Our experience at "The Big House"

ohiohusker

From my experince, we had some good experiences around the golf course (where most of the tailgating was), fans were being respectful, but this is because its more of the middle/older age group, then we walked up toward the frats and houses by the stadium and that was a mess, TONS of F*CK you's and middle fingers, they started throwing stuff at us too, but we figured its just douchy college kids doing their thing, then when we got to our seats, sec 36 row 81 or so, we got blessed to sit by a very unknowledgeable crowd, including listening to one guy constatly rant about the 1997 michigan team being bettter than nebraska, saying we had a loss? wherever he got that from, and he kept going on and on, any postitve play they had or pentalty against us he would yell "this is revenge, we won the title outright," he was an idiot, the stadium itself wasnt too loud, they got up on occasion on 3rd down and got into it, but not super loud, the student section was half full until about halftime when the kids finally started coming, after the game there was a mix of sh*t talking and congratulations, there were a few nice guys in our section saying that they know whats its like to lose like this on the road and wished us luck and happy to be in the BIG, id say when it was all said and done about 75% were nice and welcomed us to the big house, while the rest didnt...not complaining because i know thats what happens at away games, not everyone has perfect fans including ourselves, im glad to be back home though, the trip wasnt super fun, but okay, i had a better time in chicago for two days before! Ann arbor was too dull, then we talked to some iowa fans on our way back home, they also said Ann arbor was one of their most boring trips to any BIG school.

For the douche spouting off about the 97 championship I submit this, which is what I used to shut up a Michigan fan that works with me. Didn't have much to say about that.

12 games for 97 Michigan scored an avg. 26.83 against an avg. 9.5, 14.33 avg. margin of V.

13 games for 97 NU scored an avg. 46.69 against an avg. 16.46, 30.23 avg. margin of V.

NU Season Overview:

NU played 6 ranked opponents(final ranking): #7, 8, 18, 20, 23, 24 and beat a Tennessee team loaded with talent(Payton Manning, Jamal Lewis, Chad Clifton, Shaun Ellis, Leonard Little, etc.) by a score of 42-17 with 7 of those points coming against our scrubs on Tennessee's last possession of the game.

The Big 12 finished 2-3 in bowl games that season. NU's opponents scored an average of 8.8 pts through 3 quarters and when our scrubs got into the game the opponents averaged an average of 7.34 points in the 4th quarter.

Sidebar on the Mizzou game:

Everyone's argument against Nebraska is the Missouri game. The game in which we drove roughly 70 yds in 1:12 to tie the game up on an "illegal" kick. People fail to mention that our receiver was interfered with on the previous play at the 1 yd line(the same guy that caught the winning touchdown) and that on that "illegal" kick the guy trying the catch the ball first was interfered with again and couldn't catch the ball because his arms were pulled away. Even had we not caught the deflection in the endzone, we still had 2 seconds left and another throw to the endzone. We would have had yet another shot at the endzone had the refs not screwed up the clock around 20 seconds when our receiver got out of bounds easily but they kept the clock running anyway, forcing us to spike the ball on first down, thus losing a down and also about 5 seconds of valuable time. So you can see, not the most clearcut situation...

Michigan Season Overview:

Michigan played 3 ranked opponents(final ranking): #9, 12, 15 and escaped with a 21-16 victory in their bowl game despite being outgained in yardage by powerhouse Washington State.

The Big 10 finished 2-5 in bowl games that season. I could find no stats on opponents scoring breakdown by quarter, but I'd guess that given the relatively small margin of victory your starters were probably playing most of the 4th quarter thus skewing your defensive statistics a bit if comparing to Nebraska's.

I am sure most of these people are good, working class folks that probably live very similar lives to most of you here. It's just that a lot of these people know how to flip a switch when game time comes. It's what Saturdays are for. Go have fun. Get loud, get goofy, back up your team and try to help them as much as you can. As long as nobody gets hurt, we are all big boys and girls and can handle all the other stuff. Can't we? Maybe that's the part I'm wrong about, hell I don't know. These players flip the switch when the game starts. They do and say some obnoxious things out there. They take some shots and dish some out. They get hands jammed into their faces and jam their hands into opposing teams faces. At the end of the game, we shake hands, say good game, and go on with our lives. That's football. Ndamukong Suh looks and sounds like a pretty ruthless crazy dude out there on the field. Seems like a pretty damn nice guy outside of that few hours every weekend though.

