So I'm reading lots of headlines about Dem wins in elections today...

What do you have to do currently to show who you are when you vote? Now that I think of it I show my ID when I vote. I admit I sort of just posted a lib conclusion on this. I mean I see how it technically makes people have to buy something(pay) to vote, but how else can you prove you are the person you say you are? Is the answer to have govt pay for the photo ID? I can see how that'd cost a lot of money, but most wouldn't do it because they'd rather just use their drivers license than go through the process of getting a free ID that won't allow you to drive...

My point is...a poor/homeless person should be able to vote w/out having to pay $10-$20 for an ID.

They need something or they could just keep voting over and over and then we would have another Al Frankin in congress. :ahhhhhhhh

What do you have to do currently to show who you are when you vote? Now that I think of it I show my ID when I vote. I admit I sort of just posted a lib conclusion on this. I mean I see how it technically makes people have to buy something(pay) to vote, but how else can you prove you are the person you say you are? Is the answer to have govt pay for the photo ID? I can see how that'd cost a lot of money, but most wouldn't do it because they'd rather just use their drivers license than go through the process of getting a free ID that won't allow you to drive...

My point is...a poor/homeless person should be able to vote w/out having to pay $10-$20 for an ID.

They need something or they could just keep voting over and over and then we would have another Al Frankin in congress. :ahhhhhhhh

ce6e34d3-1844-4001-9527-2c1ba74c0815.jpg

Voter ID isn't voter suppression. Geez. I hate when people used intentionally biased language to rename something neutral. It's at best misleading and at worst a lie.

Being able to just show a valid ID at the polls here in Minnesota would be much easier than what we currently have.

Depends on the intent, Calla. In Wisconsin, the state agencies have been given explicit instructions to not assist people with questions re: obtaining a free state-issued photo ID, and that state just passed a Voter ID bill that requires a photo ID or Driver's License to vote.

And for the record, I don't have a problem with mandatory Voter ID programs. But the government cannot pass these laws on one hand, and then make it difficult or obfuscate the process to obtain said ID, as is happening in states that have passed Voter ID laws. Since the later is happening without fail after the former takes place, those actions remove any doubt that vote integrity is the motive behind the implementation, and that voter suppression is the desired endgame.

I agree!! If you pass a law then you must help a person who wants to vote get their proper ID to vote!! That is the backbone of our democracy

:restore2

Good one!! chuckleshuffle

Isn't this an argument against the cost of the ID rather than the need to prove who you are before you vote?

which is why I also mentioned the idea of the IDs being free.

I had to google it...and this reminds me why I need to start watching SP again. :)

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103374/mr-derp

the government not supplying free transportation to voting places is voter suppression. or not allowing people to vote from home or the alley in which they sleep in.

just sayin

Well, let's just make the govt dress them, feed them, wash them, take them there, feed them again and then tuck them into bed!! Maybe if there is time they can read them a bed time story!! :nutz

And more Frankins would be a good thing.

If you want to ruin this country. And stealing a seat is not a good thing no matter how noble the cause. :devil

Al Frankin is one of the few good guys in the Senate, along with Sherrod Brown and the two guys from my state.

It was too bad that Norm Coleman pulled a Sore/Loserman and dragged his lost election through the courts.

Voter ID isn't voter suppression. Geez. I hate when people used intentionally biased language to rename something neutral. It's at best misleading and at worst a lie.

How would you feel if EBT cards were sufficient proof to vote while state issued driver's licenses were not? That is, people on food stamps were ready to vote with no further action while most everyone else had to go out of their way to get an ID just to vote. Well, if you want to vote, then surely those extra hoops to jump through wouldn't matter, wouldn't deter any voters right? It's not any different than what's being done now, but there would be almost unimaginable backlash.

The Bush justice department conducted a 5 year investigation into voter fraud and found a whopping 120 cases in which something like 90 people were prosecuted. Rather than accept reality though, that voter fraud is not a real threat, we've seen these voter ID initiatives being rammed through state legislatures which (coincidentally of course) have had the most monied backing in key swing states.