The Awarding of the Blackshirts

Remember that one time when JP talked about how things were at Nebraska when he played?

Hes like that guy you know that graduated from high school 20 years ago and still talks about how he helped his fooseball team win districts. Give it a rest.

It's an ex player talking about his glory day yes. But it's his opinion just like I stated mine above. If you don't like it don't pay attention to it. Some people want to hear what current coaches and players have to say along with ex coaches and players. Why do you think they invite ex players to be on Big Red Wrap Up on Tuesday nights.

• Fire 1

Remember that one time when JP talked about how things were at Nebraska when he played?

Hes like that guy you know that graduated from high school 20 years ago and still talks about how he helped his fooseball team win districts. Give it a rest.

It's an ex player talking about his glory day yes. But it's his opinion just like I stated mine above. If you don't like it don't pay attention to it. Some people want to hear what current coaches and players have to say along with ex coaches and players. Why do you think they invite ex players to be on Big Red Wrap Up on Tuesday nights.

Sorry I did not clarify my earlier post better. I have no problem with former players chiming in on whats going on, its just that JP has taken it to an out of this world new level. He brings any conversation back to his old playing days and how things were done back then.

Here is how it should be IMO.

McBride regularly handed out 12 to 14 — even after he vowed to make it more exclusive. It's not practical to build a defense with 11 guys, McBride said, especially nowadays.

In the '70s and '80s, Nebraska faced the same personnel groups every week. The coordinator knew what defenders he was going to play.

Now you face a power running game one Saturday, a spread passing game the next. One week, you play three linebackers the whole game; the next you play six defensive backs.

"When you're the first-team player in the nickel and dime," McBride said, "you deserve a Blackshirt."

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/711039770

so that is 12 to 14. I think it's a shame Bo has changed this very cool, unique, staple of a Husker tradition. From the not handing them out before the season to giving them out to 20 players. Bo has literally changed the definition of "blackshirt" in a big way w/ how they aren't given to at least the starters automatically. If you earn a starting spot, you earn a blackshirt. That's how it has always been...that's the def of a blackshirt.

It's weird how fans pick n choose which traditions are sacred and which aren't. I would think this would be more sacred than us wearing all red for 1 game a season...or all white. Especially since even TO did those things.

Now this doesn't mean he's a bad or good coach...it just shows he doesn't really understand or respect the tradition as much as I hoped he would.

• Fire 1

As others have pointed out, there are more roles (thus more opportunities) for shifting strategies on defense....................thus making the argument for more potential blackshirts.............

I don't have a problem with the numbers so much as I wish he would award them at the start of the season, and make changes to starters as necessary as the season plays out rather than waiting half of the year and then "surprise"....................

What if Persa and the non-traditional offense we see Saturday makes us look a little disorganized and futile ...................do we then rescind the blackshirts and make this a yo-you system throughout the year........??

To me Jason doesn't really have an argument any more cause the blackshirt tradition was lost when Charlie Mcbride left. To me since then the blackshirts have become nothing more than just a different practice jersey.

Actually that is the origin of the blackshirts, as a practice jersey. Bo uses the awarding of the blackshirts as a motivational tool, to get guys playing at their best. I haven't seen a list of the players, but I'm guessing that the number is based on the different defensive packages they play.

If Charlie McBride is okay with how Bo is using the Blackshirt tradition, then I'm okay with it.

• Fire 1

McBride regularly handed out 12 to 14 — even after he vowed to make it more exclusive. It's not practical to build a defense with 11 guys, McBride said, especially nowadays.

In the '70s and '80s, Nebraska faced the same personnel groups every week. The coordinator knew what defenders he was going to play.

Now you face a power running game one Saturday, a spread passing game the next. One week, you play three linebackers the whole game; the next you play six defensive backs.

"When you're the first-team player in the nickel and dime," McBride said, "you deserve a Blackshirt."

so that is 12 to 14. I think it's a shame Bo has changed this very cool, unique, staple of a Husker tradition. From the not handing them out before the season to giving them out to 20 players. Bo has literally changed the definition of "blackshirt" in a big way w/ how they aren't given to at least the starters automatically. If you earn a starting spot, you earn a blackshirt. That's how it has always been...that's the def of a blackshirt.

It's weird how fans pick n choose which traditions are sacred and which aren't. I would think this would be more sacred than us wearing all red for 1 game a season...or all white. Especially since even TO did those things.

Now this doesn't mean he's a bad or good coach...it just shows he doesn't really understand or respect the tradition as much as I hoped he would.

11 to 14 if you only consider the DBs that are substituted. Bo also switches out the DEs (which takes you up to 15-16), plus substitutes different DBs in his Peso package (takes you up to 17-18). And, then the injury to Crick takes you to 19.

Sorry I did not clarify my earlier post better. I have no problem with former players chiming in on whats going on, its just that JP has taken it to an out of this world new level. He brings any conversation back to his old playing days and how things were done back then.

Thats all he can do as he doesn't know what it's like to play for Bo or Carl

I couldn't agree with this any more. Bo has good defenses and knows what he's doing. But it seems like the Blackshirts have lost their pride and prestige ever since McBride left.

11 to 14 if you only consider the DBs that are substituted. Bo also switches out the DEs (which takes you up to 15-16), plus substitutes different DBs in his Peso package (takes you up to 17-18). And, then the injury to Crick takes you to 19.

Exactly. We don't run McBride's system of defense anymore, there aren't just 12-14 guys who are considered starters. The way we rotate people on the defensive line, we've basically got 8 starters there, not just 4. The way we use different packages in the secondary, we've got closer to 8 starters back there, not just 4. Times have changed.

For those saying that the Blackshirts have lost their pride or prestige, maybe you should ask the CURRENT players what they think of the Blackshirt tradition. I'm pretty sure they take as much pride in earning one of those things as any former player.

• Fire 1

and we have always subbed in players. they are called 2nd string. Grant Wistrom played a lot his freshman year and never got a blackshirt. I just think blackshirts should be for starters only...w/ McBrides exception of starters in different packages. Also, Crick doesn't still get a BS...he's injured.

• Fire 2

...and if you were a former blackshirt...so would you...

Thats what irritates me the most about former players and some current fans. They ramble on and on about what happened in the mid 90s and how the team was so dominate. That current the team should go back to way it use to be and all that BS.

I just wanna say.... "stop living in the past, douchbag."

At first I thought 20 was too much and then thought about how we use so much different personal, that it makes since. How many were last year.... 16???

For those saying that the Blackshirts have lost their pride or prestige, maybe you should ask the CURRENT players what they think of the Blackshirt tradition. I'm pretty sure they take as much pride in earning one of those things as any former player.

Will a player badmouth a Bo in public? Hmm... :)

Actually Jason Peter said he know of for sure 1 player that said he didn't understand why he got one. I think it's kinda like when Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize. (just an analogy..not trying to get political)

Will a player badmouth a Bo in public? Hmm... :)

Actually Jason Peter said he know of for sure 1 player that said he didn't understand why he got one. I think it's kinda like when Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize. (just an analogy..not trying to get political)

Heard the same thing during JPs blackshirt rant on the radio.

I willing to bet that all of the players know exactly what the blackshirt tradition means to this program.