BTN & NU

I'm sure this has been asked before, but why is the "University of Nebraska" shortened to "NU"? Shouldn't it be "UN"? Just something that's puzzled me for a long time. I remember a friend had a shirt in like third grade that said "UN" and I made fun of him because Nebraska is "NU".

As an outsider, I am curious about this since it has been brought up. People make fun of the BiG or Big Ten for having 11 and now 12 teams, this circumstance would seem to parallel in logic. So I am curious, anyone know why this is the case?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but why is the "University of Nebraska" shortened to "NU"? Shouldn't it be "UN"? Just something that's puzzled me for a long time. I remember a friend had a shirt in like third grade that said "UN" and I made fun of him because Nebraska is "NU".

As an outsider, I am curious about this since it has been brought up. People make fun of the BiG or Big Ten for having 11 and now 12 teams, this circumstance would seem to parallel in logic. So I am curious, anyone know why this is the case?

I'm thinking, now I'm extremely positive so if someone can confirm please do so, but when the university first opened in 1869 in Lincoln, it was considered NU. So our athletic department also became NU. In the early 1900's, I believe, the university opened the campus in Omaha. So when trying to determine what to name it they decided on UNL for the campus in Lincoln and UNO for the campus in Omaha, but the athletic department, which I believe was separate from the university, decided to keep NU, and they have kept it ever since.