Judge beats daughter w/ belt for downloading music illegally

Has anyone mentioned that she is has a disability? She suffers from a rare type of palsy. FYI

Not really sure that has any bearing on the situation.

No, but it was part of the story when reported in the media and I didn't see it mentioned on thread.

It's as relevant as which flavor of ice cream she prefers, isn't it?

Aren't all the facts listed in the media report somewhat relevant? I didn't see where they mentioned her preference on ice cream.

If she was retarded and didn't know right from wrong would that be as relevant that she liked butter pecan ice cream? Would that make the story worse, irrelevant or better in your mind?

Growing up, I was spanked maybe twice that I can remember, both times by my mom. It didn't last very long because she would feel guilty, and I don't even remember what I did to deserve the spankings.

I find there are other, more effective ways to discipline your child. I don't think I'd ever hit my child, and I would most definitely never use some kind of tool like a belt. Spanking or otherwise hitting your child as a means of punishment teaches them to not do something again, but it doesn't benefit anyone outside of that. Instead of spanking, I'd make them do something as a means of reparations. For example, I'd make them volunteer to help someone, ground them, or make them do something during their free time that they would much rather not be doing, but it is in some way helpful to someone else. That way, the child is losing out on something they want to do, but are helping somebody else in the process.

Of course, that's very age appropriate as it's tough to discipline your child that way when they're young, however I think this is a great way to discipline kids from childhood up through their teens.