Michigan -- How Does NU win?

Stickney

According to Sagarin, we've played the #36 SOS and Michigan has played the #39 SOS.

Here's an article talking about how similar the two teams look. Major NCAA stat categories are on the right, and they are nearly identical, with Michigan's #7 ranking in Scoring Defense the major outlier.

Playing Michigan is going to be like looking in the mirror.

Both Mich and IA have solid defenses. 10 games into a season I don't think you can use schedule as an excuse to explain that away.

Mich is allowing very few points. That puts a premium on red zone offense.

NU can win this game, but they are going to have to contain D Rob and the run generally. Not something they have been particular good at this season.

Absent that, Super Rex & friends better have a monster game.

I don't think NU fans are going to see much "pressure" on Robinson. The d-line will play with a controlled rush forcing Robinson to "run away" from the play. NU will play man on the backside (with the backside DL just playing containment) allowing an extra person LB or DB to follow Robinson to the "play side". This will be the formula to contain Robinson and force a turnover or two.

With Dennard in a man-to-man, and Green playing in a zone with Stafford/Cassidy, the Wolverines might actually just play into the strengths that the Husker defense has. David/Stafford will be able to run and make plays.

Going out on a limb...Nebraska 38; Michigan 17 (Robinson will score at least once on pure athleticism)

NU offensively: keep doin' what you do!!!

If the d-line comes out and plays with a controlled rush, we can automatically mark this down as an "L". Sorry, but the controlled rush thing is the dumbest thing I have seen. It looks like the d-linemen are just standing around and not even trying. I mean, what's the point? So the QB has all day to sit back there and pick apart our D? The d-line has enough problems pressuring QBs and then you ask them for a controlled rush? Forget about it. Controlled rush equates to ZERO pressure and ALL day for WRs to get open and the QB to get them the ball.

Get after Denard with blitzes and let our d-linemen loose. That's the only way we have a chance to win this game.

Yup.

That's why I sometimes wish I could get a press pass, fly up to Lincoln and ask Bo point blank if that's the premise of his defense and WHY he runs that silly scheme? Again, if there is proof that we run this "patty cake DL" scheme by design, then Bo is simply not a very good DC. To me it just looks like we have no talent on the DL and that equates to guys not being able to shed blocks.

We got after the QB in the Mich St game. He was pressured all day long, but it was because we actually went after him. Obviously the QBs are entirely different players, but I can guarantee we will lose if Denard is not pressured. When he is pressured, he makes alot of mistakes. Will he scamper from time to time? Yes, but it's better than being picked apart in the passing game. And I understand he isn't a good passer, but when you have more than five seconds for the WRs to get open and for the QB to make a decision, it's pretty simple pitch and catch.

If we put pressure on him, we win this game.

That's what MSU did. They harassed the bejesus out of him. The question is - can NU generate that same pass rush without giving up huge runs? MI has found a RB now (Toussant) and he's very good. We'll have to keep the rush lanes in check. This is where great DE play comes in - and which we have ZERO talent. MSU had great DE play in that game.

I sure am surprised we have any wins, Imean we are constantly being told how little talent our team has. :sarcasm It is simply moronic to say that!

Michigan -- How Does NU win?

This is actually very simple... on paper.

1) Pressure Robinson.

2) Tackle well in the open field.

BTW - all the national predictions are in MI's favor. Only 2 that I know of (NE homers to boot) are picking NU (Kugler/Fiala)....

Anyone know what the Vegas line is?

D Rob has 2,475 of Michigan's 3,927 yards of total offense, or greater than 80% of their offensive production thus far. I don't think dedicating your best player to stopping that is wasting him. But I don't disagree with bringing Stafford down as the spy, either. Whatever happens, I think having our fastest guys on the field at any given time is the best bet. Leaving wide open spaces for Robinson to roam in are going to get us killed.

Yeah, it's closer to 60%, but point taken.

I don't have a problem with Stafford being dedicated to the run game either, because I don't think we gain much with him in pass coverage anyways.

For people bringing up spying on DRob, here's why that's a bad idea

"...How do you cheat to the quarterback when they have as much speed at the tailback position and at the receiver position that they have?" Pelini asked. "That's what our offense does to people -- we have enough speed on the perimeter, it's hard to cheat to a running quarterback. .."

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/the_spy_question.html

Too lazy to google this but what I found interesting is: MI's defense ranks 17th in average yards allowed (322.2) and 7th in average points allowed (16.1)! Yo! That's impressive.

How does that compare with PSU's?

Our OL against their DL will be the X-factor IMO - more so than stopping Denard.

Heh.....I'm also too lazy to look up current sos but Michigan's sos can't be anywhere close to ours.

DUDE! How did you rack up 3240 posts on here?

I didn't know that HP had an extradition treaty with HB... :confucius

This has been my major hangout for several years. NU forums come and go......SI (so sad....a terrific forum setup), HP (years ago before Clownahan), 360 (awesome forum.....again, so sad) and so on. A hopeless addict has to go somewhere, right?

Too lazy to google this but what I found interesting is: MI's defense ranks 17th in average yards allowed (322.2) and 7th in average points allowed (16.1)! Yo! That's impressive.

How does that compare with PSU's?

Our OL against their DL will be the X-factor IMO - more so than stopping Denard.

Heh.....I'm also too lazy to look up current sos but Michigan's sos can't be anywhere close to ours.

