years (#1 in '09). It's easy to be good on defense when all the offenses you're playing aren't very good. Case in point? The bowls.

NU is already favored to beat OSU by vegas (was -7 last I saw). In fact, we're favord in every game but Wisconsin (-2.5) Here's a vegas insider preview for the Big Ten: http://www.vegasinsider.com/by-the-book/story.cfm/story/1159598

We killed 2 1st round NFL draft pick QB's last year. It wasn't pretty. And the fact is, OSU is more than likely starting a freshman (not redshirt, just freshman) QB. Look at the Pelini QB graveyard, it ain't pretty. Expect Braxton Miller to be added to that list this year, if he starts.

I think it will be a close game, because OSU has talent on D (though they only return 4). But come the frick on. There is no way in hell they come in and drop a 40 point bomb on us, and shut us out. Because that's the argument you're making, that NU shouldn't even be on the field with them.

• Fire 2

This is ridiculous...

Last 4 years recruiting rankings by ESPN Scouts Inc.-

tOSU-9.5

Oklahoma-8.75

So, Oklahoma has more talent and a better coaching staff yet we have no chance against Ohio State but went 1-1 against OU the last two years???

Help me understand this rationale...

This is ridiculous...

tOSU-9.5

Oklahoma-8.75

So, Oklahoma has more talent and a better coaching staff yet we have no chance against Ohio State but went 1-1 against OU the last two years???

It's buying into the big 10's "we're a much stronger conference" propaganda. It's dumb. They are stronger as far as leadership, tradition, exposure, etc, but not really on the football field. The top four conferences are all pretty even most years.

These teams all fight for the same recruits, its not like there is some different breed of kid that goes to the SEC or big 10, and the big 12 held their own to the point that they probably were the second strongest football conference behind the SEC over the last 15 years.

There is absolutely no team on Nebraska's schedule this year they cant beat.

I think you're on crack. I cannot fathom that you honestly believe OSU is that damn good. OSU may be one-two levels better on O over the past 3 years (not this year) but no way on D. Our D has played in a league that puts scoring points as a priority, and yet, NU finished with a top 10 D the last 2 years (#1 in '09). It's easy to be good on defense when all the offenses you're playing aren't very good. Case in point? The bowls.

NU is already favored to beat OSU by vegas (was -7 last I saw). In fact, we're favord in every game but Wisconsin (-2.5) Here's a vegas insider preview for the Big Ten: http://www.vegasinsider.com/by-the-book/story.cfm/story/1159598

We killed 2 1st round NFL draft pick QB's last year. It wasn't pretty. And the fact is, OSU is more than likely starting a freshman (not redshirt, just freshman) QB. Look at the Pelini QB graveyard, it ain't pretty. Expect Braxton Miller to be added to that list this year, if he starts.

I think it will be a close game, because OSU has talent on D (though they only return 4). But come the frick on. There is no way in hell they come in and drop a 40 point bomb on us, and shut us out. Because that's the argument you're making, that NU shouldn't even be on the field with them.

You extrapolate a great deal from someones post --- certainly I did not even imply that they would score 40 points and shut us out! Where did that come from?!! I said, directly, that their beating us would not be a surprise --- and our beating them would also not be a surprise --- that two-fold assertion in my post certainly can only rationally be interpreted as saying that the two teams are fairly comparable. Yes they have more talent --- by a large margin on offense and by a small amount on defense (or, perhaps comparable talent on D). We have what is, seemingly, the best coaching on D of anyone in the country and get more out of our talent there than anyone else... including OSU. So... on talent alone, OSU should be well favored.. but we have Bo & company coaching up our D and they have off-the-field issues (that I also point out) -- so who knows... as I said before and I'll say again --- we could quite well win that one --- or lose it. Either way would not be surprising. You somehow read that "we do not belong on the same field with OSU" in my post --- seems odd given that I stated that a win or loss either way would be no surprise.

Some suggest that OSU will not be a major obstacle... that is not rational. Some suggest that we will roll through all of our seven major opponents. Also not rational.

I am simply stating that we have 7 teams that could conceivably beat us --- and it would not be an upset overly if any one of them did in any given game --- and we could beat each of the seven in any given game --- and if we did it would as well not be an upset. But with seven such games, to suggest beating all seven... not likely at all. 4-3 against that group? Sure. Maybe 5-2. Not unrealistic. Better than these two records is really unlikely (as is worse than these two records).

Finally, and this was my point in the previous post --- altogether too many here are writing off OSU as a team that somehow will be not so tough an obstacle to surmount --- and I say that they will be tough --- they have an enormous amount of talent --- more than anyone in the conference... including us. That does not mean they are invincible and that we cannot play with them... but it does mean that they are a beast and unless we play exceeding well we will have trouble.

For all those thinking NU can go undefeated, watch the bowl game last year. Be humble my fellow Huskers... our favorite team is getting the hype because they are new to the conference and it sells magazines and stirs people up --- but on the field, NU --- even under Bo --- has done nothing, absolutely nothing to warrant undefeated talk this season. OSU, Wisconsin and Michigan State have all had much more recent success nationally than us... give credit where credit where credit is due... NU has everything to prove --- for we have as of yet proven nothing....except that are fans are delusional!

• Fire 2

This is ridiculous...

tOSU-9.5

Oklahoma-8.75

I never said we had no chance. I said if they beat us it would not be an upset and if we beat them it would not be an upset. That should make it clear that the two teams are deemed by me as being pretty comparable --- they have more talent, yes... but that game could go either way. I stated that if it went our way it would be because we out-coached them and out-hearted them ... and that such would be necessary for us to win (and a break or two would be helpful too). I did say they have more talent.. and indeed they do. Talent alone is not determinative.. but is a major factor. Fear and respect OSU (as they should fear and respect us)... they are a really, really tough opponent... as are we. That should be clear from my post.

