The Man In the Arena

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

~by Theodore Roosevelt

I have to admit that last week's game was horrible, and I haven't been much of a Martinez fan, and I was the first to b**** about the results, BUT I have been a Husker fan since the late 60's and I will continue to be a Husker fan for the rest of my life! Each and every Saturday I put on my Nebraska gear, put out all my decorations, and get ready for the game! Living in Ohio for the past 35 years has been no big deal......until now. I have always been proud to say my team is the Nebraska Huskers! Now I am especially getting comments about being from Nebraska, but I love it when somebody has something to say! As for me and my family......we are partying at my oldest son's house tomorrow night (he's the Buckeye fan) and planning on celebrating a huge Nebraska victory! My 80 year old Mom (that I am taking to the Nebraska/Michigan State game, who will march up 73 rows, and who stands and yells throughout the whole game), my husband, my "good son" (the Husker fan), and myself will be cheering from almost 1000 miles away......no matter what! GO BIG RED!! I challenge everybody else inside and outside the great state of Nebraska to support our team! "We'll all stick together in all kinds of weather for dear old Nebraska U!!!"

Very nice. It's safe to say that for the program as a whole-coaches, players, students, and fan all included- this game maybe the biggest fork in the road in the history of Nebraska football. Things are on the brink of out of control. I have confidence but I can't help but fear the worst. Time to get behind the guys all out saturday night.

One of my favorite speaches that i've read of all time.

Other great parts

There are many men who feel a kind of twister pride in cynicism; there are many who confine themselves to criticism of the way others do what they themselves dare not even attempt. There is no more unhealthy being, no man less worthy of respect, than he who either really holds, or feigns to hold, an attitude of sneering disbelief toward all that is great and lofty, whether in achievement or in that noble effort which, even if it fails, comes to second achievement. A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life's realities - all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. They mark the men unfit to bear their part painfully in the stern strife of living, who seek, in the affection of contempt for the achievements of others, to hide from others and from themselves in their own weakness. The rôle is easy; there is none easier, save only the rôle of the man who sneers alike at both criticism and performance.