According to Sagarin, we've played the #36 SOS and Michigan has played the #39 SOS.

Here's an article talking about how similar the two teams look. Major NCAA stat categories are on the right, and they are nearly identical, with Michigan's #7 ranking in Scoring Defense the major outlier.

Playing Michigan is going to be like looking in the mirror.

Wow....I stand humbly corrected.

I don't get it but Sagarin is one sharp dude to be sure. Ouch!

I'll be able to tell if Nebraska wins or losses this game based on the first Michigan series. If we don't spy Robinson, he is going to kill our defense with his feet and we lose. Hopefully Bo learned from the Northwestern loss that sometimes you have to defend against a running QB. If the past serves as a portents for the future, we are in trouble.

Well, I'll be able to tell if Nebraska wins or loses this game based on our 1st series. If our Oline get no push (like NW) we lose. If they do we win. If they at least can hold their own somewhat then I'll use your scenario.

Defensively, we just "must" send some pressure. Super D........WHERE ARE YOU?

I have said the Super D comment numerous times. Look at Super D in 2003 and see his crazy stats ie led TFL, sacks, fumbles etc..... Bo created that beast and hasn't been seen since. What bout Osborne in that role? Hits like a train, big enough and quick enough. Could use Cooper or SJB as well. Something different no team has seen from us. Great wy to generate pressure. Robinson is a great running QB and non threat at passing. Let Dennard and Green go an on receivers nd use Stafford and or Cassidy in run support. Is Thorell fast enough to spy DR. ? Have we/has Bo ever used a spy? Maybe against Pryor at VT?

Oh, so have I. 2003's defense was a blast to watch & I really don't know why Bo has decided to stop the attacking blitzing methods we used then. They worked like a charm and would love to see it return.

GBR!!

The same one that surrended all of those points to K-State? :)

I think we played some really weak teams that year, and the Big Ten was mediocre, but not bad enough overall to warrant dragging down Michigan's SOS.

Doesn't matter. What matters is, if we'd have played them, we'd have steamrolled them. Ask Peyton Manning. There was more talent on one side of that Tennessee team (either offense or defense, your pick) than there was on that whole Michigan roster. Nothing was going to stop that 1997 team from letting Osborne go out a winner.

Bottom line is this - 1997 Michigan should be kissing Jim Delaney's hind end from here to China, thanking him for failing to jump on board the BCS (or whatever version it was at the time), because that is the ONLY reason they didn't play Nebraska, and that is the ONLY reason they have their little wall plaque right now.

I'll be able to tell if Nebraska wins or losses this game based on the first Michigan series. If we don't spy Robinson, he is going to kill our defense with his feet and we lose. Hopefully Bo learned from the Northwestern loss that sometimes you have to defend against a running QB. If the past serves as a portents for the future, we are in trouble.

Well, I'll be able to tell if Nebraska wins or loses this game based on our 1st series. If our Oline get no push (like NW) we lose. If they do we win. If they at least can hold their own somewhat then I'll use your scenario.

Defensively, we just "must" send some pressure. Super D........WHERE ARE YOU?

I have said the Super D comment numerous times. Look at Super D in 2003 and see his crazy stats ie led TFL, sacks, fumbles etc..... Bo created that beast and hasn't been seen since. What bout Osborne in that role? Hits like a train, big enough and quick enough. Could use Cooper or SJB as well. Something different no team has seen from us. Great wy to generate pressure. Robinson is a great running QB and non threat at passing. Let Dennard and Green go an on receivers nd use Stafford and or Cassidy in run support. Is Thorell fast enough to spy DR. ? Have we/has Bo ever used a spy? Maybe against Pryor at VT?

Oh, so have I. 2003's defense was a blast to watch & I really don't know why Bo has decided to stop the attacking blitzing methods we used then. They worked like a charm and would love to see it return.

GBR!!

The same one that surrended all of those points to K-State? :)

The same one that finished the "year" at 2nd in the nation in scoring defense (14.5 ppg).

I think we played some really weak teams that year, and the Big Ten was mediocre, but not bad enough overall to warrant dragging down Michigan's SOS.

Doesn't matter. What matters is, if we'd have played them, we'd have steamrolled them. Ask Peyton Manning. There was more talent on one side of that Tennessee team (either offense or defense, your pick) than there was on that whole Michigan roster. Nothing was going to stop that 1997 team from letting Osborne go out a winner.

Bottom line is this - 1997 Michigan should be kissing Jim Delaney's hind end from here to China, thanking him for failing to jump on board the BCS (or whatever version it was at the time), because that is the ONLY reason they didn't play Nebraska, and that is the ONLY reason they have their little wall plaque right now.

Oh, I agree fully. The last of their "hide in the doze bowl" methods got them the AP vote (& Bob Griese sobbing all over himself on national TV). That NU team would have steamrolled them.

D Rob has 2,475 of Michigan's 3,927 yards of total offense, or greater than 80% of their offensive production thus far. I don't think dedicating your best player to stopping that is wasting him.

Those stats aren't >80%. Just saying.

However, containing D Rob must be of emphasis. Using David to do so makes sense.

You are correct! I threw the numbers into Excel and .88 popped out, and I didn't pay attention to the numbers. Turns out I used 3,475 instead of 2,475. So it's 60%, or a little more. Thanks for catching that. +1

It's right around 63%. Jsayin'...