Let's lay off of Bo Pelini, DC, a little bit

zoogs

Yeah, I meant the offense couldn't get our defense off the field. Good catch.

The defense is also to blame because they can't stop a 3rd down to get themselves off the field. The big difference as 3rd down efficiency. UM was 8-18 on 3rd down (44%) which isn't bad, but isn't great either. I actually thought it was worse than it was by watching Thorell get picked on once again. The offense was 3-13 (23%) which is pathetic. So both sides sucked, (offense worse than the defense) but what I think the problem is that for Bo's defense to work you need to have an elite DL to make it work and we don't have that. So he eihter needs to find an elite DL in recruiting (good luck with that) or change it up a little bit.

You FAH's make me sick and I am embarrassed to be associated with such mental midgets. Last year you screamed at Bo to make changes. He did! Now you won't give him a chance to make the new system work. A new conference with teams unknown, an entirely different style of play, new coaching staff, injuries, and a young team. What more do you want? There are a bunch of teams out there who would kill to be 8 and 3 with a chance to go 10 and 3. Go support CU if you want something to criticize.

You probably expect that when you get hired to do a job you start at CEO! Please send your resume to Tom O. at the football office and perhaps you can get hired and do a better job. Or, better yet, continue to criticize the program and soon we will have a different staff, fewer good players, and Northwestern will be favored when we play them.

Please, none of the rose colored glasses or drinking Kool-Aid crap. I've been a husker supporter since 1952 and have no intention of letting a few loose cannons and fair-weather fans detract from what I believe is a program headed in the right direction.

What new system are they running on defense?

OK, before I say this, know that I am in no way, shape or form saying that Les Miles and Bo Pelini are on the same level as coaches. But it's something interesting I noticed, nonetheless.

After finishing the 2007 season 12-2 and winning a national championship, Les Miles' 2008 team went 8-5. Some notable losses - 51-21 @ Florida. 52-38 at home vs. Georgia. 31-13 @ Ole Miss. This is coming from a guy who had been there for four years and was taking criticisms for not having used "his players" to win that MNC. People wanted him out after 2008.

Fast forward three years later - Miles has arguably the best team in the nation that is probably going to play for another national championship in January.

Is Pelini heading that direction? That's not the point I'm discussing. The point is - after four years at LSU, Miles put out arguably his worst team during his tenure. Pelini doesn't deserve to be thrown out just yet, regardless of the fans out there who think we should be at a different level by now.

• Fire 1

OK, before I say this, know that I am in no way, shape or form saying that Les Miles and Bo Pelini are on the same level as coaches. But it's something interesting I noticed, nonetheless.

After finishing the 2007 season 12-2 and winning a national championship, Les Miles' 2008 team went 8-5. Some notable losses - 51-21 @ Florida. 52-38 at home vs. Georgia. 31-13 @ Ole Miss. This is coming from a guy who had been there for four years and was taking criticisms for not having used "his players" to win that MNC. People wanted him out after 2008.

Fast forward three years later - Miles has arguably the best team in the nation that is probably going to play for another national championship in January.

Is Pelini heading that direction? That's not the point I'm discussing. The point is - after four years at LSU, Miles put out arguably his worst team during his tenure. Pelini doesn't deserve to be thrown out just yet, regardless of the fans out there who think we should be at a different level by now.

Most aren't saying to throw him out yet. Most are just feeling like he's not the right guy. If after a couple more years there is no progress he's going to be on a short leash. I don't have a problem losing games if our team plays hard and is disciplined, but that's not the case with Pelini's teams. It's mistake after mistake and penalty after penalty. It's the way we play that bothers me. Even most of our wins have been sloppy. I have some questions about his recruiting on defense and why some of these guys are seeing the field and others are not. It will be interesting to see how he does with his own recruits in the next two years vs. what he had leftover from Cally.

