Judge beats daughter w/ belt for downloading music illegally

Interesting thoughts knapp and thanks for sharing your perspective. She is certainly now coming across as a manipulative person.

But, what he did is never excusable IMO. And, it must have happened often for her to tape it. I understand what you are saying, I truly do, but I have a had time believing a child should be put through that.

My sister was and is tremendously manipulative. She is alive but not part of my life.

It is dangerous to project from my life thoughts and feelings onto the life of this woman (then child) and her judge father. But it is possible that the child, at 16, could have been manipulative enough that she instigated events to the point where her parents just snapped. I know this is possible because I witnessed it in my childhood.

It is also very possible - and probably more likely - that the judge father was just an abusive a-hole who cowed his (then) wife into participating in the unwarranted belting of their child. The wife has since divorced the judge from what I understand. Stockholm Syndrome would explain her participation, or she could simply be an abuser herself, or simply misunderstood the situation. Again, there are a thousand possibilities. We know nothing truthful from that video.

To throw out yet another possible caveat, it's possible that the daughter's choice to release this video has more to do with her parents' divorce than with the fact that her father was truly an abuser. It's possible she is choosing sides, and firing a salvo in mom's defense.

Interesting thoughts knapp and thanks for sharing your perspective. She is certainly now coming across as a manipulative person.

But, what he did is never excusable IMO. And, it must have happened often for her to tape it. I understand what you are saying, I truly do, but I have a had time believing a child should be put through that.

My sister was and is tremendously manipulative. She is alive but not part of my life.

It is dangerous to project from my life thoughts and feelings onto the life of this woman (then child) and her judge father. But it is possible that the child, at 16, could have been manipulative enough that she instigated events to the point where her parents just snapped. I know this is possible because I witnessed it in my childhood.

It is also very possible - and probably more likely - that the judge father was just an abusive a-hole who cowed his (then) wife into participating in the unwarranted belting of their child. The wife has since divorced the judge from what I understand. Stockholm Syndrome would explain her participation, or she could simply be an abuser herself, or simply misunderstood the situation. Again, there are a thousand possibilities. We know nothing truthful from that video.

To throw out yet another possible caveat, it's possible that the daughter's choice to release this video has more to do with her parents' divorce than with the fact that her father was truly an abuser. It's possible she is choosing sides, and firing a salvo in mom's defense.

The judge's response (see link above) supports some of what you are saying. Basically he said he was going to cut her off and this is revenge.

The judge's response (see link above) supports some of what you are saying. Basically he said he was going to cut her off and this is revenge.

I can't believe he thinks why she posted it is even relevant...or he'd even say why she posted it. It just makes him look like he's in denial and not being accountable.

I can't believe he thinks why she posted it is even relevant...or he'd even say why she posted it. It just makes him look like he's in denial and not being accountable.

He's a giant douche canoe, that's why.

Agreed Red , pretty good name for him. When a child is a teenager any kind of corporal punishment is not going to do any good. A swat on the keister when they are younger to get their attention has a limited , small part of getting a child to realize there are consequences for bad behavior. Some never learn that. Anything more than a swat on the keister doesnt do anybody any good. My own parents , especially my father were looking for an excuse to get the belt out , and I probably gave them some reasons to , but they never got that carried away. I had a guy at my church , when we discussed parenting , when my little girls were babies , said that spanking does no good. I said to him ( I never spanked them when they were babies ) dont you think in the future it would do some good to put a little FEAR OF GOD into them ? He looked at me and shaked his head NO . My friend is very wise , he was right. I did spank my girls when they were younger , and it just scared them a little , didnt teach them anything. I have since told my friend at church he was right , and I havent spanked my grade school girls for many years now. I now explain right and wrong to them.

My girls do know right from wrong for now , when they get to be teenagers they may lose that for awhile , but by me spanking them , they wont look back on that and think that they learned anything at all about that . What I hope they learn is that they have choices to make , good and bad , and they will be more benefited by good choices.

This guy who beat his kid is a judge , and they should not only get him out of his job , they should look at his cases in the past and determine if he is too flawed and out of touch to be determining anyones futures ...

He's a giant douche canoe, that's why.

dont you think in the future it would do some good to put a little FEAR OF GOD into them ? He looked at me and shaked his head NO

I don't think it puts the fear of god in them...it puts the fear of YOU in them. And I personally don't ever want my child to fear me. I know some would say you'll feel different in anger, but sitting there watching the video I couldn't ever imagine hitting my daughter like that. Someone I'm supposed to protect, love and do anything for. I'd never hit my wife like that and I'll never hit my daughter like that (if I ever have one).

Like you said, you need to teach them right from wrong. Kids are going to do wrong...it's just a fact. But I don't think physical violence is ever a way to handle a situation you don't like. Especially something as trivial as downloading Kazaa on the home computer. Jeez.

I once heard a story (not sure who from) from someone who witnessed a child misbehaving in public. The child was screaming and throwing a temper tantrum....attracting all attention. The kind of attention to make his parent embarrassed. But all the mother of the child did was lean down and whisper something in the ear of the child and he quit screaming. The witness to all this had to go ask what she said to her child to get her to calm down. "Excuse me, can I ask what you said to calm down the temper tantrum he was throwing." And the mother just said she whispered "Everyone is looking at you."

I do not believe in corporal punishment. I do not and will never hit my kids. I know that many believe in the practice, and I don't have a serious issue with its reasonable application. What happens in this video isn't anywhere in the realm of acceptable corporal punishment. That beating wasn't "correction," it was abuse. Hopefully someone tracks him down and gives him a taste of what he gave to that poor kid. I'm not saying she is, but for the sake of argument, who can blame her if she's a screwed up manipulative adult given the way she was raised?

I agree, but according to cnn last night, statue of limitations says he doesn't get it.

Hopefully he gets voted out of office, disbarred, and sued in civil court.

There's a SOL on child abuse? Hmm...I'm thinking there shouldn't be so sucks if there is.

I am not sure but I think there is a SOL in most cases, other than murder and maybe rape. :thumbs

Has anyone mentioned that she is has a disability? She suffers from a rare type of palsy. FYI

Not really sure that has any bearing on the situation.

No, but it was part of the story when reported in the media and I didn't see it mentioned on thread.

It's as relevant as which flavor of ice cream she prefers, isn't it?