Presser

I think you've misunderstood what I asked. I didn't ask if you agreed with the critiques, I asked if you agreed with the manner in which he leveled those criticisms.

Specifically, do you think there was nothing at all wrong with the adjectives Dirk used to describe Martinez, or to draw a picture of his character?

I think you've misunderstood what I asked. I didn't ask if you agreed with the critiques, I asked if you agreed with the manner in which he leveled those criticisms.

Specifically, do you think there was nothing at all wrong with the adjectives Dirk used to describe Martinez, or to draw a picture of his character?

Gotcha. For the most part, I do agree (in the manner you're asking) with the way I said in those points. Would i have done some differently? For sure. But it was a column, and Dirk gets to form an opinion in that column. There's not ever going to be a column that I agree with down to every word.

Are there any specific examples from that article you're referring to?

No discussion from me as of yet but I'll just leave a transcript of the last quarter of the presser here, in the interests of a discussion based not on half-quotes or misinformation.

--

Dirk: Hey Bo, what impressed you the most about Taylor tonight?

Bo: You watched the game. You figure it out, huh?... What do you think?

Dirk: I thought he played with a lot of poise.

Bo: Mm-hm. So do I. Especially considering, you know, the articles...and things you did, did everything you could to rattle the guy.

Dirk: Who did?

Bo: You. I read your article. Friday.

Dirk: What'd you think of the crowd at the end of the first half?

Bo: What do you think? I could care less.

Dirk: It looked like you went like 'this' to them at one point.

Bo: I didn't do anything of the sort.

Dirk: Did that motivate guys, I mean, hearing the boos going into the half?

Bo: Our team is motivated period.

Dirk: Do you think Taylor would have been able to do what he did ...

Bo: I'm done with you. Let's get somebody who asks a question that's worth answering.

Other guy: Can you talk about the bye week coming up, is this the perfect time?

Bo: What's that?

Other guy: Bye week? Can you talk about if this is a good time for the bye?

Bo: Yeah, I think this is a good time. I think our football team is about half way, I think they need a break. Mentally and physically.

Guy #3: What is the key to seizing momentum when it's there to be seized, what did you guys do to do that, really take full control?

Bo: We played better football. We executed. That's what the game comes down to, execution. Same group of guys who played the second half played the first half. We executed better in the second half, we didn't execute very well in the first half.

Guy #4: How does it feel to beat your alma mater?

Bo: It's not about me, it's about the football team.

Bo: Thank you. (Leaves)

(Applause)

http://www.omaha.com...ten-home-opener

Dirk was the only one asking questions about actual things. Is it the "perfect time"? For what? Just is the time perfect? Great question. That was a question worth answering. Oh, nice questions about his feelings, too, guy 4. Moment-seizing-- another solid metaphorical topic of conversation. Bo makes himself look like a high-strung, condescending jackass when he answers questions like that. Dirk's questions were perfectly reasonable, even if he does look like a pony. Bo also said that he "could care less" [sic] about the fans' and their reaction to the game. Great. He does realize that he's a highly paid director of entertainment, doesn't he? I like college football quite a bit, but in the end, he tells college kids where to stand and run on a field during a game. He didn't just handle the Cuban Missile Crisis or cure cancer. The media makes football what it is. That's why the program has a huge budget and where they get their money-- contracts with the media. I'm not saying that he needs to suck up to them, but he doesn't have to come off like the dreaded media monster doesn't contribute anything to the program. They're the reason that so many people can tune in, the money the media pays for contracts with University is where a bulk of the income comes from, and, basically, they're the reason that college football can be a national obsession instead of just a glorified high school game.

I honestly don't get the animosity. Even if you don't like how it seems the media drums up drama or intrigue where there might not be any, that also increases interest in the team and the game. And I guess if someone forced the fans to pick sides, it should be with the people who try to get information out of the program instead of with the people who would like to prevent that information from getting out. Oh well.

• Fire 2

The tone of the article was unnecessarily vindictive. It speaks volumes that you need specifics to be pointed out to you.

Specifically:

When he sulked on the sideline during the Texas game; didn't show up for a team function after the Texas A&M game; declared Nebraska "my team and no one else's team" after a win yet avoided press conferences after losses the way most people avoid cleaning gutters.

