Our experience at "The Big House"

ohiohusker

Never really enjoyed my time at the big house. Some of the most arrogant fans you will find on the face of the earth, regardless of the teams record. Not to mention that every time I go there I've been harrassed in a similar nature, good thing is that they don't have much to say having to lost 4 years in a row to my Spartans right now !

Badgerfan, as a Husker fan, I have to say I am in complete agreement with you. Away games are supposed to be hostile environments! That's why it's called home field advantage. It's why Nebraska will continue to get their asses stomped in Wisconsin and Michigan and those teams will come to our stadium and feel like they never left their own back yard. Nebraska fans come to the game to sit and enjoy the show. That's fine, but they have to understand that most fan bases understand that they are part of the game. Fans can affect the outcome of games people. It's when Northwestern comes into Nebraska and beats our ass that the Husker fans should realize they did not do their part. Offenses like that can be hurt by lack of communication. Northwestern had no trouble communicating. The two loudest, most hostile fan bases we've seen this year, Wisconsin and Michigan, the worst two panty waist ass beatings we got slapped around like girls were...........hmmm? Coincidence? I think not. This pissing contest between Nebraska fans and everyone else is getting old. You all said the same sh#t about the Big 12 fans too. Getting mad at other fan bases because they choose to be vocal and aggressive in their duty to help their team? Get over it. I completely agree about personal attacks, cursing in front of children and any of that out of line crap that grown folks shouldn't be lowering themselves to. Getting angry because a fan base is loud, obnoxious and in a way sticking the flag into their own turf for all to see, well how can you get mad at that. Jealous maybe? I think so. I think a lot of Husker fans were shocked by what a 'real crowd' can do to change a game. We got a bit offended when we saw how much Wiscy and Michigan fans reflected the aggressiveness of their football teams. Those teams came out and hit us in the mouth and spit in our face. The same way their fans would if you came to their door and tried to beat them on their doorstep. Well I see a Nebraska team that would invite you in for coffee, offer you some fresh cupcakes they just baked, and pat you on your back and say have a great day thanks for stopping by. This team plays with the same lack of passion and aggression that their fan base represents.

Badgerfan, as a Husker fan, I have to say I am in complete agreement with you. Away games are supposed to be hostile environments! That's why it's called home field advantage. It's why Nebraska will continue to get their asses stomped in Wisconsin and Michigan and those teams will come to our stadium and feel like they never left their own back yard. Nebraska fans come to the game to sit and enjoy the show. That's fine, but they have to understand that most fan bases understand that they are part of the game. Fans can affect the outcome of games people. It's when Northwestern comes into Nebraska and beats our ass that the Husker fans should realize they did not do their part. Offenses like that can be hurt by lack of communication. Northwestern had no trouble communicating. The two loudest, most hostile fan bases we've seen this year, Wisconsin and Michigan, the worst two panty waist ass beatings we got slapped around like girls were...........hmmm? Coincidence? I think not. This pissing contest between Nebraska fans and everyone else is getting old. You all said the same sh#t about the Big 12 fans too. Getting mad at other fan bases because they choose to be vocal and aggressive in their duty to help their team? Get over it. I completely agree about personal attacks, cursing in front of children and any of that out of line crap that grown folks shouldn't be lowering themselves to. Getting angry because a fan base is loud, obnoxious and in a way sticking the flag into their own turf for all to see, well how can you get mad at that. Jealous maybe? I think so. I think a lot of Husker fans were shocked by what a 'real crowd' can do to change a game. We got a bit offended when we saw how much Wiscy and Michigan fans reflected the aggressiveness of their football teams. Those teams came out and hit us in the mouth and spit in our face. The same way their fans would if you came to their door and tried to beat them on their doorstep. Well I see a Nebraska team that would invite you in for coffee, offer you some fresh cupcakes they just baked, and pat you on your back and say have a great day thanks for stopping by. This team plays with the same lack of passion and aggression that their fan base represents.

How does being a prick to the opposing fans impact what happens on the field? You can be loud and influence the game without being a dick head. You are way offbase. We got our asses kicked because our players and coaches fell apart, didn't prepare well, didn't make adjustments, etc. Not because of what you are talking about.

• Fire 3

I was only giving my opinion on my experience at the game. On average, most of the fans were nice to us. I didn't really notice any exceptional loud fan base though. Obnoxious? Some were. Am I jealous? Absolutely not! Michigan fan aggressiveness? Is that why there are SWAT team members at all games?