Most aren't saying to throw him out yet. Most are just feeling like he's not the right guy. If after a couple more years there is no progress he's going to be on a short leash. I don't have a problem losing games if our team plays hard and is disciplined, but that's not the case with Pelini's teams. It's mistake after mistake and penalty after penalty. It's the way we play that bothers me. Even most of our wins have been sloppy. I have some questions about his recruiting on defense and why some of these guys are seeing the field and others are not. It will be interesting to see how he does with his own recruits in the next two years vs. what he had leftover from Cally.

From my point of view, if you don't think he should be thrown out yet, but feel "he's not the right guy", you're saying the exact same thing. It's like saying "you're fired" or "we don't think your work quality has been sufficient to retain your post at this time." Both mean the same thing, one is nicer than the other. I think saying you feel "he's not the right guy" is just a passive way of saying you want him gone.

I have those same questions you and many others do, but I also don't think we're at a position yet to decide whether or not "he's the right guy."

That's a good point.

Firing HCs is an act of desperation that has a huge price tag. Recruiting almost always takes a big hit and the program's coherence is shattered. No doubt it sometimes is the only & right choice but it sure isn't free.

Firing Frank/Bo for a bowl winning 10 - 3 season was insanely stupid. Look what that got us with Clownahan. If we fire Bo for winning 9 -10 -10 - (8-10) games a year what great HC would come here? U. Meyer himself in 2003 said a HC would be crazy to come to a program that fires it's HC for winning ten games.

We're just gonna have to hang tough for awhile. Either Bo makes the adjustments or he doesn't. We'll see....

GBR!!

From my point of view, if you don't think he should be thrown out yet, but feel "he's not the right guy", you're saying the exact same thing. It's like saying "you're fired" or "we don't think your work quality has been sufficient to retain your post at this time." Both mean the same thing, one is nicer than the other. I think saying you feel "he's not the right guy" is just a passive way of saying you want him gone.

I have those same questions you and many others do, but I also don't think we're at a position yet to decide whether or not "he's the right guy."

My hunch is that he may not be the right guy. But getting rid of him now wouldn't make any sense and I think he deserves at least a couple more years. No one knows for sure. I'm guessing back in the late 80s when TO was getting his ass handed to him in bowl games that no one would have predicted the run in the 90s. I don't want him gone as this would do nothing for our program but set it back again and we'd have to write a pretty hefty check to find anyone willing to come in and be our coach given our track record this past decade in our handling of coaches.

You FAH's make me sick and I am embarrassed to be associated with such mental midgets. Last year you screamed at Bo to make changes. He did! Now you won't give him a chance to make the new system work. A new conference with teams unknown, an entirely different style of play, new coaching staff, injuries, and a young team. What more do you want? There are a bunch of teams out there who would kill to be 8 and 3 with a chance to go 10 and 3. Go support CU if you want something to criticize.

You probably expect that when you get hired to do a job you start at CEO! Please send your resume to Tom O. at the football office and perhaps you can get hired and do a better job. Or, better yet, continue to criticize the program and soon we will have a different staff, fewer good players, and Northwestern will be favored when we play them.

Please, none of the rose colored glasses or drinking Kool-Aid crap. I've been a husker supporter since 1952 and have no intention of letting a few loose cannons and fair-weather fans detract from what I believe is a program headed in the right direction.

Ok, you've convinced me of one thing, you're old. Why is it that anyone who questions or criticizes Bo is an idiot or a mental migdget. While some of the post are over the top (much like some of those who offer up unfailing support and believe all is good in Huskerland), many if not most, do offer up well thought out insights and questions into Bo's running of the program. I have lots of concerns about Bo and his system, and I've brought those up. I don't think getting rid of him is a good option at all (Carl, now that may be another story), but becase I question, you label me a mental midget and fair-weather fan. Because I might disagree with you, do I insult you?

By the way, what is a FAH

Enhance, this is a great post.

A lot of people are acting like Bo doesn't know how to coach anymore.

The truth of the matter is the biggest changes have been to our roster. Talent level there goes in cycles. Some years up, some years down.