Judge beats daughter w/ belt for downloading music illegally

He deserves prison for this.

Texas judge 'needs help', says beaten daughter

Police are investigating Texas judge William Adams after video shows him savagely beating 16-year-old daughter

The daughter of a Texas judge, who is seen suffering a savage beating in an

, has said her father "needs help".

Hillary Adams, who uploaded the video showing the 2004 beating, went on television in the US to explain why she had done it, and said it happened often when she was young.

Police have launched an investigation into whether her father, Aransas county court judge William Adams, committed an offence.

Hillary Adams, now 23, said she has received an outpouring of support and encouragement since posting the video last week. But her feelings were tempered by the sadness her father lashed her 17 times with a belt after threatening to beat her "into submission."

Read the read on the link.

http://www.guardian....r?newsfeed=true

Here's the video. You have to sign in and be 18 to view it. It's beyond outrageous. Why does he turn out the lights before he starts beating her??

I agree, but according to cnn last night, statue of limitations says he doesn't get it.

Hopefully he gets voted out of office, disbarred, and sued in civil court.

There's a SOL on child abuse? Hmm...I'm thinking there shouldn't be so sucks if there is.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/03/justice/texas-video-beating/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Even worse, check out what the judge has to say:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/11/03/judge.adams.statement.pdf

I saw this article/video today as well. And the of course read the many comments supporting it as a simple child spanking. I really like when the mom says "You're 16. Take your spankings like a grown woman!"

Really? This is what a grown adult woman should expect? Beatings when she does something wrong?

Which got me thinking about starting a thread here to see how people discipline their children. I personally don't have kids, but the wife and I have recently talked about having them...and we have also talked about how to discipline them as well. I was spanked as a child. Nothing nearly as severe as the above video, but spanked. Still, I have made a decision that I won't discipline my child with physical force/violence/spanking, etc. I don't see it as a way to teach a young child how to live and behave in society. If parents are to set an example for their child, why then is it appropriate to be attack them physically when they have misbehaved when we don't accept it in society. If I'm mad at something coworker did, do I go up and slap them? Why would I raise a child to believe that's how you handle conflicts? Yes yes, I know conservatives will call that liberal hippy bullsh#t...and I'll just slap them with my belt for cursing in my house!

So what say you? What kind of punishment do you inflict in your household? Time outs...spanking....the belt? When does punishment cross the line? What age is too old for physical punishment?

I wondered when this subject would pop up here. The Webz are abuzz with this story.

I got the belt from my dad. German temper. The belt landed with serious force. But he only had to do it to me a couple of times, and I stopped being a twit around the house. Still made mistakes afterward, but didn't get the belt for it. After a while mom and dad learned that a very disappointed look carried as much weight as the belt. The last thing I ever did "wrong" as a kid under my dad's roof involved me, the cops and some handcuffs. For that I got no belt - just silence. In many ways the silence was worse.

So what say you? What kind of punishment do you inflict in your household? Time outs...spanking....the belt? When does punishment cross the line? What age is too old for physical punishment?

I have spanked my child. Only, maybe, five times. ONLY with my open hand, and only one time on a bare butt. I started early, when she was very little. I think there are people who, in a vacuum, would look at that and say I did wrong. But I have an excellent relationship with my child, and we are to the point where words alone do the trick. I hope they always work, because I doubt I'll ever spank my kid again.

But here's the thing about this situation with this judge. The same parents who raised me and who extremely rarely used physical punishment on me had to contend with my hellion sister, for whom no discipline worked. There were times when my mother raised her hand to my sister when my sister was in her teens. Likely, today, mom would have landed in jail for what she did. There were fights, literally.

But my sister deserved it. She egged them on. She took their correction and spat in their face. My parents were good people, who raised us with proper values. My sister shat all over those values for no discernible reason. She goaded my mom, especially, and fanned the flames of the situation. Even as a young kid, she was a very good manipulator. I don't think what my mom did was OK, but having lived with that POS of a sibling, I get why she did it.

At some point, with some people (kids, I'm talking about) you just can't move forward. They decide, for whatever reason, that they will NOT be corrected. What do you do? I have no idea, and I hope I never find out with my child. My sister's behavior, her ridiculous choices, horrified my parents, and for the last 20 years of my mom's life, my sister was a chain around her neck. There are just some people you cannot deal with, who won't adhere to proper upbringing.

That's why I reserve judgment on this Judge. The video is viscerally disturbing. But it is a few minutes' glimpse into their life. We have no idea what the dynamic of their lives are holistically based on this.

I can guarantee you that if you saw some of the fights my mom and sister had, you would think my mother was a terrible person. But the truth, the sober, unvarnished truth, blinders off, is that she wasn't. My sister was. And continues to be.

Who's to say, based on this video, that their family isn't like mine?

I agree, but according to cnn last night, statue of limitations says he doesn't get it.

Hopefully he gets voted out of office, disbarred, and sued in civil court.