First of all, I got this wild idea last Tuesday night, that since I realized we are only 5 hours from Ann Arbor, that we ought to go to the game! My husband wasn't working, so I started looking for tickets. Ended up just ordering from the University of Nebraska ticket office. We decided to leave Friday night and drive to Findlay, OH and leave early Saturday morning from there. The drive up was OK, until we got closer to the stadium. My Equinox has a Nebraska bracket around the plate and a huge "N" decal in the back window. We started getting Michigan fans pointing at us, making gestures, and honking their horns. We really had no idea where to park, so just decided to find a reasonably close spot and walk. We ended up parking in a frat house driveway for $30. Figured some college guys could use the money. (They even let me use their bathroom....and that is another story!) Anyway....on the walk to the stadium, we had comments about "corn", "farmers", and inappropriate comments directed towards Nebraska women. We noticed quite a few Nebraska fans too! The Michigan team buses drove up about that time, and we stopped to watch it. It doesn't compare to our Unity Walk at all. We needed to find the Will Call window, so asked an usher who was very nice. Welcomed us to "The Big House" and hoped we had a good time, etc. We got our tickets, but I had to throw away my 4 x 6 purse because NOTHING is allowed into the stadium. I had to take my license, cards, money, etc, and put them in the inside pocket of my coat. We walked a short time and headed to our seats. We were in Section 9, row 95, but at least with the Nebraska fans. All was good, until the row behind us filled up with Michigan fans. Rude, loud, drunken, obnoxious men. (I could not bring in my purse, but they had bottles of liquor.) From the time the teams were introduced to the end of the game, they did not shut up. The whole stadium booed us when the Huskers were announced. The smart a** comments were non-stop. I finally turned around and asked them to please chill out. A few other Nebraska fans asked the same thing. Their answer was, "Guess you didn't choose very good seats!" The weather was in the 50's and cloudy, but we enjoyed the experience. No doubt, we were disappointed in the outcome, but there is always next year. On the way out, the usher for the Nebraska section said, "I have been doing this for 12 years, and I can without a doubt, say you all are the best fans we've ever had here!" We were asked how we were treated and hoped we felt welcome there. There were also SWAT team members all over the place, but I was told that is normal, "after all, this IS the Big House" is what I was told. I suppose I might go back there, but I sure appreciate Memorial Stadium so much more now! Am I naive to think that that is the way football stadiums ought to be? A place of family, respect, being good hosts, and mid-western hospitality? Love our Huskers and let's hope for a big win over Iowa on Friday afternoon! Go Big Red!

Michigan fans pointing and honking their horns!? Annoying, yea possibly. Harmful or hurtful? Nah, just fans.

Corn, farmers and comments about Nebraska women? Corn in Nebraska? Yep. Farmers in Nebraska? Yep. Women in Nebraska? Yep. Probably the same as everywhere else.

Rude loud drunken obnoxious men? Sounds like a typical football fan to me. Maybe not the rude part, but who wouldn't love to take a bottle into the game. The outcries for beer to be sold in NCAA football games has been heard for years by a large majority of the college football fan base. Obnoxious? Yea, passion for the game can make you that way sometimes.

From the time the teams were introduced they did not shut up. I would hope not. Your supposed to cheer and be loud. If you can go all game long then I say good for you.

They booed the team? You mean, they didn't like us and wanted to beat the hell out of us and send us home with a loss? Yep, sounds like football to me.

The weather was in the 50's and cloudy, but we enjoyed the experience. No doubt, we were disappointed in the outcome, but there is always next year.

The most honest part. The weather was fair, you enjoyed yourselves, and the most hurtful thing you probably had to endure was watching the pathetic display Nebraska brought to Michigan to show the world on ESPN. There is always next year when they come to our house. I hope you cheer the way you choose to the same way they will continue to cheer the way they choose to. In the end as long as nobody gets hurt, it's really nothing more than that.

I was only giving my opinion on my experience at the game. On average, most of the fans were nice to us. I didn't really notice any exceptional loud fan base though. Obnoxious? Some were. Am I jealous? Absolutely not! Michigan fan aggressiveness? Is that why there are SWAT team members at all games?

I would assume that is exactly why. I could be wrong though. I've never been there to see a game. I didn't know there was SWAT members at all the games. Now I know and I have to assume it is because of the 110,000 people they crowd into that place. That's a lot of people.

Never really enjoyed my time at the big house. Some of the most arrogant fans you will find on the face of the earth, regardless of the teams record. Not to mention that every time I go there I've been harrassed in a similar nature, good thing is that they don't have much to say having to lost 4 years in a row to my Spartans right now !

Shocking. When I sat in the student section at Spartan Stadium in 2007 I watched two MSU fans urinate into cups and proceed to throw it on UM fans. That would never, NEVER happen in A2.

I am sure most of these people are good, working class folks that probably live very similar lives to most of you here. It's just that a lot of these people know how to flip a switch when game time comes. It's what Saturdays are for. Go have fun. Get loud, get goofy, back up your team and try to help them as much as you can. As long as nobody gets hurt, we are all big boys and girls and can handle all the other stuff. Can't we? Maybe that's the part I'm wrong about, hell I don't know. These players flip the switch when the game starts. They do and say some obnoxious things out there. They take some shots and dish some out. They get hands jammed into their faces and jam their hands into opposing teams faces. At the end of the game, we shake hands, say good game, and go on with our lives. That's football. Ndamukong Suh looks and sounds like a pretty ruthless crazy dude out there on the field. Seems like a pretty damn nice guy outside of that few hours every weekend though.