We have seven tough opponents --- no way we beat them all.

This is ridiculous...

tOSU-9.5

Oklahoma-8.75

It's buying into the big 10's "we're a much stronger conference" propaganda. It's dumb. They are stronger as far as leadership, tradition, exposure, etc, but not really on the football field. The top four conferences are all pretty even most years.

These teams all fight for the same recruits, its not like there is some different breed of kid that goes to the SEC or big 10, and the big 12 held their own to the point that they probably were the second strongest football conference behind the SEC over the last 15 years.

There is absolutely no team on Nebraska's schedule this year they cant beat.

I agree entirely with your post.

The B10 is no better than the B12... just different. My reason for predicting that the Huskers will have a 3 loss or, perhaps, a 4 loss season is NOT a function of my thinking that the B10 is so good. It stems from NU having 3-4 losses each season in the B12 over the past few years --- NU was not a consistent threat for the B12 title in recent years --- we have been, even under Bo --- no better that 3rd or 4th in the conference. I see no reason to think it will be otherwise in the B10. It might be slightly better I suppose... as I assume we are improving (but is there any real objective evidence that we are improving that much?). In the B12, NU has not gone undefeated --- or with one loss --- or with only 2 losses --- in the past few seasons. So... on what basis should we predict that they will light up the B10?

I also agree that there is nobody on the schedule that we cannot beat. That is spot on. But it is half the picture. There are 7 teams on our schedule that could reasonably well beat us. All seven will not beat us. We will not beat all seven. 4-3 or 5-2 (maybe 3-4). time will tell.

what if we score more points than all of them, would that work? i mean, I know they have more tallent than we could EVER contend with, but if we (by some slim margin as you say) happen to score more points than OSU, do you think they'd allow us to win? that would be really swell of them.

The B10 is no better than the B12... just different. My reason for predicting that the Huskers will have a 3 loss or, perhaps, a 4 loss season is NOT a function of my thinking that the B10 is so good. It stems from NU having 3-4 losses each season in the B12 over the past few years --- NU was not a consistent threat for the B12 title in recent years --- we have been, even under Bo --- no better that 3rd or 4th in the conference. I see no reason to think it will be otherwise in the B10. It might be slightly better I suppose... as I assume we are improving (but is there any real objective evidence that we are improving that much?). In the B12, NU has not gone undefeated --- or with one loss --- or with only 2 losses --- in the past few seasons. So... on what basis should we predict that they will light up the B10?

I also agree that there is nobody on the schedule that we cannot beat. That is spot on. But it is half the picture. There are 7 teams on our schedule that could reasonably well beat us. All seven will not beat us. We will not beat all seven. 4-3 or 5-2 (maybe 3-4). time will tell.

We lost 2 conference games each of the last 2 years. 2 we shat down our leg, 1 was a gigantic screw job. Only the 2009 TT game were we beaten because the other team outplayed us.

I never said we had no chance. I said if they beat us it would not be an upset and if we beat them it would not be an upset. That should make it clear that the two teams are deemed by me as being pretty comparable --- they have more talent, yes... but that game could go either way. I stated that if it went our way it would be because we out-coached them and out-hearted them ... and that such would be necessary for us to win (and a break or two would be helpful too). I did say they have more talent.. and indeed they do. Talent alone is not determinative.. but is a major factor. Fear and respect OSU (as they should fear and respect us)... they are a really, really tough opponent... as are we. That should be clear from my post.

Actually, you kinda did.

I don't really think the talent gap between tOSU and NU is as far apart as some think...Last time I checked Crick, David and Dennard might just be the best players at there positions in the country!! I think it’s more of a wash than anything. Now if I was an Indiana fan I'd probably agree we are overmatched...but not NU

I'd be very surprised if you lost to Michigan. They just don't play defense, their guys aren't physical. We ran the ball on them last year on something like 35 straight plays in the 2nd half of our game last fall. Didn't come close to forcing a punt or stopping a drive. I wish we had them again this year.

In my opinion, there is a chance that we could lose any of the games on our schedule. There is also a chance that we could win any of the games on our schedule. If we prepare the way we are taught, work as hard as we can, show devotion to ourselves and to our teammates, then the talent and abilities of the players on our rosters has a very good chance to outshine the talent on other rosters. Thank God we play the games. It makes Saturdays so much more fun. I couldn't imagine if all we had was this preseason bull crap to read.

Some of the quotes here lately are hilarious. Robsker from above, not to single you out but you sound like a lot of folks I hear........ "Michigan State, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Washington, and Iowa as regular season foes... it is easy to see us losing to any one of these teams (it would not be a surprise at all). It is also easy to see us beat any of these teams... again that would be no surprise." I mean, isn't that pretty much a Captain Obvious quote of the year. So your saying you wouldn't be surprised if we won or lost half of our schedule? Ummmmm......no kidding? Isn't that kind of the way football works? Two teams line up, and one of them loses in the end of the 60 minute game? I think they designed it to where if there's a tie, there is a thing called overtime to determine the winner even yet.

I know I'm being a smartass, but folks need to lower their expectations and let the damn season play out. Watch the games, have a blast, have a beer, have some friends, just have a good time. It's football season. What the hell would we do without it? Win or lose, you know your gonna watch, and if you don't root the boys on even in losing fashion, then your fanhood is revoked in my opinion. So if we go 9-3 so what? What the hell is wrong with that? Not too bad if you ask me. Of course, we'll have the same band of rednecks that ran around calling for Solich's head calling for Martinez to be benched, Bo to be fired, or Beck to be banished. It makes me laugh, but also gets old.