Interesting First Practice Tidbits

Anyone who actually thought Bubba was gonna suit up was nuts. This was not a suprise.

Jamal Turner taking snaps at QB was a little, but not much of a suprise. Bo still says it is WR first for Jamal.

Notable no shows on the 105 roster include Collins Okafor, Marcus Mendoza, Lester Ward and Lazarri Middleton. Suprising? Somewhat. Obviously these guys didn't show much this spring.

Were the no shows due to injury?

No. Marcel Jones and Given Mordi Price are the only ones out with injury. Saying don't expect the young Price back during August camp. We all knew a redshirt was in store for the kid. What he turns 17 this month I believe.

Back to the non 105 guys. Some of it maybe writing on the wall. Many chances to prove their worth had been had, and yet nothing has been shown. This is the case with Collins I am pretty sure. With the three guys coming in you knew some room was going to be made.

Middleton has been in Bo's doghouse before. Ward is the intruiging one to me. Moving to TE was the best chance the kid was gonna see the field. And with the thin depth there I figured he may get a look this August.

Bubba won't practice until he makes his decision, which is not unexpected. If he broke an arm his first week of drills, he has no more decision. He's a lamed Husker for a year. Obviously it's almost a certainty he'll go pro, but I don't think you can look at this as the definitive proof.

I agree with X. But Bubba's gone regardless. It's a no-brainer.

I thought Middleton was supposed to be one of the more skilled CBs we had, so that's a disappointment. Any word on CJ (Charles Jackson?)

Bo was asked about CJ and he said that it's still up in the air/under evaluation. I have no friggin' clue what the deal is with the NCAA on this one, but it looks like if Jackson makes it at all this year, it'll only be to redshirt. Hopefully if he doesn't make it, he can be an early enrollee in January and get a full winter/spring/fall camp under his belt. If he can do that, I don't see what the difference is in the end. He won't be suiting up in September either way the way things are going.

Anyone who actually thought Bubba was gonna suit up was nuts. This was not a suprise.

Jamal Turner taking snaps at QB was a little, but not much of a suprise. Bo still says it is WR first for Jamal.

Notable no shows on the 105 roster include Collins Okafor, Marcus Mendoza, Lester Ward and Lazarri Middleton. Suprising? Somewhat. Obviously these guys didn't show much this spring.

Okafor, Mendoza, Ward, and Middleton are showing up on the 2011 rosters on both Huskers.com and Huskermax.com. Wheres this 105 roster that you're looking at? Am I missing something here lol???

Also I noticed that Curenski Gilleylen is listed at IB instead of WR. Does this surprise me? Yes and No. Yes mainly because he's been with the WR's for years and knows the routes plus his speed but No because he's had horrible hands and his speed could help us in the depth with the running backs.

Okafor, Mendoza, Ward, and Middleton are showing up on the 2011 rosters on both Huskers.com and Huskermax.com. Wheres this 105 roster that you're looking at? Am I missing something here lol???

Also I noticed that Curenski Gilleylen is listed at IB instead of WR. Does this surprise me? Yes and No. Yes mainly because he's been with the WR's for years and knows the routes plus his speed but No because he's had horrible hands and his speed could help us in the depth with the running backs.

This has also been verified by Brian Rosenthal of the LJS

Posted by: Brian Rosenthal on August 6, 2011 at 2:16PM CST

Other notes from Saturdays first practice:

-- Bo Pelini seemed upbeat and pleased, particularly with what he saw from the offense.

The tempo was great today, the communication was really good, Pelini said. Obviously, having the time together and installing it through the spring … I think the players did a good job of continuing their learning and getting comfortable with the offense in the summer time. They do that on their own, and I think that showed today.

-- Collins Okafor, Lester Ward, Marcus Mendoza and Lazarri Middleton are scholarship players not on the 105-man roster.

And Curenski moved in the spring

I have no friggin' clue what the deal is with the NCAA on this one

Maybe he needed a decent grade on the 2nd 5-week class and isn't getting it done. *shrug*

He got it done in the class. It is the class and the place where the class was taken that are being muddled by the NCAA. Go to his recruiting thread. The situation has been broke down very good by teachercd.

This has also been verified by Brian Rosenthal of the LJS

Posted by: Brian Rosenthal on August 6, 2011 at 2:16PM CST

Other notes from Saturday’s first practice:

-- Bo Pelini seemed upbeat and pleased, particularly with what he saw from the offense.

“The tempo was great today, the communication was really good,” Pelini said. “Obviously, having the time together and installing it through the spring … I think the players did a good job of continuing their learning and getting comfortable with the offense in the summer time. They do that on their own, and I think that showed today.”

-- Collins Okafor, Lester Ward, Marcus Mendoza and Lazarri Middleton are scholarship players not on the 105-man roster.

And Curenski moved in the spring

Damn thanks for posting that article I can't read any articles that are linked on Huskermax because my work blocks it but they don't block Facebook....retarded.

Doesn't surprise me about Okafor because didn't he leave the team last year but to join the team 2 days later or something like that? Also Mendoza has been shuffled around from position to position more than a hooker in a week LOL. Besides when you have freshman coming in like Heard, Green, and Abdullah while newcomers like Ty Kildow and Zack Taylor shined at the spring game its hard to get any reps.

I agree with X. But Bubba's gone regardless. It's a no-brainer.

I thought Middleton was supposed to be one of the more skilled CBs we had, so that's a disappointment. Any word on CJ (Charles Jackson?)

Bo was asked about CJ and he said that it's still up in the air/under evaluation. I have no friggin' clue what the deal is with the NCAA on this one, but it looks like if Jackson makes it at all this year, it'll only be to redshirt. Hopefully if he doesn't make it, he can be an early enrollee in January and get a full winter/spring/fall camp under his belt. If he can do that, I don't see what the difference is in the end. He won't be suiting up in September either way the way things are going.

If I had to guess last week I'd say January enrollee, but if they're keeping a spot for a week or so they must be a little more optimistic.