I agree....most of those people are good, hard working people similar to us. I am definitely a big girl, but I guess I just don't understand what name-calling, insults, and obnoxious behavior have to do with college football. Saturdays ARE for college football, fun, getting loud, and backing up your team. I've been doing it for 45 years....probably much longer than you have. I am still hoarse this evening from yelling and cheering. And at the end of the game.....we did stand for our Huskers, and we chatted back and forth with other fans. As for the drunk, rude guys behind us? They stumbled down the steps before the game was even over.

I am sure most of these people are good, working class folks that probably live very similar lives to most of you here. It's just that a lot of these people know how to flip a switch when game time comes. It's what Saturdays are for. Go have fun. Get loud, get goofy, back up your team and try to help them as much as you can. As long as nobody gets hurt, we are all big boys and girls and can handle all the other stuff. Can't we? Maybe that's the part I'm wrong about, hell I don't know. These players flip the switch when the game starts. They do and say some obnoxious things out there. They take some shots and dish some out. They get hands jammed into their faces and jam their hands into opposing teams faces. At the end of the game, we shake hands, say good game, and go on with our lives. That's football. Ndamukong Suh looks and sounds like a pretty ruthless crazy dude out there on the field. Seems like a pretty damn nice guy outside of that few hours every weekend though.

I agree....most of those people are good, hard working people similar to us. I am definitely a big girl, but I guess I just don't understand what name-calling, insults, and obnoxious behavior have to do with college football. Saturdays ARE for college football, fun, getting loud, and backing up your team. I've been doing it for 45 years....probably much longer than you have. I am still hoarse this evening from yelling and cheering. And at the end of the game.....we did stand for our Huskers, and we chatted back and forth with other fans. As for the drunk, rude guys behind us? They stumbled down the steps before the game was even over.

Sounds like they had one heck of a good time too.

First of all, I got this wild idea last Tuesday night, that since I realized we are only 5 hours from Ann Arbor, that we ought to go to the game! My husband wasn't working, so I started looking for tickets. Ended up just ordering from the University of Nebraska ticket office. We decided to leave Friday night and drive to Findlay, OH and leave early Saturday morning from there. The drive up was OK, until we got closer to the stadium. My Equinox has a Nebraska bracket around the plate and a huge "N" decal in the back window. We started getting Michigan fans pointing at us, making gestures, and honking their horns. We really had no idea where to park, so just decided to find a reasonably close spot and walk. We ended up parking in a frat house driveway for $30. Figured some college guys could use the money. (They even let me use their bathroom....and that is another story!) Anyway....on the walk to the stadium, we had comments about "corn", "farmers", and inappropriate comments directed towards Nebraska women. We noticed quite a few Nebraska fans too! The Michigan team buses drove up about that time, and we stopped to watch it. It doesn't compare to our Unity Walk at all. We needed to find the Will Call window, so asked an usher who was very nice. Welcomed us to "The Big House" and hoped we had a good time, etc. We got our tickets, but I had to throw away my 4 x 6 purse because NOTHING is allowed into the stadium. I had to take my license, cards, money, etc, and put them in the inside pocket of my coat. We walked a short time and headed to our seats. We were in Section 9, row 95, but at least with the Nebraska fans. All was good, until the row behind us filled up with Michigan fans. Rude, loud, drunken, obnoxious men. (I could not bring in my purse, but they had bottles of liquor.) From the time the teams were introduced to the end of the game, they did not shut up. The whole stadium booed us when the Huskers were announced. The smart a** comments were non-stop. I finally turned around and asked them to please chill out. A few other Nebraska fans asked the same thing. Their answer was, "Guess you didn't choose very good seats!" The weather was in the 50's and cloudy, but we enjoyed the experience. No doubt, we were disappointed in the outcome, but there is always next year. On the way out, the usher for the Nebraska section said, "I have been doing this for 12 years, and I can without a doubt, say you all are the best fans we've ever had here!" We were asked how we were treated and hoped we felt welcome there. There were also SWAT team members all over the place, but I was told that is normal, "after all, this IS the Big House" is what I was told. I suppose I might go back there, but I sure appreciate Memorial Stadium so much more now! Am I naive to think that that is the way football stadiums ought to be? A place of family, respect, being good hosts, and mid-western hospitality? Love our Huskers and let's hope for a big win over Iowa on Friday afternoon! Go Big Red!