When Pelini made excuses for every Martinez mistake, insisting that Taylor was healthy last year when he wasn't.

I don't see how a person can read this and in any way think it's appropriate. Dirk isn't a message-board poster, he's a journalist. Hiding behind the facade of "opinion piece" is a crock.

I especially got a kick out of 'Stop with the "Woe is me." ' Dirk is projecting, again hiding behind the cloak of "opinion piece." I could give example after example.

Bottom line is, Dirk is getting less criticism for his unnecessarily aggressive articles, for his unnecessary muck-raking, and his peers in the press are sick of it.

And yet, Dirk gets support from the fans, while Martinez gets grief.

The tone of the article was unnecessarily vindictive. It speaks volumes that you need specifics to be pointed out to you.

Specifically:

When he sulked on the sideline during the Texas game; didn't show up for a team function after the Texas A&M game; declared Nebraska "my team and no one else's team" after a win yet avoided press conferences after losses the way most people avoid cleaning gutters.

When Pelini made excuses for every Martinez mistake, insisting that Taylor was healthy last year when he wasn't.

I don't see how a person can read this and in any way think it's appropriate. Dirk isn't a message-board poster, he's a journalist. Hiding behind the facade of "opinion piece" is a crock.

I especially got a kick out of 'Stop with the "Woe is me." ' Dirk is projecting, again hiding behind the cloak of "opinion piece." I could give example after example.

Bottom line is, Dirk is getting less criticism for his unnecessarily aggressive articles, for his unnecessary muck-raking, and his peers in the press are sick of it.

And yet, Dirk gets support from the fans, while Martinez gets grief.

Wow, I try to be civil and you of all people attack me. Interesting. You should get a job with NU media relations, you would fit right in there.

It shocks me that you think a reporter can't write an article because it might make someone sad. That's freedom of speech. If we didn't have anyone to question the status quo and make someone a little uncomfortable from time to time, what's the point of free speech?

Good journalism comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable. Sorry we live in a world of duality.

It speaks volumes that I need specifics pointed out to me? What is that insinuating other than me being an idiot?

It means that you have a very different opinion than I do, and that your focus is on the side of the reporter, not on the side of the player.

I have no idea how you can 1) Think that's in any way an "attack" on you, and 2) How you can insinuate that I'm attacking you, but think that Dirk's article, which is FAR MORE pointed in tone, is NOT attacking Martinez.

Wow, GMoose. I really hope you're joking here.

Where Dirk messed up is when he forgot that a journalist is supposed to report on the stories he or she observes. They are NOT supposed to interject themselves into the story or try to create a story just so they have something to write about. THAT...is where & when Dirk Chatelain crossed the line.

It speaks volumes that I need specifics pointed out to me? What is that insinuating other than me being an idiot?

It means that you have a very different opinion than I do, and that your focus is on the side of the reporter, not on the side of the player.

I have no idea how you can 1) Think that's in any way an "attack" on you, and 2) How you can insinuate that I'm attacking you, but think that Dirk's article, which is FAR MORE pointed in tone, is NOT attacking Martinez.

Wow, GMoose. I really hope you're joking here.

Well we're not important here so I'll disregard that. The only time Dirk comes close to attacking Martinez is in the first point when he says the UW loss was on him, and I already said I don't agree with that statement, I think that was on Beck. Hell, Dirk even goes on to say it was Beck who put Martinez in the position to fail.

I don't remember specifically his manner during the Texas game, but he always looks like he's sulking to me. In your memory, was it really that overtly non-sulking that you think Dirk's working was malicious?

Also, I can't say enough that when I ask a question I'm trying to get an answer, not be condescending. I know my wording comes off that way sometimes, but these are questions, not sarcastic rhetorical remarks.

Finley Peter Dunne disagrees with you, The Duke.

Of course, his views are a large part of the reason the British press is denounced roundly as "tabloid journalism," and why such views bred an environment of abuse so profound that the largest and longest-published paper in their country had to be shut down due to wildly inappropriate (and I'm being generous with that description) behavior.