There's a SOL on child abuse? Hmm...I'm thinking there shouldn't be so sucks if there is.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c1

Even worse, check out what the judge has to say:

http://i2.cdn.turner...s.statement.pdf

His comments about the video are disturbing too.

"Texas law defines a child as being 14 years or less,"

so what is a 15-17 year old? beating a 15 year old is the same as an adult? I can understand having 3 or more age groups for the law...like ages 1-14 being the most severe crimes...15-17 being less, but more than 18+. I hope they can find some law to get him on. If nothing else he's pretty much going to have to live like a hermit for the rest of his life after this...or move out of the country.

Interesting thoughts knapp and thanks for sharing your perspective. She is certainly now coming across as a manipulative person.

But, what he did is never excusable IMO. And, it must have happened often for her to tape it. I understand what you are saying, I truly do, but I have a had time believing a child should be put through that.

I wondered when this subject would pop up here. The Webz are abuzz with this story.

I got the belt from my dad. German temper. The belt landed with serious force. But he only had to do it to me a couple of times, and I stopped being a twit around the house. Still made mistakes afterward, but didn't get the belt for it. After a while mom and dad learned that a very disappointed look carried as much weight as the belt. The last thing I ever did "wrong" as a kid under my dad's roof involved me, the cops and some handcuffs. For that I got no belt - just silence. In many ways the silence was worse.

I have spanked my child. Only, maybe, five times. ONLY with my open hand, and only one time on a bare butt. I started early, when she was very little. I think there are people who, in a vacuum, would look at that and say I did wrong. But I have an excellent relationship with my child, and we are to the point where words alone do the trick. I hope they always work, because I doubt I'll ever spank my kid again.

But here's the thing about this situation with this judge. The same parents who raised me and who extremely rarely used physical punishment on me had to contend with my hellion sister, for whom no discipline worked. There were times when my mother raised her hand to my sister when my sister was in her teens. Likely, today, mom would have landed in jail for what she did. There were fights, literally.

But my sister deserved it. She egged them on. She took their correction and spat in their face. My parents were good people, who raised us with proper values. My sister shat all over those values for no discernible reason. She goaded my mom, especially, and fanned the flames of the situation. Even as a young kid, she was a very good manipulator. I don't think what my mom did was OK, but having lived with that POS of a sibling, I get why she did it.

At some point, with some people (kids, I'm talking about) you just can't move forward. They decide, for whatever reason, that they will NOT be corrected. What do you do? I have no idea, and I hope I never find out with my child. My sister's behavior, her ridiculous choices, horrified my parents, and for the last 20 years of my mom's life, my sister was a chain around her neck. There are just some people you cannot deal with, who won't adhere to proper upbringing.

That's why I reserve judgment on this Judge. The video is viscerally disturbing. But it is a few minutes' glimpse into their life. We have no idea what the dynamic of their lives are holistically based on this.

I can guarantee you that if you saw some of the fights my mom and sister had, you would think my mother was a terrible person. But the truth, the sober, unvarnished truth, blinders off, is that she wasn't. My sister was. And continues to be.

how old is your sister now and how did she turn out?

I was spanked as a kid but nothing violent. Just on the butt w/ an open hand maybe 1-3 spanks. I'm not sure what I'll do w/ my kids if I have any. I'll probably read up on the subject and then decide. I'm sure my wife would have some input too. :) That said, my gut feeling is that I won't spank as I tend to think it's just "the easy way". THAT said, I have a nephew and cousin that were VERY difficult kids growing up. My nephew would get in trouble just for the fun of it. I remember he was like 3 and he kicked my dad's 55" TV just to do it. I said..."Don't do that!" and he just smiled and did it again. I was like...WTF?? He's 13 now and oh man the stories on that kid...I'm just glad I'm not his parent.

Interesting thoughts knapp and thanks for sharing your perspective. She is certainly now coming across as a manipulative person.

But, what he did is never excusable IMO. And, it must have happened often for her to tape it. I understand what you are saying, I truly do, but I have a had time believing a child should be put through that.

Agreed, what happened in the video is never ok. and again...why did he turn the lights off before beating her?? Did he not want to see her face or something while he did it? Obviously we don't know, I'm just curious as it's so odd.

how old is your sister now and how did she turn out?

I was spanked as a kid but nothing violent. Just on the butt w/ an open hand maybe 1-3 spanks. I'm not sure what I'll do w/ my kids if I have any. I'll probably read up on the subject and then decide. I'm sure my wife would have some input too. :) That said, my gut feeling is that I won't spank as I tend to think it's just "the easy way". THAT said, I have a nephew and cousin that were VERY difficult kids growing up. My nephew would get in trouble just for the fun of it. I remember he was like 3 and he kicked my dad's 55" TV just to do it. I said..."Don't do that!" and he just smiled and did it again. I was like...WTF?? He's 13 now and oh man the stories on that kid...I'm just glad I'm not his parent.

We tend to use natural consequences. But you do spank (rarely) for lying and all-out defiance - only after a timeout and an explanation.

Sometimes, with my boys, I flick them in the back of the head if they are being defiant, but only once to get their attention.