No Respect

In his column on usatoday.com, Erick Smith made a comment about Texas Tech being untested. Excuse, but the Red Raiders didn't exactly walk over Nebraska.

Obviously Nebraska is down, but I'm amazed at the total lack of respect by the media. Other programs have been down over the past several years, but it seems to me that few have lost all respect like Nebraska.

Does NU get disrespected more than any other college football team, IMO yes.

However, I think that this has to do with 2 things:

1) There are a number of questions that these 2 teams (NU/Tech) have not answered.

2) Both team's resepctive competition have not been top notch.

Bottom line, if both NU and Tech continue to win and end the season with 10-2, 11-1, 11-2 records, they will have earned their respect. BTW, respect earned is much more satisfying than respect granted :thumbs

Apparently the national media only cares about wins and losses. It's almost as if battling from 21 down and taking the lead late in the 4th means nothing. Shouldn't this factor into the voting process? It's not like we were playing a cupcake 1-AA team. This was the 15th ranked team in the nation. Not to mention they blew us out last year and were on pace to do it again. I know we probably shouldn't move up in the rankings after a loss but the fact that we dropped and Tech moved up just doesn't seem right to me.

1) There are a number of questions that these 2 teams (NU/Tech) have not answered.

Bottom line, if both NU and Tech continue to win and end the season with 10-2, 11-1, 11-2 records, they will have earned their respect. BTW, respect earned is much more satisfying than respect granted :thumbs

Floks, I'm not sure what you expect, the team was 5-6 without much coming back, we have got to earn it. If we beat Tech, were ranked, we lost were not ranked...that simple.

Floks, I'm not sure what you expect, the team was 5-6 without much coming back, we have got to earn it. If we beat Tech, were ranked, we lost were not ranked...that simple.

Gotta agree, the world is pretty happy were down for being up for so long. Just gottaa keep plugging away.

Spot on Eric, we have accomplished nothing at this time. Our only game that could have moved us up was lost. All that matters is wins and losses to the media. Not how you played. We win we will get the respect. I think a lot of us look for respect that in honesty we are very short on giving anyone else when they show improvement.

Allow me if I can to offer some perspective from a program who has/is going through the same thing.

'Disrepect' is not something like saying 'Tech hasnt been tested yet'

In terms of bigtime college football, they havent. its that simple.

You guys had a losing record last year....same as PSU. We sucked.

The world is not happy when you are down. The world just doesnt care.

I would always hear PSU fans say after a win over Indiana or Akron say, 'why arent we on Sportscenter?' Are 3-8 teams generally on sportscenter?

Granted if you see articles that say, AHAHHAH Nebraska loses again...then ok, maybe some people like that youre down.

As soon as you start putting wins together against ranked opponents, those same 'haters' will be throwing flowers at you.

Look to Happy Valley for verification. The same journalists who would call Paterno senile, over, and in need of retirement are now writing things like, innovator, resiliant, and rose bowl. The media is a whore.

When losing, you just have to deal with it.