Carr,Price,Smith > Martinez

You are right, I missed the first half. BUt I didn't miss all the other games where he made completely awful throws on the run. I am not at all sold on this yet, but I would be interested in seeing those first half highlights.

But Taylor threw a 44-yard pass to Kyler Reed today, so those must be some damn good highlights.

You are right, I missed the first half. BUt I didn't miss all the other games where he made completely awful throws on the run. I am not at all sold on this yet, but I would be interested in seeing those first half highlights.

In every other game, he makes bad throws on the run and from inside the pocket.

Tonight, he clearly and inarguably looked better throwing on the run.

Taylor Martinez passing stats against Wyoming:

12/21, 157 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

This was his best game of the year throwing the ball... So people are upset tonight because...?

Why does every bit of criticism always get made into crying, whining, being drunk, or not being happy that we won?

I just don't, and heaven't for awhile now, believed he is a legit FBS qb. I was excited to hear about all the supposed progress he had made since last year. Was willing to give him and the coaches the benefit of the doubt when THEY said we'd see a different Martinez this year. I'm just not seeing it.

Some see him throwing a 50 yard bomb to Kyler Reed and enjoy the nice "big play" stat. I shake my head at the fact he underthrew a wide open receiver by 15 yards and had it been even a competent throw, Reed walks into the endzone. Good for Martinez he gets the big completion. But it was still a horrific pass.

• Fire 3

This was his best game of the year throwing the ball... So people are upset tonight because...?

Because he consistently missed WIDE OPEN receivers and and, once again, fumbled the football. The OP nailed it. I said the exact same thing this evening. Taylor is nothing more than a slot WR playing QB....sad thing is, I'd guess most slot WRs have a better mechanics. Taylor is just such a bitter-sweet player. Anytime he touches the ball, he has a chance to take it the distance, but he is a horrid passer and just as bad decision maker.

I have a bad feeling that Taylor is going to get exposed for what he is next week...

Because he consistently missed WIDE OPEN receivers and and, once again, fumbled the football. The OP nailed it. I said the exact same thing this evening. Taylor is nothing more than a slot WR playing QB....sad thing is, I'd guess most slot WRs have a better mechanics. Taylor is just such a bitter-sweet player. Anytime he touches the ball, he has a chance to take it the distance, but he is a horrid passer and just as bad decision maker.

I have a bad feeling that Taylor is going to get exposed for what he is next week...

How old are you? It's like you never watched - or understood what you were watching - when we were a run-first team in the 80s and 90s.

Martinez' skill set is nearly identical to the QBs we had for two decades, when we won nine games a year every year, and threw in about half a dozen shots at the national championship. Won a couple of those too, if you recall.

He's a college QB whose skills rest in his feet. This is not a new concept in college football.

• Fire 2

Why does every bit of criticism always get made into crying, whining, being drunk, or not being happy that we won?

I just don't, and heaven't for awhile now, believed he is a legit FBS qb. I was excited to hear about all the supposed progress he had made since last year. Was willing to give him and the coaches the benefit of the doubt when THEY said we'd see a different Martinez this year. I'm just not seeing it.

Some see him throwing a 50 yard bomb to Kyler Reed and enjoy the nice "big play" stat. I shake my head at the fact he underthrew a wide open receiver by 15 yards and had it been even a competent throw, Reed walks into the endzone. Good for Martinez he gets the big completion. But it was still a horrific pass.

I didn't accuse you of crying. I just wondered why you would start this thread when after he had his best game of the season thus far throwing the football.

This is the sense I get with these Martinez threads. I feel like EVERY single mistake he makes is highlighted, like he is watched with extremely hyper-critical eyes.

I mean, Keith Price got sacked on a 4th and 2, and he threw an interception when he had his TE open over the middle of the field - Nebraska fans would have blown up about that if Martinez had done it and it cost them a shot at the win, but we gloss over that when it's not our QB.

Denard Robinson threw 2 interceptions today against a cupcake. Nathan Scheelhaase and Illinois barely beat Western Michigan. Marquis Gray and Minnesota got smacked around by North Dakota State. Brandon Weeden and Ryan Tannehill took turns looking good and bad in their matchup today.

No QB is perfect. Watch a non-Nebraska game with as critical an eye towards their QB as you do towards Martinez, and ask yourself honestly if you'd be much more happy. There would still be missed throws and bad decisions and interceptions (unless you're watching Robert Griffin III, but that's not the point).