Sorry, to read about your experience at the Big House. Unfortunately, that's what happens when you combine idiots and alcohol. I met several Nebraska fans and had very nice talks with them. It’s terrible when some fans act like idiots.

As for your trip the stadium, might I suggest your next trip, (and please make a return visit) you park at one of the local hotels and take the shuttle bus. It cost $4.00 round trip, the bus drops you off in front of Crisler Arena (the basketball arena), you can see the Will Call window upon exiting the bus. After the game the buses are at the same location to take you back to the hotel. You can find info on the shuttle bus here: http://www.aata.org/football.asp . The South area is the best as far as the number of buses gong to and from the stadium - but the traffic in the South area is terrible. The North and East area are best for less traffic - but worse for less number of buses. Example: for the game against Nebraska, I stayed at my usual hotel on the East side. After the game, I missed the first bus because I stayed in the Stadium to see the players run to the student section to celebrate. I was about 10th in line for the next East bus, we waited for what seemed an hour for the next bus, while 4 South area buses came and went. The South area has the most major hotel brands and most major restaurant brands, but more traffic congestion, and on South State where the South area is located, they have what I call the “Ann Arbor Left Turn” or “Ann Arbor Loop Back”. To turn left at some junctions you don’t turn left at a light, you get in the left lane and basically do a loop back or a U-turn to get to a hotel or restaurant.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience - my general perception of Michigan fans is that as a whole (done by asking my fellow students' undergrad experiences at other universities) we're one of the friendlier crowds within the major FBS teams but obviously there will be the usual riffraff as well.

Never really enjoyed my time at the big house. Some of the most arrogant fans you will find on the face of the earth, regardless of the teams record. Not to mention that every time I go there I've been harrassed in a similar nature, good thing is that they don't have much to say having to lost 4 years in a row to my Spartans right now !

Shocking. When I sat in the student section at Spartan Stadium in 2007 I watched two MSU fans urinate into cups and proceed to throw it on UM fans. That would never, NEVER happen in A2.

There's a shocker, Michigan fan saying things that once again are arrogant and untrue. You must be delusional because I to have seen some of the poorest treatment I've ever come across when visitng Ann Arbor. Come on down from your dream world and realize that all schools have some bad apples that completely ruin the experience for visitors.

I had a quality time in A2.

Any harassment I took was fun-spirited. (I did get assholed off a frat lawn, that was fun. They wouldn't let me try their super huge beer bong :( )

Fans were hospitable.

I even slept in the dorms whilst wearing Nebraska gear and survived to tell the story!

Never really enjoyed my time at the big house. Some of the most arrogant fans you will find on the face of the earth, regardless of the teams record. Not to mention that every time I go there I've been harrassed in a similar nature, good thing is that they don't have much to say having to lost 4 years in a row to my Spartans right now !

Shocking. When I sat in the student section at Spartan Stadium in 2007 I watched two MSU fans urinate into cups and proceed to throw it on UM fans. That would never, NEVER happen in A2.

There's a shocker, Michigan fan saying things that once again are arrogant and untrue. You must be delusional because I to have seen some of the poorest treatment I've ever come across when visitng Ann Arbor. Come on down from your dream world and realize that all schools have some bad apples that completely ruin the experience for visitors.

This will be my last post on the matter because I don't want to clog up a Nebraska message board with MSU garbage. This IS true. The only delusional thing is your inability to come to grips with the fact that State has one of the worst reputations in the whole conference.

Nebraska fans, I'm sorry if you had any bad experiences. Thought all the people I met from NU were really cool. Waited in line for a half an hour to try and see Suh at a bar on Friday night. Yeah, he had already been gone for like an hour by the time I got there...