From my experince, we had some good experiences around the golf course (where most of the tailgating was), fans were being respectful, but this is because its more of the middle/older age group, then we walked up toward the frats and houses by the stadium and that was a mess, TONS of F*CK you's and middle fingers, they started throwing stuff at us too, but we figured its just douchy college kids doing their thing, then when we got to our seats, sec 36 row 81 or so, we got blessed to sit by a very unknowledgeable crowd, including listening to one guy constatly rant about the 1997 michigan team being bettter than nebraska, saying we had a loss? wherever he got that from, and he kept going on and on, any postitve play they had or pentalty against us he would yell "this is revenge, we won the title outright," he was an idiot, the stadium itself wasnt too loud, they got up on occasion on 3rd down and got into it, but not super loud, the student section was half full until about halftime when the kids finally started coming, after the game there was a mix of sh*t talking and congratulations, there were a few nice guys in our section saying that they know whats its like to lose like this on the road and wished us luck and happy to be in the BIG, id say when it was all said and done about 75% were nice and welcomed us to the big house, while the rest didnt...not complaining because i know thats what happens at away games, not everyone has perfect fans including ourselves, im glad to be back home though, the trip wasnt super fun, but okay, i had a better time in chicago for two days before! Ann arbor was too dull, then we talked to some iowa fans on our way back home, they also said Ann arbor was one of their most boring trips to any BIG school.

Funny that a Sparty is on a Nebraska board posting about UM. Spartan fans are so well known for good behavior. I would guess you guys have kept the tear gas vendors in business with all the riots in East Lansing.

Was in Section 9...Row 51...same section as Husker fans but they were much higher. Took forever to get in to the stadium and to go to the bathroom...I mean forever! But the coolness of the stadium made up for it. Had a couple in their mid 60's right in front of us...at first seemed very nice, but once the game got out of hand. The man kept making comments such as "Time to start the heavy drinking now? huh!" and "Welcome to the Big 10!" I mean whatever I guess. But half their student section wasn't at the game, you could easily tell. Then you had like 5 jackassess come up to ask us if my father and I had been to "The Big House" before. I mean obviously we go to "The Big House" all the time to watch Michigan games since we live in Nebraska (sarcasm). Good experience overall, not saying all their fans are like this, but the ones we ran into seemed a bit like an arrogant Forrest Gump.

P.S. Tailgating at the golf course is amazing! right across street from the stadium!

I am sure most of these people are good, working class folks that probably live very similar lives to most of you here. It's just that a lot of these people know how to flip a switch when game time comes. It's what Saturdays are for. Go have fun. Get loud, get goofy, back up your team and try to help them as much as you can. As long as nobody gets hurt, we are all big boys and girls and can handle all the other stuff. Can't we? Maybe that's the part I'm wrong about, hell I don't know. These players flip the switch when the game starts. They do and say some obnoxious things out there. They take some shots and dish some out. They get hands jammed into their faces and jam their hands into opposing teams faces. At the end of the game, we shake hands, say good game, and go on with our lives. That's football. Ndamukong Suh looks and sounds like a pretty ruthless crazy dude out there on the field. Seems like a pretty damn nice guy outside of that few hours every weekend though.

Still failing to see how being a colossal a-hole to the opposing fans helps the team. And before you criticize me just know that I yell to the point of passing out on every play. I will agree with you that our stadium isn't intimidating at all for the opposing team, but it's because they don't get loud enough when our team needs them to be, not because they are polite to visitors. It's on the players to play the game. We've lost this year because we were outclassed on the field, nothing more.

How does being a prick to the opposing fans impact what happens on the field? You can be loud and influence the game without being a dick head. You are way offbase. We got our asses kicked because our players and coaches fell apart, didn't prepare well, didn't make adjustments, etc. Not because of what you are talking about.

I never once said you should go to a game to be a prick or a dick head. So you sir are the one who is way offbase. Clearly this team and the coaches lost the game. I simply stated that the fans can have a great impact on a game. I didn't say they decide the game, but you can be a part of it if you choose to attend and be a part of it. Most of the fans at Wisconsin and Michigan were loud as hell, having a good time, and doing a good job of making it very difficult for our offense to communicate. Why does that make them pricks and dick heads? What the hell have I said that makes you think people need to go to the game and be collassal a holes to opposing fans? Please, show me what I've said that brings those intentions.

Funny that a Sparty is on a Nebraska board posting about UM. Spartan fans are so well known for good behavior. I would guess you guys have kept the tear gas vendors in business with all the riots in East Lansing.

Don't forget the flaming mattresses