QB's in our offense

I get the feeling that it's not necessary to get the top high school qb's to run this offense. I seriously doubt that we'll ever see any true freshman, or even sophmores for that matter, running this offense effectively. I think the success of this offense relies on a QB with experience and knowledge of what the coaches want to get done. I think the way that Texas Tech brings in a senior QB just about every year is sort of what we can expect in the future. Does this make any sense to anyone or am i just thinking way to much into this?

I get the feeling that it's not necessary to get the top high school qb's to run this offense. I seriously doubt that we'll ever see any true freshman, or even sophmores for that matter, running this offense effectively. I think the success of this offense relies on a QB with experience and knowledge of what the coaches want to get done. I think the way that Texas Tech brings in a senior QB just about every year is sort of what we can expect in the future. Does this make any sense to anyone or am i just thinking way to much into this?

Well, now that I think about this, it does make sense. But one advantage of having a freshman go through the ranks is that he can gain chemistry with the team, coach, and playbook. And regardless on how good Jucos can come in and play, there will always be somewhat of a learning curve for a few games. And when you've got the likes of USC early in the season, is that what you want to set your incoming Juco up with?

I get the feeling that it's not necessary to get the top high school qb's to run this offense. I seriously doubt that we'll ever see any true freshman, or even sophmores for that matter, running this offense effectively.  I think the success of this offense relies on a QB with experience and knowledge of what the coaches want to get done. I think the way that Texas Tech brings in a senior QB just about every year is sort of what we can expect in the future. Does this make any sense to anyone or am i just thinking way to much into this?

It's to early to predict right now. The coaches are trying to just get this offense started and running like a well oiled machine, so to say we will never see a freshman playing is speculation. Look at Florida St as an example of a team who has started 2 freshman in a row (Chris Rex and forgot the name of the new QB in now)

It's amazing how one player can have such an impact on a team as the QB. Basically no matter what you do in terms of bringing in a new QB, you have a double edged sword. You can opt to do what Stoops at OU did with White and Solich did with Crouch and ride your horse to the end, or you can do what Leach has done with QB's at TT. Either way, there are pros and cons to each.

By doing what Stoops and Solich did, your younger QB never really gets a chance to get much game time experience other than some mop up duty. By doing this, you're really leaving the door open after the stud QB leaves for failure and disappointment (i.e 2002 Huskers, 2005 Sooners). By doing what Leach does, you do have an older mature QB there. However, by not having the most experience you also have the scenario where the QB will probably make at least one or two boo boo's per year. With a boo boo, you may never get that chance to play for a national championship. By only giving a QB one year to be the star, you never get to look forward to next year just simply trying to find a new guy to fill the void.

OU entered the 2005 season with a redshirt freshman who two years ago was classified as the number 1 QB in the recruiting class. I'm sure OU will be good, but they just aren't very good right now. I also realize Stoops was in a bad situation because last year he couldn't get his QB this year any playing time due to the redshirt. However, it is Stoops fault for not recruiting another QB sooner to replace White. I hope we redshirt Beck. I also hope that next year Beck gets at least 30 to maybe even 40 percent of the snaps during the game. If we're to make a run for it all, we're not going to do it this year or next year. Get them into the game, and often!