• Fire 1
Watch a non-Nebraska game with as critical an eye towards their QB as you do towards Martinez, and ask yourself honestly if you'd be much more happy.

People do not do this. It is all about our team, in a vacuum, compared to each individual's expectations. That's where 90% of the criticism of our team comes from on these boards.

• Fire 2

I'm more worried about our defense being further exposed next week than I am about Taylor Martinez being exposed. Tim Beck is going to have a gameplan for Wisconsin, and Wisconsin's defense is going to have to deal with an offense with far, far more speed than anyone they've seen this year and maybe last year.

Quit throwing facts like that out...."Tmart sucks"!!

Yeah, I'll take those stats week in and week out from him. (as long as he doesn't put the ball on the ground..but that's another thread all in its own)

How old are you? It's like you never watched - or understood what you were watching - when we were a run-first team in the 80s and 90s.

Martinez' skill set is nearly identical to the QBs we had for two decades, when we won nine games a year every year, and threw in about half a dozen shots at the national championship. Won a couple of those too, if you recall.

He's a college QB whose skills rest in his feet. This is not a new concept in college football.

I think the average age of the posters here at Huskerboard is around 22. They just weren't around or were too young to remember the 80s & 90s and can't imagine winning without a lumbering pocket passer. They're butthurt to an extreme that Bo & Beck don't agree and really want Callahan's offense (or something similar).

They have seen a few highlight reels though so they "know" Frost, Frazier, Crouch etc were great passers too!

• Fire 1

I'm not old enough to know about the 80's and I was but just a young lad during the 90's. Yes, there is no denying the fact that Martinez can run the football...he's a true threat when he's running the ball, but I'm not being critical of his running ability. I am being critical of his passing/decision making. With conference play starting next week, the success or failure of our season will hinge on our defense and on Taylor's arm. He's going to be challenged, teams are going to stack the box and force Taylor to air it out. I honestly don't have a whole lot of confidence in Taylor's throwing ability.

No QB is perfect. Watch a non-Nebraska game with as critical an eye towards their QB as you do towards Martinez, and ask yourself honestly if you'd be much more happy. There would still be missed throws and bad decisions and interceptions (unless you're watching Robert Griffin III, but that's not the point).

I do. And while I didn't like much of what I witnessed last year from Martinez. I made very few negative comments about him during the season. Mostly because I felt like he was working with nothing around him. No real running game, one of the worst receiving cores around, an offensive line that was beaten routinely and an offensive coordinator who put him in lose, lose situations all game long.

Which is why I said I was cautiously optimistic going into this season. But I feel like he has the weapons around him and a much more competent play caller this year. Yet it looks like the same Martinez out there.

I'm not asking for perfection. Just growth. I've seen very little from him in that area. I hope he proves me wrong next week.

I think there's some truth to that, bshirt, but your rhetoric about "butthurt" people is extreme. I don't think people are butthurt.

I do agree that a lot of people who talk about our offense seem to only know the Championship teams from highlight reels, which tell a terribly skewed story of the players we used to have. Tommie Frazier - whom people talk about as perhaps the greatest QB in college football history - had some pretty awful games, and often a bad series or two in most every game. Those aren't shown on highlight reels on YouTube, so people tend to have skewed perspectives about these guys.

Same goes for Frost, Crouch, Steve Taylor, Gdowski, Turner Gill, etc. All had flaws, all had bad plays, bad series, bad games. But when people compare Martinez to them, they tend to ignore those things - or they simply don't remember them, or never knew about them in the first place.

I think there's some truth to that, bshirt, but your rhetoric about "butthurt" people is extreme. I don't think people are butthurt.

I do agree that a lot of people who talk about our offense seem to only know the Championship teams from highlight reels, which tell a terribly skewed story of the players we used to have. Tommie Frazier - whom people talk about as perhaps the greatest QB in college football history - had some pretty awful games, and often a bad series or two in most every game. Those aren't shown on highlight reels on YouTube, so people tend to have skewed perspectives about these guys.

Same goes for Frost, Crouch, Steve Taylor, Gdowski, Turner Gill, etc. All had flaws, all had bad plays, bad series, bad games. But when people compare Martinez to them, they tend to ignore those things - or they simply don't remember them, or never knew about them in the first place.

Yeah, agree that's a little extreme for most. But for some.....maybe not so much.