Counter-Strike Global Offensive

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/

I'll admit I am not the biggest Counter-Strike fan (the game-play is kind of slow), but it is basically the last truly awesome team fps that has come out (IMO). I still hop on source once or twice a week to mess around on death-match.

They are remaking it, and targeting the consoles as well as PC while also allowing PS3 to play cross platform with Mac, and PC. Which should be absolutely hilarious if ps3 owners don't invest in a keyboard+mouse for ps3 (and still pretty funny if they do). Supposedly they'll have their own matchmaking servers, but also allow 3rd party (just won't be rated matches by valve on 3rd party servers, but nobody will care about that if tourney play starts big again).

I'm somewhat interested to see if it can breathe new life into the game and even if it doesn't it will be hilarious ruining the illusion for console gamers that they haven't wasted the last 10 years thumb aiming aiming at each-other.

I don't think the cross-platform idea is a good idea. PC and consoles, despite their differences and passionate fan bases, have different play styles. PC will will dominate any console 9/10 times because mouse aiming is significantly more accurate than thumb-stick aiming.

I've never been a CS fan - period - but I respect the game for it's fan base and for what it's done to the gaming industry.

I don't think the cross-platform idea is a good idea. PC and consoles, despite their differences and passionate fan bases, have different play styles. PC will will dominate any console 9/10 times because mouse aiming is significantly more accurate than thumb-stick aiming.

I've never been a CS fan - period - but I respect the game for it's fan base and for what it's done to the gaming industry.

They are going to give the PS3 a mouse/keyboard option to play it. Xbox won't, so they won't be cross-platform.

They are going to give the PS3 a mouse/keyboard option to play it. Xbox won't, so they won't be cross-platform.

I guess that isn't too bad.

Still, the PS3 is a set hardware system that can't be upgraded by the average player. Computers, conversely, can often be significantly faster or slower than consoles because of graphics cards, processors, etc.

I'd hope they'd make it an option to either be queued with PS3 players or not, instead of never knowing if you're playing against a computer player or console player.

I guess that isn't too bad.

Still, the PS3 is a set hardware system that can't be upgraded by the average player. Computers, conversely, can often be significantly faster or slower than consoles because of graphics cards, processors, etc.

I'd hope they'd make it an option to either be queued with PS3 players or not, instead of never knowing if you're playing against a computer player or console player.

I agree, while PCs can find monitors that will do true 120hz, upgrade performance to pump out constant 120+fps, over-clock everything, even mice, to squeeze every extra ms of reaction time. You'll never be able to do that on a console so they'll always be at a disadvantage.

But personally I hope they don't give that option. I hope it pushes people back into true competitive FPS gaming on the PC, which consoles all but ruined because it (noobs) were too large a market for developers to ignore.

Xbox doesn't have Steamworks, so it'll never be cross platform.

CSS has a pretty steep learning curve, imo. If this is anything like that, then I couldn't imagine ever getting even a little bit good on a controller. And I'm hoping they don't add cheap sh#t like aim-assist for consolers.

CSS has a pretty steep learning curve, imo. If this is anything like that, then I couldn't imagine ever getting even a little bit good on a controller. And I'm hoping they don't add cheap sh#t like aim-assist for consolers.

I don't see why aim-assist wouldn't be there. The Call of Duty series has it. Granted, I believe COD will always have a larger fan base on console then CS ever will, but I wouldn't be surprised if the devs included it.

It's kind of weird not having it as an option on xbox, though, especially when you consider the original CS was available on the first xbox.

I agree, while PCs can find monitors that will do true 120hz, upgrade performance to pump out constant 120+fps, over-clock everything, even mice, to squeeze every extra ms of reaction time. You'll never be able to do that on a console so they'll always be at a disadvantage.

But personally I hope they don't give that option. I hope it pushes people back into true competitive FPS gaming on the PC, which consoles all but ruined because it (noobs) were too large a market for developers to ignore.

That's a fair point you make. While PC's have their share of noobs, idiots, etc., the fan base is usually much more mature, especially in popular FPS games. Kids these days know more about computers than ever, but many don't know anything about upgrades. Furthermore, parents often like to limit exposure to PC's because of the internet.

But, if a kid asks for a console that requires next to no maintenance and no internet activity, parents eat the crap up.

I don't see why aim-assist wouldn't be there. The Call of Duty series has it. Granted, I believe COD will always have a larger fan base on console then CS ever will, but I wouldn't be surprised if the devs included it.

It's kind of weird not having it as an option on xbox, though, especially when you consider the original CS was available on the first xbox.

It wouldn't surprise me either if they included it, I just think it's megalame to "assist" players using a certain type of controller.

And it shouldn't be surprising that the xbox won't have cross-platform support. They're Microsoft, with the horrid Games for Windows nonsense, and they're never going to allow Steamworks.

It wouldn't surprise me either if they included it, I just think it's megalame to "assist" players using a certain type of controller.

And it shouldn't be surprising that the xbox won't have cross-platform support. They're Microsoft, with the horrid Games for Windows nonsense, and they're never going to allow Steamworks.

Well, it's still surprising to me because they had the original CS on xbox, but I see your point because there is some truth to it.

As far as the aim-assist goes, I'm not sure what to think of it. I never really noticed the option until I bought Black Ops. I had had the game for a couple of weeks when I started checking out the forums. I saw the topic of aim-assist and I turned it off. I played atrociously and my accuracy was just god-awful. I don't know if it's because I got used to the aim-assist or not, but I tried it for a couple of days anyways. I still played poorly.

So, in my experiences, the aim-assist is almost necessary for consoles. That said, I don't know if I have played other console shooters that had it turned on as default, so I can't say for certain which I prefer.

Well, it's still surprising to me because they had the original CS on xbox, but I see your point because there is some truth to it.

As far as the aim-assist goes, I'm not sure what to think of it. I never really noticed the option until I bought Black Ops. I had had the game for a couple of weeks when I started checking out the forums. I saw the topic of aim-assist and I turned it off. I played atrociously and my accuracy was just god-awful. I don't know if it's because I got used to the aim-assist or not, but I tried it for a couple of days anyways. I still played poorly.

So, in my experiences, the aim-assist is almost necessary for consoles. That said, I don't know if I have played other console shooters that had it turned on as default, so I can't say for certain which I prefer.

A lot of console shooters have some sort of assist, its lame, and if they include it in online play its cheating the same as botting. So I'd be exceptionally surprised if they included in in CS as that game is basically the team based fps equivalent of Starcraft competitively since they'd kill off the hardcore community if they dumbed it down like that.

I imagine that is why they are doing the "matchmaking system" so you aren't out there getting absolutely murdered by pros if you are a console player. Just expect a much lower plateau as far as skill goes if you are thumb-sticking it.

I'd actually be very interested in seeing the breakdown of that data a year after release if they collect it, where console controllers vs console mouse+keyboard vs PC plateau in their system.