Badgerfan, as a Husker fan, I have to say I am in complete agreement with you. Away games are supposed to be hostile environments! That's why it's called home field advantage. It's why Nebraska will continue to get their asses stomped in Wisconsin and Michigan and those teams will come to our stadium and feel like they never left their own back yard. Nebraska fans come to the game to sit and enjoy the show. That's fine, but they have to understand that most fan bases understand that they are part of the game. Fans can affect the outcome of games people. It's when Northwestern comes into Nebraska and beats our ass that the Husker fans should realize they did not do their part. Offenses like that can be hurt by lack of communication. Northwestern had no trouble communicating. The two loudest, most hostile fan bases we've seen this year, Wisconsin and Michigan, the worst two panty waist ass beatings we got slapped around like girls were...........hmmm? Coincidence? I think not. This pissing contest between Nebraska fans and everyone else is getting old. You all said the same sh#t about the Big 12 fans too. Getting mad at other fan bases because they choose to be vocal and aggressive in their duty to help their team? Get over it. I completely agree about personal attacks, cursing in front of children and any of that out of line crap that grown folks shouldn't be lowering themselves to. Getting angry because a fan base is loud, obnoxious and in a way sticking the flag into their own turf for all to see, well how can you get mad at that. Jealous maybe? I think so. I think a lot of Husker fans were shocked by what a 'real crowd' can do to change a game. We got a bit offended when we saw how much Wiscy and Michigan fans reflected the aggressiveness of their football teams. Those teams came out and hit us in the mouth and spit in our face. The same way their fans would if you came to their door and tried to beat them on their doorstep. Well I see a Nebraska team that would invite you in for coffee, offer you some fresh cupcakes they just baked, and pat you on your back and say have a great day thanks for stopping by. This team plays with the same lack of passion and aggression that their fan base represents.

I was only giving my opinion on my experience at the game. On average, most of the fans were nice to us. I didn't really notice any exceptional loud fan base though. Obnoxious? Some were. Am I jealous? Absolutely not! Michigan fan aggressiveness? Is that why there are SWAT team members at all games?

You do know that our country is at war right? You do also know that a venue like UM Stadium is an appealing target to terrorists right? Those officers were there to protect you.

The belief that supporting your team as a fan and being loud in the stadium = verbally abusing visiting fans is pathetic. That attitude is just delusional enabling of shithead behavior. Fans can be loud in the stadium and support their team to the fullest without being dicks to visiting fans.

Edit - And being aggressive as a fan towards visiting fans doesn't reflect the aggressiveness of your football team. It reflects the worthlessness of that fan as a person.

It is interesting to read the different views people have on this issue. Seems everyone agrees that becoming physically abusive to visitors is not ok and most agree that being directly verbally abusive to visiting fans is probably going too far. I guess what I don't understand is how some people make the leap from being loud and supporting your team (which I have heard no one complain about) to hurling insults, objects, and foul language at visitors. Many people are saying "hey, it's to be expected" "it's a football game" etc. IMO there is a huge difference between doing what will help your team win (being extremely loud at appropriate times) and making visitors feel unwelcome and fearful for their safety. I don't think it should come as a surprise to anyone that yes you will run into jerks at virtually any venue. But it should also not come as a surprise that people who run into these jerks will complain about them and it will tarnish their opinion of that particular fanbase as a whole. Cheer for your team, show your support and school/team pride, and if you can, make it impossible for the opposing teams offense to operate but, it serves no earthly purpose to be rude, foulmouthed, or hostile to visitors to your campus, stadium, or town. If you struggle with that differentiaton or stick up for the a**holes that ruin gameday for many fans, you are more than likely part of the problem. There is no valid reason to behave that way and it should not be accepted or defended by anyone. The fans role is not the same as the players. Yes, players need to transition into a combat ready state of war and be extremely aggressive. Fans don't, they just need to be loud at appropriate times during the game. Big difference-learn it.

My wife and I went up from Ft. Wayne, IN. I have nothing but good things to say about the experience (of course except for the outcome). We parked in some man's front yard for $25. He told us where we could get food and hang out after the game as well as the best way to avoid the post game traffic. Very nice. When we got to the stadium we were welcomed so many times I lost count. In our section there was not a whole lot of red but we never really felt intimidated or anything like that. Everyone was relatively nice save for the goofballs you're going to find everywhere anyway. I really hope Michigan fans can have the same welcome mat laid out for them next year when they hit Lincoln. Maybe the game results will be better though. GBR!