Howdy from Hokieland!

freefall

Hey all just wanted to drop by and say good luck this season! Would love to see you guys win the B1G in your first year, and not just because I've got a lot of tOSU fans in my family. :) Based on last night's game, you guys are gonna have your hands full with Wisky, but we'll see what happens come October.

Anyway, Let's Go Hokies and Go Big Red!

Thanks, freefall! We'll be pulling for the Hokies, too. You guys are class all the way.

Any scuttlebutt about moving to the SEC? I know your AD or somebody came out with a statement saying it wasn't happening, but so did A&M a while back. Any rumors?

True dat. I think any conference would be lucky to get VT, Beamer has built a fine program down there.

Any scuttlebutt about moving to the SEC? I know your AD or somebody came out with a statement saying it wasn't happening, but so did A&M a while back. Any rumors?

Wish I had something to report, but other than hearing that we're high on the SEC's wish-list for #14, I have no idea. Both the AD and the University President have made pro-ACC statements recently, but that's pretty much the only thing they can say, right? I don't know if they really mean that or if they are just biding their time while negotiations are going on behind the scenes.

I can tell you that the fanbase is definitely split on the issue. Some (like me) want to move no matter what, some want to stay no matter what, and some would prefer to stay as long as the conference continues to look more or less like it does now. Unlike you guys (and aTm) we don't have a TU that's working to destroy the conference, so it's not clear what the right thing to do is. Yeah, the Carolina mafia doesn't like us and probably wouldn't be sad to see us go, but all in all the ACC has been good for us. Don't get me wrong, I'd accept an SEC invite before the ink dried on the offer letter, but that's because I'm selfish and would much rather tailgate in Baton Rouge/Tuscaloosa/Gainesville/Oxford than College Park/Chestnut Hill/Winston-Salem/etc. :cheers

Wish I had something to report, but other than hearing that we're high on the SEC's wish-list for #14, I have no idea. Both the AD and the University President have made pro-ACC statements recently, but that's pretty much the only thing they can say, right? I don't know if they really mean that or if they are just biding their time while negotiations are going on behind the scenes.

I can tell you that the fanbase is definitely split on the issue. Some (like me) want to move no matter what, some want to stay no matter what, and some would prefer to stay as long as the conference continues to look more or less like it does now. Unlike you guys (and aTm) we don't have a TU that's working to destroy the conference, so it's not clear what the right thing to do is. Yeah, the Carolina mafia doesn't like us and probably wouldn't be sad to see us go, but all in all the ACC has been good for us. Don't get me wrong, I'd accept an SEC invite before the ink dried on the offer letter, but that's because I'm selfish and would much rather tailgate in Baton Rouge/Tuscaloosa/Gainesville/Oxford than College Park/Chestnut Hill/Winston-Salem/etc. :cheers

Clemson Tiger here (and Husker, of course)...

I have to disagree with you on the part I bolded. UNC is our Texas. You guys weren't around back in the 80s, but their AD at the time, who just happened to be John Swofford (current ACC commish for you Husker fans), called all the ADs of the 8 schools other than Clemson for a private meeting after the NCAA hit Clemson with probation. All but 2 (Maryland and Wake) voted to add an extra year of probation onto what the NCAA had already given us. The Maryland and Wake ADs walked out of the meeting because they didn't feel necessary to punish a member of their own conference. So now, do you think Swofford will have a meeting adding a year to his beloved Tar Heel program now that they're in trouble? Absolutely not.

Here's an article about it from the CU student newspaper: http://www.thetigernews.com/news.php?aid=6459&sid=3

On another note, looking forward to Clemson's visit to Blacksburg this year, the wife and I are contemplating the trip.