Carr,Price,Smith > Martinez

(oops, meant Prince)

Would anyone not gladly swap Martinez with any of these three?

Yeah, whatever, flame away. But he's continuing to look like the worst QB on the field vs just about every opposing QB we've faced.

If they want to bring back the option and commit to it, fine (even then he better learn how to hang on to the ball when running). But we're not a true option team, and I highly doubt we'll be able to "toss sweep" our way over defenses that we can't push around.

I just don't get how programs like Wyoming, Fresno st. and even the *hey, look at us, we finally broke .500 in 2010* Huskies can find these guys and we're still playing with a slot receiver at QB.

No question they are better "quarterbacks", but that doesn't mean they are better for what we are trying to do. It just is not the offense we are running. The offense we are running is build pretty heavily on Taylor's breakaway running ability, which really is pretty incredible.

Taylor will never be a good passer. But he can get smart about his decisions. Do that and he will take us far.

You are right though, Taylor is a slot receiver playing quarterback. But what else do we have right now, really?

--

I think this OOC slate this year has been fairly eye opening though. The mistakes that Taylor makes and the shortcomings he has in his passing game...they have been so often dismissed as "Hey, he's a freshman. Hey, he's a sophomore."

The thing is, it is not because he's young. It is because he is not really a quarterback. And I don't mean this in the pro-style mode either, I think we've seen some pretty mobile guys. Price is a dual threat, isn't he?

Taylor just is making the starts for us at that position, because of what he offers to us in the other areas. Even by mobile QB college football metrics, he is a little bit out of position. But that's OK because none of it honestly matters if he produces, and I think he has a pretty good chance of doing so. He's proved it on the field and has earned our patience, I think.

Taylor is a trade of pinpoint passing for one of the fastest players in college football. He's managed the game pretty well so far this season and he's not at his ceiling yet. I expect his passing will improve slightly in time, though never to a level where we'll call it his strength.

His true tests are coming, though. Unfortunately he's done well before only to blow it when the lights got bright. See: next week, Madison, Wisconsin.

• Fire 2

But......

Taylor is 4-0 as a starter, and all of the mentioned three each have at least 1 loss, of which are to Taylor. Sorry but OP has no logic and is idiotic. Continue drinking, then go to bed.

Meh, Cody Green was undefeated as a starter. Same cannot be said for Taylor. Now that is some faulty logic.

I don't agree with the verdict on Taylor because it ignores the pluses that he gives us, but I really do see where the OP is coming from and I think most of us should. All this time we have been saying "But Taylor is young." We should recognize now that Taylor is just a certain kind of player, the kind that isn't really a QB, but can be useful anyways.

No question they are better "quarterbacks", but that doesn't mean they are better for what we are trying to do. It just is not the offense we are running. The offense we are running is build pretty heavily on Taylor's breakaway running ability, which really is pretty incredible.

Taylor will never be a good passer. But he can get smart about his decisions. Do that and he will take us far.

You are right though, Taylor is a slot receiver playing quarterback. But what else do we have right now, really?

--

I think this OOC slate this year has been fairly eye opening though. The mistakes that Taylor makes and the shortcomings he has in his passing game...they have been so often dismissed as "Hey, he's a freshman. Hey, he's a sophomore."

The thing is, it is not because he's young. It is because he is not really a quarterback. And I don't mean this in the pro-style mode either, I think we've seen some pretty mobile guys. Price is a dual threat, isn't he?

Taylor just is making the starts for us at that position, because of what he offers to us in the other areas. Even by mobile QB college football metrics, he is a little bit out of position. But that's OK because none of it honestly matters if he produces, and I think he has a pretty good chance of doing so. He's proved it on the field and has earned our patience, I think.

I just feel like I've seen this movie before. And I know how this ends. We all get giddy like school girls (myself included early last year) as he shows blazing speed and great moves to blow by inferior athletes. Then, when we play teams with great athletes on defense he can't run by, we have no other options.

Martinez fumbles, gets frustrated in the pocket and takes big sacks, locks on to receivers and throws interceptions to linebackers and we lose.

As you said, everyone loves a good dual threat qb. But other than a true option team, I've yet to see a successful single threat qb when that one threat is his feet.

But......

Taylor is 4-0 as a starter, and all of the mentioned three each have at least 1 loss, of which are to Taylor. Sorry but OP has no logic and is idiotic. Continue drinking, then go to bed.

Meh, Cody Green was undefeated as a starter. Same cannot be said for Taylor. Now that is some faulty logic.

I don't agree with the verdict on Taylor because it ignores the pluses that he gives us, but I really do see where the OP is coming from and I think most of us should. All this time we have been saying "But Taylor is young." We should recognize now that Taylor is just a certain kind of player, the kind that isn't really a QB, but can be useful anyways.

Not only that but it's a team game. Calling Martinez better than those guys because of losses ignores the other ten guys on offense, the other defense, special teams, etc. It's a weird point.

I think I was the first person to make the point that Cody was undefeated as a starter sometime last year. I meant it as a joke, but it took off as if it was a real measurable.

Taylor has some really great qualities and he's a good quarterback. He's not a Joe Montana QB, he's a Husker QB, and that means running QB. There is a difference, both are capable of winning, and one is not better than the other in college football.

Having said that, if Taylor doesn't make better decisions throwing the football my head will asplode one day. And I'm not joking.

He also throws better on the run. I notice Beck is calling more and more as each game is going by to get Taylor on the run.

No he doesn't! :ahhhhhhhh

Goodness! He makes one completion on the run to a guy that is completely uncovered and we forget about just about every other time Taylor has ever thrown on the run!

The best throws Taylor makes are from the pocket, those long heaves. They are far from perfect, but you know what? If they are against single coverage, they are low-risk, high reward, and are effective. Easily the most dangerous weapon he has in his passing game arsenal.

I just feel like I've seen this movie before. And I know how this ends. We all get giddy like school girls (myself included early last year) as he shows blazing speed and great moves to blow by inferior athletes. Then, when we play teams with great athletes on defense he can't run by, we have no other options.

Oh I totally know what you mean. It is why I like a QB that can be a smart, pro-style QB. Just a personal preference. But I say give Taylor a chance to get smarter and grow into his role. He could surprise us!

He also throws better on the run. I notice Beck is calling more and more as each game is going by to get Taylor on the run.

No he doesn't! :ahhhhhhhh

Goodness! He makes one completion on the run to a guy that is completely uncovered and we forget about just about every other time Taylor has ever thrown on the run!

The best throws Taylor makes are from the pocket, those long heaves. They are far from perfect, but you know what? If they are against single coverage, they are low-risk, high reward, and are effective. Easily the most dangerous weapon he has in his passing game arsenal.

You missed the first half zoogies. Watch the whole game again, and your throwing on the run theory is proven wrong.

Taylor was far more effective throwing on the run tonight than he was throwing from the pocket. It's not even debatable. You can call it a fluke if you want, but this is the first game I can remember where we had enough of both to make a strong comparison.