How about Nebraska v. Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl

Look, I'm not saying Oklahoma and Nebraska would be a "bad" matchup in the Rose Bowl. I'm not saying you should kill the rivalry or that I don't consider it to be a great game. I never even said that the Rose Bowl is ALWAYS Pac-12 v. Big 10, all I'm saying is what I would like to see and how I would like things to be. For the most part, or at least since the 1940's that game has been Pac v. Big 10, that is our tradition which I welcome you to take part in. We as a conference really haven't asked that much of you, most of your big games so far have been AT Lincoln, we had to double down on trips we just made (like UW at MSU) to accomodate you and we had to cope with probably the most retarded nomenclature in modern CFB history. All that we ask is that you embrace us as your new bretheren and join in the tradition that makes the conference the most storied in the game...please, you're new and we like you, don't become the Big Ten's Texas.

f#*k that, Rose Bowl is Pac-10 v. Big Ten. I don't care if there are loopholes or what happened in the past, don't ruin it this year like they did last year. The Big XII has their bowls, they should stay there.

Dude... No one is saying it's GOING to happen. Nor are they saying Nebraska is trying to change the Big 10 traditions to align more with our own. They are just stating that, because we have SO much history with Oklahoma, and there has been some "off" match-ups in the Rose Bowl in recent years, it would be really cool (from the Husker fan perspective), if a Husker-Sooner Rose Bowl match up was to happen.

:bigredn:

Really?

To any Nebraska fan, Nebraska vs. Oklahoma is WAAAY bigger than Big Ten vs. Pac 12. I mean, everyone loves the Big Ten so far, but the one thing we all miss, and will always miss, from the Big 12/8: Oklahoma.

I would hope Big 10 fans would realize this too. Nebraska vs Oklahoma is not only a Nebraska tradition...its a College Football Tradition. Now that this games is going to be played VERY RARELY, you take advantage of it whenever you can. Who cares if it disrupts the Rose Bowl and the B1G vs Pac 12 tradition. Nebraska vs Oklahoma is bigger and more important than that. The Rose Bowl could hypothetically play B1G vs Pac 12 every year for the next 100+ years. Nebraska vs Oklahoma might happen 2-3 times the next 100 years. You play NU vs OU in the Rose Bowl.

Didn't catch that, my mistake. I'd be on your side when it comes to this statement Badgerfan. Again, the Nebraska-OU rivalry is of course bigger and more important to Husker/OU fans. I'm still saying the OP was posting more along the lines of "if there is a deviation from the standard Rose Bowl match-up, it would be really cool to see Nebraska-OU, since that match up will be very rare from now on". Looking at it from a Husker angle, you can see where he/we would be excited if this were to happen.

Oh and for the record, I understand this is a "what-if" thread not a "we-want" and to be honest if the Rose Bowl couldn't pick a Pac 12 team I would MUCH prefer they pick the Sooners over another TCU-type team. They changed their logo for the game....come on, act like you've been there before.

Look, I'm not saying Oklahoma and Nebraska would be a "bad" matchup in the Rose Bowl. I'm not saying you should kill the rivalry or that I don't consider it to be a great game. I never even said that the Rose Bowl is ALWAYS Pac-12 v. Big 10, all I'm saying is what I would like to see and how I would like things to be. For the most part, or at least since the 1940's that game has been Pac v. Big 10, that is our tradition which I welcome you to take part in. We as a conference really haven't asked that much of you, most of your big games so far have been AT Lincoln, we had to double down on trips we just made (like UW at MSU) to accomodate you and we had to cope with probably the most retarded nomenclature in modern CFB history. All that we ask is that you embrace us as your new bretheren and join in the tradition that makes the conference the most storied in the game...please, you're new and we like you, don't become the Big Ten's Texas.

Actually we had/have to play the top 3 teams from the other division, 2 of 3 on the road. We are playing at PSU, at the Big House, and at Camp Randall. Oh and by the way we're not getting the same amount of cash as the rest of the conference for a couple of years. So don't act like NU is coming into the conference and calling all our own shots. And the B1G vs. PAC absolutism ended with the BCS just like NU vs OU ended with the Big 12. In fact I seem to have a vague memory of Wisconsin playing a non-PAC school just last year.

Look, I'm not saying Oklahoma and Nebraska would be a "bad" matchup in the Rose Bowl. I'm not saying you should kill the rivalry or that I don't consider it to be a great game. I never even said that the Rose Bowl is ALWAYS Pac-12 v. Big 10, all I'm saying is what I would like to see and how I would like things to be. For the most part, or at least since the 1940's that game has been Pac v. Big 10, that is our tradition which I welcome you to take part in. We as a conference really haven't asked that much of you, (1)most of your big games so far have been AT Lincoln, we had to double down on trips we just made (like UW at MSU) to accomodate you and (2)we had to cope with probably the most retarded nomenclature in modern CFB history. All that we ask is that you embrace us as your new bretheren and join in the tradition that makes the conference the most storied in the game...please, you're new and we like you, don't become the Big Ten's Texas.

(1) The only *big* home game we've had in Conference has been Sparty. We travelled to Camp Randall, and will soon travel to Happy Valley and The Big House (back to back weeks). I know you said games so far, but it looks to me as though our boys are doing their fair share of travelling to some VERY tough venues this season. Wiscy opened with 6 home games (including a game against us), so it would make sense for them to have to go on the road for a couple games.

(2) Forgive me, I just don't follow... What's this mean?

The rivalry is over. Let's move on.

I'd actually like to see a Nebraska-Oregon matchup.

+1

It wasn't really a rivalry game in the post-Switzer era, it wasn't important enough for OU to petition to keep in the Big 12, a good size chunk of our fans don't remember it ever being a rivalry, and most B10 / Pac-12 fans definitely do not care.

Don't forget the fact that we were "blessed" to have the hardest cross divisional schedule right out of the box (Wisconsin, Penn State & Ohio State). Wisky got us and Michigan State, but they were given a pass with Minnesota as their 3rd. It'll be nice when Wisconsin and Ohio State give way for our series with Illinois, Purdue and Indiana.

Look, I'm not saying Oklahoma and Nebraska would be a "bad" matchup in the Rose Bowl. I'm not saying you should kill the rivalry or that I don't consider it to be a great game. I never even said that the Rose Bowl is ALWAYS Pac-12 v. Big 10, all I'm saying is what I would like to see and how I would like things to be. For the most part, or at least since the 1940's that game has been Pac v. Big 10, that is our tradition which I welcome you to take part in. We as a conference really haven't asked that much of you, (1)most of your big games so far have been AT Lincoln, we had to double down on trips we just made (like UW at MSU) to accomodate you and (2)we had to cope with probably the most retarded nomenclature in modern CFB history. All that we ask is that you embrace us as your new bretheren and join in the tradition that makes the conference the most storied in the game...please, you're new and we like you, don't become the Big Ten's Texas.

(1) The only *big* home game we've had in Conference has been Sparty. We travelled to Camp Randall, and will soon travel to Happy Valley and The Big House (back to back weeks). I know you said games so far, but it looks to me as though our boys are doing their fair share of travelling to some VERY tough venues this season. Wiscy opened with 6 home games (including a game against us), so it would make sense for them to have to go on the road for a couple games.

(2) Forgive me, I just don't follow... What's this mean?

surely means division names

i agree